PDA

View Full Version : Author recounts trip to heaven and back at QC prayer breakfast

Teh One Who Knocks
09-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Tara Becker - The Quad City Times

There are two truths that Don Piper believes in: prayer and miracles.

"I think God is still in the miracle business in the 21st century," the Pasadena, Texas man told a packed crowd during the 19th Annual Quad-Cities Prayer Breakfast Saturday morning.

He learned those truths the hard way on a cold and dreary January morning in 1989.

The Baptist minister was on his way home from a church conference and driving over an old bridge when his car was hit head-on by an 18-wheeler.

Piper was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.

Piper, author of the New York Times bestseller "90 Minutes in Heaven," told the crowd that as emergency crews dealt with the wreckage, he found himself standing at the "pearly gates" of heaven.

He was greeted by his beloved grandfather and other people who had died before him. It was a place he didn't want to leave, he said.

On earth, word quickly spread about the accident and Piper's church began a massive prayer group that spread across the country.

"Twenty-five years later, I'm still meeting some of the people who prayed for me," he said.

A minister who had been trying to cross the bridge had witnessed the wreckage and asked if he could pray over Piper and sang a hymn, he said.

Piper, who was covered with a tarp in the car, regained consciousness and began to sing along the minister.

"I believe in miracles because I know I'm a miracle," he said.

It was a long road to recovery for Piper, who had brain damage and had broken every bone in his body except for his right arm.

After 34 surgeries and 13-months in a hospital bed and eventually was able to walk again.

Through it all, Piper said he realized that he was meant to help people who experience hard times and tragedies in their lives.

He also stressed to the crowd that heaven is real.

As Piper spoke, some people in the crowd raised their hands and exclaimed "Amen," while others wiped away tears.

The prayer breakfast is sponsored by Thy Kingdom Come Ministries, founded by David Pautsch in 1988, and is a city-wide event that brings together people from all denominations.

Nearly every table was filled in the large room at the RiverCenter in Davenport Saturday.

Event organizers said in a news release that they anticipated a crowd of about 2,000.

During Saturday's breakfast, attendees were treated to a performance by gospel music solo artist Guy Penrod, the former lead singer of the Gaither Vocal Band.

Gail Riedesel, 58, of Davenport, has attended the prayer breakfast every year since it began. Riedesel said she is a regular at Grandview Baptist Church on Davenport.

"I want to support prayer in the community and be with other Christians from all other churches," she said. "We all encourage one another. We need it."