PDA

View Full Version : Bank fees rise for 15th straight year

Teh One Who Knocks
09-30-2013, 05:42 PM
John Waggoner, USA TODAY

Bank fees rose for the 15th straight year, with fees for overdrafts and out-of-network ATM usage hitting record highs, according to Bankrate.com.

The average overdraft charge rose 3% in 2013, to a record $32.20, Bankrate says. The average cost for using another bank's ATM rose 2%, to $4.13 — also a record.

"Overdraft and out-of-network ATM fees are the low-hanging fruit in terms of raising fees," says Greg McBride, senior financial analyst for Bankrate.com.

Overdraft fees have risen so far that a recent study by Moebs Services says that it's cheaper to borrow $100 from a payday lender than it is to bounce a $100 check. The median price for a $100 loan from a payday lender is $18, Moebs says.

The fees in both cases are entirely avoidable, McBride says.

Overdraft fees were steepest in Milwaukee, where they average $34.16, and lowest in San Francisco, where they average $27.18.

Out-of-network ATM fees were highest in Denver, where they average $4.70, and lowest in Baltimore, when they average $3.59. The calculation includes the fee from the owner of the ATM and from your bank. The charge for using another bank's ATM rose 4%, to $2.60, while the average fee from your bank for using another bank's ATM fell 3%, to $1.53.

A few bank products became more affordable, according to the Bankrate survey of 10 banks in each of 25 large U.S. markets. The average minimum balance to offer a no-interest checking account fell 19% to $60.27 — about where it's been since 1998.

Good luck finding a free interest-bearing checking account: Just 3% were free to all customers, unchanged from 2012. But 95% of all the institutions surveyed would waive the fee if you kept an average balance of $5,802, down 5% from last year. Average monthly service fee fell 1% to $14.65. Average monthly service charge for a non-interest-bearing checking account: $5.54, up 1% from last year.

So far, fewer than 1% of banks charge for using a debit card.

"Fees continue to go up, and it's best to spend time strategizing how to avoid them," McBride says. "There's always room for consumers to shop around."

Banks do take notice when you leave, particularly when you take a big balance with you, McBride says. Seventy percent of consumers consider switching banks when checking account fees get too high, and those who are most likely to do so often have the highest balances.

DemonGeminiX
09-30-2013, 05:45 PM
Credit unions ftw!!!!

:dance:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-30-2013, 05:49 PM
I've used a credit union since I got my first over draft with BofA as a kid. Fuck that bank

Teh One Who Knocks
09-30-2013, 06:09 PM
I switched to a credit union earlier this year

PorkChopSandwiches
09-30-2013, 06:09 PM
:tup:

Acid Trip
09-30-2013, 07:11 PM
If people just pay attention to their balance they'll never have to pay a fee of any kind. It's not rocket science.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-30-2013, 07:14 PM
If people just pay attention to their balance they'll never have to pay a fee of any kind. It's not rocket science.

That's not true....lots of banks are completely doing away with free checking and there are times when you need cash for something and you aren't near one of you bank's ATM's.

That's just 2 examples.

Acid Trip
09-30-2013, 07:23 PM
That's not true....lots of banks are completely doing away with free checking and there are times when you need cash for something and you aren't near one of you bank's ATM's.

That's just 2 examples.

If your bank charges you for out-of-network ATMs you should switch banks. That's just a plain rip off. There is zero inconvenience for your home bank if you take your money out of another ATM. Some banks (like the one I use) even rebate up to $25 of fees other banks charge for using their ATMs.

The second example is the same. If they don't have a free account available don't bank there. Just because the mega banks are doing away with free checking doesn't mean they all are. Almost any bank will give you a free account if you setup one direct deposit monthly like a paycheck.

FBD
09-30-2013, 07:26 PM
lovin' usaa's policy on divorcees :dance:

Loser
09-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Credit unions ftw!!!!

:dance:

I took all my money out of Bofa after they charged my dad 15$ to cash a check from me. He didnt have an account there.

I withdrew over 150k, and told the manager to go fuck himself.

Acid Trip
09-30-2013, 08:45 PM
lovin' usaa's policy on divorcees :dance:

:tup: Best bank in the United States hands down.

Noilly Pratt
09-30-2013, 10:58 PM

Def. not true in Canada. Over the years I bank-hopped and kept a Credit Union account just for savings...it used to be true if you had an old account you weren't charged a lot of fees if that was what your account specified, but they did away with that 2 years ago. I put everything over to a Credit Union last year and never looked back.

I went in on my birthday and they wished me well that day.