PDA

View Full Version : Teen David Schaffner Suspended for Doing the Right Thing, Turning in His Knife at School

Teh One Who Knocks
09-27-2013, 11:03 AM
By Chandler Smith, RYOT News

http://i.imgur.com/uFhFhjk.jpg

A 16-year-old teen in Pittsburgh was expelled for turning in a knife he accidentally brought to a football game.

In the woods before he came to the stadium, David Schaffner III was using the knife to “cut branches and whatnot,” according to his father. Unfortunately, young David forgot that he still had it in his pocket when he traveled to the game. Realizing his mistake, he intentionally turned in the knife to a security guard along with a written explanation.

As he headed in to watch the game the situation seemed handled. However, upon learning of it, the principal of the school immediately removed David from the game and now Schaffner is under 10-day suspension from Fox Chapel High School.

Fox Chapel School District’s zero-tolerance policies are designed to limit violence and drug use, with the inflexibility of the rules acting as a deterrent. The policies operate on the assumption that any violation of a rule, no matter the circumstance, is still a violation of the rule. These policies have harsh consequences, even if you try to do the right thing.

In addition to the absurd suspension, his case will be reviewed for possible expulsion on September 27th. To combat the charges the family has hired a lawyer. Attorney Phil DuLicente, in an interview with KDKA commented, “It’s utterly ridiculous. I mean, what are we teaching our youth today? To not be honest, to not be open and forthcoming.”

Schaffner’s father also expressed his outrage. “To me it sends a message… that you probably shouldn’t be honest,” he said, “because you’re going to get punished.”

This story is similar to that of a North Carolina Eagle Scout who was expelled last May. In that case, the boy faced felony charges after alerting school officials that he inadvertently brought his shotgun on campus, having left it in his car following skeet shooting.

FBD
09-27-2013, 12:48 PM
zero tolerance = zero brained

Acid Trip
09-27-2013, 01:12 PM
zero tolerance = zero brained

Its a case of "we don't to spend time reviewing the circumstances behind each case so we'll just treat all cases the same."