PDA

View Full Version : The U.S. Government Shutdown

Hal-9000
10-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Can someone explain what's happened and the reasoning behind it in simple terms?

I don't have time to pour over multiple websites trying to understand what has happened and haven't watched the news in a few days.

Thanks

PorkChopSandwiches
10-03-2013, 09:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/MSkEQsm.jpg

KevinD
10-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Simply? Here goes. Democrats demand free reign for everything they want. SOME republicans are blocking that. The head Dems got their panties in a wad and refuse to negotiate.
Keep in mind, these are the same asshats who have refused to make a budget for the past 3 years or so.

Think of a kindergarten child, throwing a tantrum because he can't have two pudding treats.

Goofy
10-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Girly bastards said they won't approve the budget unless Obama drops his healthcare thing
Obama said suck my big black cock
Girly bastards closed everything down
Obama doesnt give a fuck

Something like that i think Hal :)

Acid Trip
10-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Republicans want to delay implementation of the individual mandate for Obamacare for one year and in return they'll raise the debt ceiling and continue funding government. The individual mandate is the requirement that everyone buy health insurance or be fined by the IRS. Obama has already given businesses a one year extension and Republicans want that for individuals too.

Democrats say this Republican request is "economic terrorism" and they "refuse to deal with terrorists" who "hold the US economy hostage".

Neither side has budged on their stance.

The general population is too fucking retarding to know that a one year delay of the individual mandate IS NOT OVERTURNING OBAMACARE, just delaying it one year for individuals (which is what businesses already got). So of course Joe Idiot will probably blame Republicans for this.

KevinD
10-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Girly bastards said they won't approve the budget unless Obama drops his healthcare thing
Obama said suck my big black cock
Girly bastards closed everything down
Obama doesnt give a fuck

Something like that i think Hal :)

Sorry Goof, but the budget is not actually part of this. There has been NO budget passed in years. The House has repeatedly sent proposed budgets to the Senate, but the Senate refuses to pass it. At this time, the House is trying to limit the abomination that is Obamacare, and obviously, this is a sticking point.

KevinD
10-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Republicans want to delay implementation of the individual mandate for Obamacare for one year and in return they'll raise the debt ceiling and continue funding government. The individual mandate is the requirement that everyone buy health insurance or be fined by the IRS. Obama has already given businesses a one year extension and Republicans want that for individuals too.

Democrats say this Republican request is "economic terrorism" and they "refuse to deal with terrorists" who "hold the US economy hostage".

Neither side has budged on their stance.

The general population is too fucking retarding to know that a one year delay of the individual mandate IS NOT OVERTURNING OBAMACARE, just delaying it one year for individuals (which is what businesses already got). So of course Joe Idiot will probably blame Republicans for this.

TBH, I wasn't aware that the Debt ceiling was a part of it yet.

Acid Trip
10-03-2013, 09:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/a75BjnF.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
10-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Hal, without the politics bit involved, here's a pretty decent and basic description of what the government shutdown is (pinched from the Washington Post):

Short answer: There are wide swaths of the federal government that need to be funded each year in order to operate. If Congress can't agree on how to fund them, they have to close down. And, right now, Congress can't agree on how to fund them.

To get a bit more specific: Each year, the House and Senate are supposed to agree on 12 appropriations bills to fund the federal agencies and set spending priorities. Congress has become really bad at passing these bills, so in recent years they've resorted to stopgap budgets to keep the government funded (known as "continuing resolutions"). The last stopgap passed on March 28, 2013, and ends on Sept. 30.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-03-2013, 09:25 PM
TBH, I wasn't aware that the Debt ceiling was a part of it yet.

The President is throwing the debt ceiling into the mix because it's coming up in 2 weeks.

Acid Trip
10-03-2013, 09:34 PM
The President is throwing the debt ceiling into the mix because it's coming up in 2 weeks.

I wonder if it will go that long.

KevinD
10-03-2013, 09:37 PM
I knew it was coming, but wasn't aware that any of the current proposals (by either the House or Senate) have anything to do with it yet.

And the Post quote is pretty accurate. Thanks

Teh One Who Knocks
10-03-2013, 09:50 PM
I wonder if it will go that long.

Last date I saw was Oct 17th as when we would hit the ceiling, but I assume that's always just an approximation.

I knew it was coming, but wasn't aware that any of the current proposals (by either the House or Senate) have anything to do with it yet.

And the Post quote is pretty accurate. Thanks

I don't think any of the bills from the House or Senate have mentioned the debt ceiling, I think the President is pre-emptively telling republicans don't even think about passing a clean resolution to restart the government and then go and attach Obamacare to the debt ceiling negotiations.

KevinD
10-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Well, the Pres can go preempt himself...:lol:

Hal-9000
10-03-2013, 10:09 PM
thanks guys...still a little blurry

so what actual physical measures have been taken?

From AT's post it seems that your republicans have to ok various bills and fund them (?) and the dems are saying - Obamacare must pass for individuals, yet businesses have a one year delay before participating. The republicans are simply saying - Hey, you gave a temporary pass on businesses, why not the people too?

Your political system is perplexing :confused:

KevinD
10-03-2013, 10:23 PM
That's pretty much it Hal. If you want specifics, then there isn't really a quick easy answer. These things have building for decades, and quite simply, there is no easy way to resolve it.
I wouldn't be able to understand the intricacies of the Canadian government without some serious study.

KevinD
10-03-2013, 10:27 PM
I suppose, if you could see it from my view, it would be a battle between the powers that be (both dems and reps), the producers (working folks) and the burdens (non working)
Obviously, as a member of the working class, my bitch is about all those who don't (not can't, but don't) work and provide for themselves. My other bitch is the politicians (on both sides) who seem to believe that they have unlimited power and the right to decide what is best for all of us.

Hal-9000
10-03-2013, 10:28 PM
I read in another thread that some gov workers are being forced to work without pay or the promise of pay that will come later.

Is this part of the fallout?

I mean the headlines are brutal - Republicans Shut Down Government! ..or The White House In Turmoil, Will America Survive?

sounds like they're getting attacked or the economy is so bad that the US will collapse because of it....and it's based on one bill (Obamacare) that's starting this shitshow?

Muddy
10-03-2013, 11:01 PM
It's nothing more than Political Theater, Hal - because the House is passing these ridiculous partial funding bills - still holding the country hostage, and the Senate refuses to vote on a partial funding bill, they want the House to do its job, and pass an entire funding bill - as the Constitution requires them to do - with no rider to change existing laws (Obamacare).

PorkChopSandwiches
10-03-2013, 11:03 PM
And they are really only seeming to defund things for public use, not any of their own waste

Muddy
10-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Exactly.. They're teaching us a lesson.. Trying to build a coup..

PorkChopSandwiches
10-03-2013, 11:06 PM
They even have the money to shut down private visitor destinations

http://www.tehfalloutshelter.com/showthread.php?53283-Barrycades-Feds-Try-to-Shut-Down-Privately-Owned-Mount-Vernon

KevinD
10-03-2013, 11:34 PM
It's nothing more than Political Theater, Hal - because the House is passing these ridiculous partial funding bills - still holding the country hostage, and the Senate refuses to vote on a partial funding bill, they want the House to do its job, and pass an entire funding bill - as the Constitution requires them to do - with no rider to change existing laws (Obamacare).

Not true. House passed bills fully funding the federal government, except for Obamacare (or the ACA) that was rejected by senate. Then house passed bill again fully funding government, except to delay the individual mandate (employer mandate already delayed by presidential fiat, mass exemptions) The Senate refuses to meet and debate any bill that does not fully fund the Fed, with basically unlimited spending (at least until the debt ceiling debate). This is all he said/she said, true enough. These tactics have been used many times by the Democrats, but when Republicans do it...they are evil, terrorist, etc, etc.

Hal,
Government employees are indeed not getting paid. However, despite what some media would like you to believe, history has shown that in all previous cases, full back pack has resulted. Will this cause problems for some employees that are living paycheck to paycheck? Yes it will.

KevinD
10-03-2013, 11:49 PM
I stand corrected. Sorry, Muddy, I missed the piecemeal parts.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/harry-reid-blocks-funding-for-veterans-programs-national-parks/article/2536769

Muddy
10-03-2013, 11:52 PM
They just reinstated fema for the upcoming hurricane/ trop depr.

DemonGeminiX
10-04-2013, 12:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOawvogBQ8I

Jezter
10-04-2013, 10:07 AM
So...who wants to move to Finland? I've got one couch spot open. :tup:

Southern Belle
10-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Way too cold for me!

Jezter
10-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Easier to deal with cold than dysfunctional country.

FBD
10-04-2013, 11:19 AM
:lol:

the democrats cant/wont do a budget because there's at least a few people in there that realize how preposterously far off their math is, and they dont want to let the people know how utterly fkd the country's finances are.

Jezter
10-04-2013, 11:22 AM
:lol:

dont want to let the people know how utterly fkd the country's finances are.
Except that everyone already knows that...

Muddy
10-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Easier to deal with cold than dysfunctional country.

This is crap on T.V. We still live in an awesome beautiful country and have a good time..

FBD
10-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Except that everyone already knows that...

and just how many people do you think REALLY pay attention enough to know this? :D

DemonGeminiX
10-04-2013, 12:19 PM
So...who wants to move to Finland? I've got one couch spot open. :tup:

:hand:

Sweden's better.

:dance:

Hal-9000
10-04-2013, 02:03 PM
I think it's time for you to come under your big northern brother's care :tup:

we can call the new land - Can-America :dance:

Jezter
10-04-2013, 03:53 PM
This is crap on T.V. We still live in an awesome beautiful country and have a good time..
:-k
:nyan:
:party:

and just how many people do you think REALLY pay attention enough to know this? :D
Not enough, obviously.

:hand:

Sweden's better.

:dance:

:-k
:meh:
:overkill:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-04-2013, 03:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/sH5PfRW.jpg

Hal-9000
10-04-2013, 03:57 PM
that's Goof in the back row, trying to hide his tiny erection

Acid Trip
10-04-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm just waiting for our Lexington and Concord moment to get this party started.

I want the liberals out here to remember that approximately 75% of the US military (Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard) are conservatives. Also remember they swore to uphold the Constitution, not the President or his ideals. If Obama thinks the military will squash the coming revolution he's wrong. They'll be the bouncer and Obama is the unruly idiot.

Hal-9000
10-04-2013, 04:01 PM
:safehavenathalsplaceincanada:

:thumbsup: