PDA

View Full Version : Dog escapes owner, runs half marathon, wins medal, gets neutered

Goofy
10-09-2013, 08:14 PM
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/5858/71o5.jpg (http://img594.imageshack.us/i/71o5.jpg/)

Marathon runners in Indiana were left stunned when a chocolate Labrador decided to join the race to the finish line.

Boogie completed most of the 13.1 miles in Saturday’s event in Evansville and now race organisers have rewarded the canine with a medal for his efforts.

The dog finished the race in a respectable two hours and 15 minutes, which placed him above more than half of the race’s competitors.

Kim Arney, who lost her running partner near the start of the event, said Boogie ran alongside her before being taken to Animal Control.

‘I lost my race buddy about mile 4 or 5 and picked up a new one around mile 10,’ she explained.

Boogie had escaped from his leash, for the fourth time in recent weeks, the night before the race and was reunited with owner Jerry Butts following a police Facebook appeal.

‘Because he did not officially enter the race, we do not have his race times. However, we are confident he set a new course record for an unassisted dog,’ Evansville police said in a post immediately after the race.

‘Anyone who might recognise this champion runner is asked to help him get back home.’

Boogie, who has taken a lot of naps since his marathon exploits, is now set to be microchipped and neutered.

Hal-9000
10-09-2013, 09:12 PM
thread title :lol:

good job Boogie

Muddy
10-09-2013, 09:42 PM
Hey i win! Hey wait... What are you doing with that knife?

Hal-9000
10-09-2013, 09:46 PM
he'll never run a marathon again if he associates the neutering with a prize

deebakes
10-09-2013, 11:31 PM
:lol:

Goofy
10-10-2013, 11:43 AM
thread title :lol:

Yeah, was going "WTF?" when i spotted it :lol:

Pony
10-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Dog that crashed half marathon dies a week later

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (AP) — A dog that became an Internet sensation after crashing an Indiana half marathon has died just a week after receiving a medal for completing the race.

The 100-pound chocolate Labrador retriever named Boogie ran most of the 13.1 miles in the Oct. 5 Evansville event after escaping his leash the night before. Owner Jerry Butts made an appointment for the dog to be neutered after the race to curb his wandering ways.

The Evansville Courier & Press reports that Boogie died Tuesday of an apparent heart attack. He was 10.

Butts says on his Facebook page that the dog was a rascal and was "not being too shy to soak up the glory."

Boogie finished the race in 2 hours, 15 minutes.

DemonGeminiX
10-18-2013, 08:54 PM
:rip:

Noilly Pratt
10-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Awww

:rip:

In related news, my wife's cousin has the oldest living Irish Water Spaniel in N. America. Average lifespan is 9 years - Logan is 15.