PDA

View Full Version : Middle school bans 'hard' balls from recess

Teh One Who Knocks
10-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Jay Busbee - Yahoo! Sports

http://i.imgur.com/2KACMjc.jpg

A New York middle school has banned footballs for fear that children might get hurt.

There’s more to the story than that, of course, but that’s the basic gist: Weber Middle School in Long Island, New York, has banned hard footballs, baseballs, lacrosse balls and other recreational equipment, as well as some kinds of play, in an effort to help protect students from injury.

Overprotective nannying designed to reduce liability at the expense of kids’ enjoyment? A responsible measure designed to protect developing bodies from concussions? There are arguments for both sides, but either way, Weber Middle’s policy will start arguments.

The ban includes “hard” balls such as footballs, soccer balls and baseballs. Soft footballs are permitted. Also banned: “hard” forms of tag and other tackling games, as well as cartwheels without an adult present.

School officials cited injury rates as a reason for the policy shift.

"Some of these injuries can unintentionally become very serious, so we want to make sure our children have fun, but are also protected," Dr. Kathleen Mooney, superintendent of Port Washington School District, told a local CBS news affiliate. (Dr. Mooney has not returned requests for comment from Yahoo News.) Port Washington officials told CBS New York that other school districts have inquired about the policy’s specifics.

However, given the fact that the recess model has been in place for decades, there is the question of why the school would choose, at this point, to take such drastic action. CBS New York suggested that parents believe the school may be concerned about getting sued should students get injured during recess.

Weber Middle’s ban on certain kinds of recess is one of many stories of schools taking a harder look at whether day-to-day activities fit into their educational approach.

• In Iowa, students are banned from even looking at their cell phones because of overuse and fear of cyberbullying.

• In Michigan, an elementary school has created a “no tag, no chasing” policy.

• In Connecticut, a school banned the use of the phrase “Hump Day,” from the Geico commercial, because of disruptions in class.

Anecdotes aren’t evidence of a trend. Still, it’s clear that the school environment of today’s students is a starkly different one from their parents. Also clear: Students at Weber Middle and elsewhere will simply have to find more creative ways to entertain, and possibly injure, themselves.

These issues are far beyond the concerns of middle schoolers. For now, students at Weber Middle will simply have to find more creative ways to entertain, and possibly injure, themselves.

Goofy
10-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Children can get hurt playing sport? :shock:

Hal-9000
10-08-2013, 06:17 PM
told the story before...

we used to get a pink 'utility ball' for recess.....soft, gimpy ball...

so we used to divide into two teams and play a form a rugby we called murderball....you could run with it or pass it, no rules and all you had to do was get to the other end without being tackled...

we had so many bloody noses and bruises and scrapes that the vice principle took away our ball and our privileges for the year :lol:

so the bell would ring and 50 kids would sit down and mope for 15 minutes....

Noilly Pratt
10-08-2013, 07:43 PM
I remember Murderball...we did it too.

We had flag football, and of course took away the "l" when we referred to it. You had to instead of tackling grab a piece of cloth hanging from the guy's rear pocket.

I would have preferred more bruises...

"No tag, no chasing" = no fun. We're raising a paranoid society.

What's next? They're going to round down the sharp edges of the walls because they could hurt the kids?

FBD
10-08-2013, 07:50 PM
baseballs were traditionally banned that I recall, unless of course you're playing baseball in gym.

we did shit like tin foil ball home run derby, with a cafe tray as bat,

finding the high jump mats and dragging them out, jump and do flips off the top of the bleachers into 'em

go take a shit in the nun's toilet (you had to have a copy of the stolen key)

floor foot-hockey in the hall with a tinfoil ball, checking legal

ouija apple (stab a pencil into an apple, spin it, whomever it lands on gets accosted and the apple thrown at them)

Hal-9000
10-08-2013, 08:34 PM
I've played a ton of football both organized and pick up games.

The worst injury I got was during a weekend pick up game. I had these cool hot pink sunglasses and always wore them playing. The QB on our side had a stellar arm...I go out and do a button-hook, totally burn my defender and face the QB.....the football nails me right between the eyes and the sunglasses break into two off of my face :lol:

good thing I had about 6 beers in me and some funny cigarettes