PDA

View Full Version : "Whispering" Ted Lowe dies aged 90

Goofy
05-02-2011, 12:45 AM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/05/02/whispering-ted-lowe-dies-aged-90-115875-23101113/

TV snooker legend “Whispering” Ted Lowe died yesterday aged 90.

The commentator whose hushed tones earned him his nickname had been following this year’s world championship from his sick bed, his wife Jean revealed.

She said: “His health had been deteriorating for the last 10 weeks.

“He went into a hospice a week ago and I could see he was slowly going. Ted still loved snooker and was watching it on TV.”

Lowe became a household name as a commentator after he began on BBC2 show Pot Black in 1969. He was known as the voice of snooker as the game’s popularity soared with colour TV in the 70s and 80s.

Fans love his quote: “For those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green.”

Commentator and former *pro player John Virgo said: “While cricket had its John Arlott and Wimbledon had Dan Maskell, we had Ted Lowe. He was wonderful.”

Lowe retired in 1996, months after he was awarded an MBE. Born in Lambourn, Berks, he developed his cue skills on a snooker table in a *relative’s pub.

A meeting with world champ Joe Davis was fateful.

Lowe recalled: “He *challenged me to a game with a four-black start. I beat him and it made the local news. Because of that I was invited to manage the Leicester Square Hall, the home of *professional billiards and snooker.

“It was there that I started *broadcasting in the 1940s.

“I was scared to death commentating on Joe Davis, who was a god to me. Sitting in the crowd I was terrified they would hear what I had to say, so I started whispering. The producer loved it.”

Fodster
05-02-2011, 02:53 AM
r.i.p Ted