PDA

View Full Version : Florida man cites ‘Bush doctrine’ after pre-emptive killing of neighbors at Labor Day cookout

Teh One Who Knocks
09-05-2013, 11:15 AM
By David Edwards - The Raw Story

http://i.imgur.com/n3eP16y.jpg

Lawyers for a Florida man this week cited President George W. Bush’s pre-emptive war in Iraq and the “Bush Doctrine” as a defense after their client killed two neighbors and attempted to kill a third on Labor Day.

Florida Today reported on Wednesday that attorney’s for William T. Woodward had filed a motion asking for charges against him to be dismissed under Florida’s Stand Your Ground law, which says that gun owners do not have a duty to retreat in the face of an “imminent” threat.

According to officials in Titusville, Woodward had snuck up on his neighbors while they were having a Labor Day barbecue. Police responding to the scene found that Gary Lee Hembree, Roger Picior and Bruce Timothy had all been shot.

Hembree and Picior were later pronounced dead. Blake survived, even though he had been hit 11 times.

In their motion, Woodward’s attorneys claimed that the victims had called him names and threatened to “get him.”

The motion referenced Enoch V. State, which suggests that an “imminent” threat can include something that is likely to occur at sometime in the future.

“I think legally that term has sort of been evolving especially given changes of our government’s definition of ‘imminent,’” attorney Robert Berry, who is representing Woodward, told Florida Today. “It’s become more expansive than someone putting a gun right to your head. It’s things that could become, you know, an immediate threat.”

The court document filed by the defense also cited “The Bush Doctrine,” a foreign policy principle used by President George W. Bush to justify the invasion of Iraq. “The Bush Doctrine” embraces “preventive” or pre-emptive war.

Goofy
09-05-2013, 12:00 PM
:nuts:

Fodster
09-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Eminem

Loser
09-06-2013, 11:53 PM
Sadly, it makes sense.

If a president can declare war on a nation that hasn't even threatened or attacked us, why can't this guy use the bush docterine as a precedence for stand your ground?

I'm not defending what he did, nor am I defending what that asshat bush did in iraq, but if a president can kill thousands in the name of self defense, without provacation, why can't this asshat?

*Just being the devils advocate here*

Acid Trip
09-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Don't forget that Bush had Congressional approval to attack Iraq. Iraq wasn't letting in UN weapons inspectors which goes against several UN resolutions.

Congress was given that power by the Constitution. Nobody gave this idiot permission to do anything.

BTW the fact this guy said "Bush Doctrine" means he's probably a hardcore lefty.

Loser
09-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Don't forget that Bush had Congressional approval to attack Iraq. Iraq wasn't letting in UN weapons inspectors which goes against several UN resolutions.

Congress was given that power by the Constitution. Nobody gave this idiot permission to do anything.

BTW the fact this guy said "Bush Doctrine" means he's probably a hardcore lefty.

So by that understanding, when the police want to enter my home, and I deny them under the 4th amendment of the constitution, I can premptively protect myself from them?

The point I'm trying to make is that this whole, do as I say not as I do mentality, by asshats in power, is the reason our country began in the first place. To get out from under the british foot.

So when congress, the president, etc..., decide it's ok to premptively attack and kill thousands of people, without provacation, why can't this guy?

What makes them different from him?

Acid Trip
09-09-2013, 07:36 PM
So by that understanding, when the police want to enter my home, and I deny them under the 4th amendment of the constitution, I can premptively protect myself from them?

Yes and No.

No you can't "preemptively" protect yourself from the police.

Yes you can defend your home against Police who have not announced themselves and/or do not have a warrant. They have to follow the law for entering a residence. If they fail to follow the law it is within your rights to defend yourself.

This example doesn't hold water just like the Bush Doctrine defense fails to. Why?

Because the government is different from us. We the people have given the federal government certain powers. One of which is using our military as our elected officials see fit (unfortunately). Nothing in the Constitution gives citizens the power to do such a thing. We can defend ourselves (police example) but not preemptively strike anything.

I appreciate you being the devil's advocate but this is the most ridiculous defense I've heard of. Even the Twinkie defense is more believable.

Hal-9000
09-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Even if a girl gets followed home from her bus stop every night for a week by some shady character...if she gets a gun and shoots him using this theory, she'll go to jail.

She could of prevented a possible crime against herself, but thought crimes don't count according to your laws.

Acid Trip
09-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Even if a girl gets followed home from her bus stop every night for a week by some shady character...if she gets a gun and shoots him using this theory, she'll go to jail.

She could of prevented a possible crime against herself, but thought crimes don't count according to your laws.

Didn't Tom Cruise make a shitty movie about thought crimes?

Teh One Who Knocks
09-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Didn't Tom Cruise make a shitty movie about thought crimes?

Minority Report....it was shite