PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Alcohol Cause the Spins?

Teh One Who Knocks
09-19-2013, 01:00 PM
You lie down to get some sleep after a long night of drinking, and the room seems to be spinning uncontrollably. What gives?

The spins happen because of an odd effect alcohol has on your ears -- specifically, on three tiny, fluid-filled structures called the semicircular canals. Inside each of these canals is a fluid called endolymph and a gelationous structure called the cupula, which is filled with cells covered in fine, hair-like stereocilia.

As you move around, the movement of the endolymph lags behind the more solid cupula, distorting and bending it -- and those little hairs. When the hairs bend, the electrical signal they send to your brain is altered, helping you to make sense of the rotations your head experiences on each of the three planes the canals sit on -- movements up and down, left and right and backward and forward -- and keep your balance.

Booze throws this system out of whack. Alcohol thins the blood, and when boozy blood travels to the inner ear, it creates a density difference between the cupula and the fluid in the canals, and distorts the cupula's shape. The little hairs bend and send a signal to your brain that tells it you’re rotating when you’re really not, and this illusion of motion makes it seem like the room is spinning.

Some of the things that you most want to do when you’re good and drunk, like lie down and close your eyes, make the sensation worse, since you don’t have any visual or physical cues to counteract the false sense of motion. Looking at a fixed object and keeping your feet planted on the ground can help lessen the effect, but there's no real way to stop it.

deebakes
09-19-2013, 01:32 PM
:uwank:

redred
09-19-2013, 01:33 PM
if you leave one leg hanging over the side of your bed it stops the room spinning :tup:

FBD
09-19-2013, 01:51 PM
a good tile floor helps that :dance:

Acid Trip
09-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Or just get high and never worry about puking or the room spinning.

:bong:

Jezter
09-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Ha! I knew this already. :nana:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-19-2013, 04:15 PM
I have built a tolerance to the spins

Teh One Who Knocks
09-19-2013, 04:18 PM
I don't get the spins very often, but oh man, when I do get them, I feel like I'm moving about 100 mph :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-19-2013, 04:19 PM
if you leave one leg hanging over the side of your bed it stops the room spinning :tup:

That doesn't always work :nono:

If I have the spins really bad, I put my foot on the floor and now the whole room starts spinning instead of just me and the bed :puke:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-19-2013, 04:30 PM
:lol:

Hal-9000
09-19-2013, 05:10 PM
I slept on a waterbed for 20 years through my heavy drinking times...and there were a few nights I had to get up and sleep on the couch

DemonGeminiX
09-19-2013, 05:40 PM
[-(

Damn drunks.

redred
09-19-2013, 06:06 PM
I slept on a waterbed for 20 years through my heavy drinking times...and there were a few nights I had to get up and sleep on the couch

i couldn't do a water bed sober :lol:

Hal-9000
09-19-2013, 06:09 PM
i couldn't do a water bed sober :lol:

It was great most nights when I was hammered...kinda hard to put your foot on the floor though when things got rough

Teh One Who Knocks
09-19-2013, 06:13 PM
It was great most nights when I was hammered...kinda hard to put your foot on the floor though when things got rough

Arrrrrr Captain, thar she blows!

Hal-9000
09-19-2013, 06:14 PM
I was having intimate relations with a girl on my waterbed and she threw up...

:lol: hope it was the booze...

redred
09-19-2013, 06:17 PM

FBD
09-19-2013, 10:19 PM
yall already know what else I have to say for a remedy.

meditative concentration :dance: I dont know how much it actually reduces the timeframe, because time doesnt exist in that space. meditative concentration, or drunk-spins :lol:

but, since I have figured out a way to attenuate tinnitus with it...its gotta be attenuating the firing of those nerves a bit.

Jezter
09-20-2013, 09:45 AM
yall already know what else I have to say for a remedy.

meditative concentration :dance: I dont know how much it actually reduces the timeframe, because time doesnt exist in that space. meditative concentration, or drunk-spins :lol:

but, since I have figured out a way to attenuate tinnitus with it...its gotta be attenuating the firing of those nerves a bit.
http://chickencrap.com/media_images/4746.jpg

I don't think any sort of meditation is going to happen when blackout drunk...it is meditation and concentration at best to try to get your shoes and pants off without falling...

FBD
09-20-2013, 03:27 PM
:lol: what do you think I was doing the last time I was so drunk I couldnt move? I laid down on cement and fixated on turning the light of awareness around. Odd that I could still conceive such a thing after having way too much to drink and not enough food...but hey, when any movement whatsoever feels like its going to send out the technicolor yawn...