PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharged Ford engine sets Daytona records

Teh One Who Knocks
10-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY

http://i.imgur.com/F69BEjv.jpg

A prototype race car with a new 3.5-liter, V-6 Ford EcoBoost race engine set a new Daytona single lap speed record of 222.971 miles per hour during a special record run attempt today, Ford says. The old record, set 26 years ago, was 210.364 mph set by Bill Elliott in a Ford Thunderbird during qualifying for the 1987 Daytona 500.

The records were engineered to show that Ford's huge bet on turbocharging, which adds power while saving gas, doesn't result in any sacrifices. Ford has applied EcoBoost engines across almost its entire line, from its smallest engines for its subcompacts to big V-6 turbos for its F-Series pickups.

Ford says the prototype also set other records, which are still subject to certification by an international body:

•A world speed record for 10 miles from a standing start of 210.01 mph on average.

•A speed record for 10 kilometers from a standing start of 202.438 mph on average.

"It was a challenging day," driver Colin Braun is quoted by Ford as saying. "There was a lot of work put in by a lot of people to accomplish these records. The power in the new EcoBoost engine was incredible, and it was amazing how fast it came up to speed on the runs.

http://i.imgur.com/E8xuUmt.jpg

KevinD
10-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Well, I hope the racing EcoBoost engines hold up better than the production ones.
As for the Lap record at Datona, I'd be interested to see what a modern NASCAR could do without restrictor plate. (Bill Elliot's lap was last race before restrictor plates iirc)

Muddy
10-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Do they not hold up well?

KevinD
10-10-2013, 10:09 PM
The trucks have had massive problems, though, no recalls, or news reports about it. Google F150 EcoBoost.

Pony
10-11-2013, 01:11 AM
Yea, a friend has been trying for over a year to get ford to admit there is a problem. They just keep passing the problem around instead of making any effort to help him.

KevinD
10-11-2013, 01:43 AM
Yep Pony, I have friends in the same situation.

Muddy
10-11-2013, 02:54 AM
My seadoo is turbo charged.. :oops:

Muddy
10-11-2013, 02:55 AM
Sorry supercharged..

Pony
10-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Yep Pony, I have friends in the same situation.

Yep, his biggest issues with the truck are a dangerously long lag when attempting to pass, gas mileage not as advertised (he's getting the same as he would with the V8) and an minor but constant vibration that's been tracked down to the 2 piece drive shaft. That they have tried to fix on many occasions but every time it comes back within a few hundred miles.

KevinD
10-11-2013, 06:19 PM
My buggy's problem is when it's raining, or very Humid (keep in mind this is Houston, 80% humidity is the norm in summer) if he tries to pass someone, or goes more than 3/4 throttle, the truck actually damned near stops running, then goes into "limp" mode. He's on 3rd ECM so far.

Pony
10-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Unfortunately it's probably going to take people getting killed by oncoming traffic while trying to pass before Ford will take any action.