PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates admits Control-Alt-Delete was a mistake, blames IBM

Teh One Who Knocks
09-26-2013, 05:01 PM
By Tom Warren - The Verge

http://i.imgur.com/zl6orXP.jpg

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates has finally admitted that forcing users to press the Control-Alt-Delete key combination to log into a PC was a mistake. In an interview at a Harvard fundraising campaign, Gates discusses his early days building Microsoft and the all-important Control-Alt-Delete decision. If you've used an old version of the software or use Windows at work then you will have experienced the odd requirement. Gates expains the key combination is designed to prevent other apps from faking the login prompt and stealing a password.

"It was a mistake," Gates admits to an audience left laughing at his honesty. "We could have had a single button, but the guy who did the IBM keyboard design didn't wanna give us our single button." David Bradley, an engineer who worked on the original IBM PC, invented the combination which was originally designed to reboot a PC. "I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous," Bradley said in an interview previously, leaving Bill Gates looking rather awkward. To this day the combination still exists in Windows 8, allowing users to lock a machine or access the task manager. While Windows 8 defaults to a new login screen, it's still possible to use the traditional Control-Alt-Delete requirement and a number of businesses running on Windows XP and Windows 7 will still use it every day.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-26-2013, 05:04 PM
I dont mind it at all

Acid Trip
09-26-2013, 05:21 PM
I like it. It's the one damn thing Microsoft doesn't change from version to version.

Goofy
09-26-2013, 06:35 PM
Better this way than a single button, single buttons can be pressed by mistake :)

Noilly Pratt
09-26-2013, 07:54 PM
It was meant for SW Developers to use to test programs. He chose the Delete key because it was far away from the other two keys.

http://i40.tinypic.com/x2wgf8.gif

He retired from IBM in 2004 after 29 years of being in the company. You can thank him for his team developing the first ROM BIOS of a computer, and he also headed the development of IBM's 486 and PS/2 computers.

People I know who were at that meeting mentioned said Bradley got big laughs at that conference, but Gates' joke fell flat.

Muddy
09-27-2013, 12:06 AM
Ol Billys gettin old!! Wow..