PDA

View Full Version : We should never 'move on' from the evil, pain, loss, lessons of September 11

Teh One Who Knocks
09-11-2013, 10:57 AM
By T. J. McCormack - WVOX 1460AM

http://i.imgur.com/mCdwh4h.jpg

I was living in Los Angeles on September 11, 2001. I remember my first visit back home to New York for Thanksgiving that year. My wife and I made the pilgrimage to pay our respects at Ground Zero -- at that point still very much the pile of rubble with the iconic twisted facade still jutting out.

Posters of the missing were still all around -- the collages of faces of the dead. Even this seemed to be like something out of a movie, much like the falling towers and dust clouds which engulfed lower Manhattan looked like so many special effects.

I remember not wanting to look at any of it. Not wanting to see the faces on the poster board, or look at the dust knowing that indeed there was a certain variety of ash in that dirt on the shoe or store window.

But I did look at all of it.

I looked closely.

I took it all in, and I was hurting.

I was crying. Whimpering right there on Wall Street.

I was nauseous.

I felt it was the very least I could do, for while I personally knew one person who died that day, and grew up with the widow of a fallen FDNY hero, I lost no relatives. No loved ones.

Still, I felt it incumbent upon me, as an American, as a New Yorker, as a fellow child of God to feel some pain, to be at least somewhat uncomfortable. Again, the very least I could do.

Nowadays around the 11th of September you hear a growing chorus of "I can't watch that anymore" or "They're showing the buildings again? Do they have to?"

There are people who want to forget it and move on. I'd like to say I respect that, but I don't. Not one bit.

We're not allowed to move on. With the exception of the families of the victims -- I shall NEVER sit in judgement of them -- we are not allowed to get past 9-11-01.

Every network should follow the lead of Fox News Channel and replay footage of that day. School children from the sixth grade on should see appropriate video of 9/11 with high schoolers seeing everything including The Jumpers. Especially, The Jumpers. For many, the most jarring of the images that day.

Students must learn about, and we must all remember and meditate upon the evil, the pain, the loss.

We must honor the bravery, the selflessness and the calm.

We must watch the video, we must listen to the 9/11 calls.

We must remember the attack was carried out by evil Islamic extremist terrorists. Sorry, but that's a fact.

We must look at the faces and read the names of the dead.

We must hear "let's roll" and get goosebumps, we must think of the parentless children and ache.

We must watch The Jumpers and try in vain to imagine that final decision.

Think about The Jumpers.

It is the very least we can do.

RIP Joe Riverso #70. RIP Joe Spor FDNY Rescue 3.

Goofy
09-11-2013, 11:56 AM
12 years gone and i still remember exactly where i was that day, watching it all unfold in a golf shop in Perth forever ingrained in my memory. RIP.

Richard Cranium
09-11-2013, 02:20 PM
I saw a young woman at the memorial last week crying and hugging a section containing the names of the victims of the flight into the north tower.. I lost it.. completely..

it was an interesting awakening, 9-11 has always been about the 343+ firefighters to me.. It's in my face everyday, I know widows, children, survivors and guys that just had the dumb luck to be off shift that day.

I saw the pain, maybe it was mom or dad, maybe it was a husband or boyfriend. or maybe it was a total stranger crying just because it was the natural thing to do.

Muddy
09-11-2013, 02:54 PM
My wifes mother volunteered there about a week after it fell and stayed for over a month. She died from a funked up cancer a few years ago. She was 59.

Noilly Pratt
09-11-2013, 04:01 PM
I was newly married and I awoke to a phone call from my wife's cousin and she was sobbing. All she could get out was "Turn the TV on".

Unusually, I had a job in Vancouver to go to - I was tech support for the Government and did lots of different jobs in various places. I'll never forget the sight of all the planes coming into Vancouver airport when it was ordered that all planes everywhere were grounded.

It was a route I'd travelled many times...over the Oak St. bridge. Usually in the time it took me to drive over it, 1 or 2 planes flew overhead at max. I lost count at 10. And they were coming in very fast and very low. I think that if 1 pilot had screwed up, it would have had a disasterous domino effect.

I arrived at the office to find that no one was working, that everyone was watching the coverage. And one woman was sobbing uncontrollably. The office manager told me her daughter worked at the world trade center and she didn't know if she was OK.

I quickly ran around to all of the offices and asked everyone if they were checking out the coverage, to come into the conference room and not use the internet unless absolutely necessary. I set up a laptop and a projector and had it on CNN for all who wanted to watch. People from neighbouring offices came in and watched - their internet was effectively not working, but as it was a government office, it was a T1 connection - very fast for that time.

I got on the internet and found phone numbers for the lady to call to see if she could find out about her daughter...she later found out that she had slept in that morning and was rushing to work when she had heard (not seen) the first plane crashing into the building.

I phoned all my offices, got on their PA systems remotely on the ones I could and told the staff to not bother using the internet, and asked the office managers to set up laptops and projectors in the main meeting rooms.

Not much work was done that day, given the slowness of the internet and the events unfolding.

Hal-9000
09-11-2013, 06:39 PM
I saw a young woman at the memorial last week crying and hugging a section containing the names of the victims of the flight into the north tower.. I lost it.. completely..

it was an interesting awakening, 9-11 has always been about the 343+ firefighters to me.. It's in my face everyday, I know widows, children, survivors and guys that just had the dumb luck to be off shift that day.

I saw the pain, maybe it was mom or dad, maybe it was a husband or boyfriend. or maybe it was a total stranger crying just because it was the natural thing to do.

The ones that get me are the jumpers and the phone calls...one guy shrieking as the 911 operator is trying to calm him down...another one hears something and knows it's his last seconds alive....and of course the chilling video showing the lobby and firefighters/police going up...office workers coming down the stairs are laughing, nervous....not really knowing what's going to happen 31 minutes later...

Muddy
09-11-2013, 06:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Cj2SpCh.jpg

perrhaps
09-11-2013, 06:55 PM
American Government reaction, 1941 - After the Japanese attack - "Remember Pearl Harbor!"

American Government reaction , 2012 - After Benghazi attack on 9/11/12 - "What difference does it make?"

My father, a sniper in the Pacific Theater during WWII, would have rolled over in his grave if he'd heard Hillary bleat that.

perrhaps
09-11-2013, 06:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Cj2SpCh.jpg

Gas them innocents!

Hal-9000
09-11-2013, 07:05 PM
American Government reaction, 1941 - After the Japanese attack - "Remember Pearl Harbor!"

American Government reaction , 2012 - After Benghazi attack on 9/11/12 - "What difference does it make?"

My father, a sniper in the Pacific Theater during WWII, would have rolled over in his grave if he'd heard Hillary bleat that.

Have you seen this book? It's an account of two men forming the first sniper units in Vietnam....I found it quite good

http://www.amazon.ca/13-Cent-Killers-Snipers-Vietnam/dp/0345459148