PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday comes early as computer glitches cause welfare benefits frenzy

Teh One Who Knocks
10-15-2013, 10:58 AM
FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/MoU78zw.jpg

In some Walmart stores, customers emptied shelves like it was Black Friday, while in others, no one could buy anything -- all thanks to a weekend of glitches with the nation's welfare system.

Problems involving Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards, the government payments to the poor that are administered by states with the help of private companies, plagued at least 17 states Saturday and Sunday, creating retail riots. At Louisiana stores in Springhill and Mansfield, cards registered no spending limits, prompting recipients to go on buying binges.

"It was worse than any Black Friday,” Springhill Police Chief Will Lynd told local station KSLA-TV.

Customers said shelves were picked clean in a mob scene that left employees rattled. Walmart spokeswoman Kayla Whaling told the station the company made a conscious decision to keep ringing up goods rather than to cut people off.

"We did make the decision to continue to accept EBT cards (and purchases on WIC and SNAP) during the outage so that they could get food for their families," she said.

But when order was restored and the cards began reading properly, it became clear that some customers were out to take advantage of the taxpayer-funded program. One woman had $700 worth of merchandise in her cart and an EBT card with a balance of just 49 cents.

The glitches, which were apparently triggered by a a system failure at Xerox, which handles processing for many states, left other users unable to buy anything. At a Mississippi Walmart, customers rioted and even left the store with groceries without paying after they were unable to use their food stamp cards on Saturday, according to the Clarion-Ledger.

The mini riot happened at the Walmart in Philadelphia, Miss. Shortly thereafter, managers decided to temporarily close the store.

“For the safety of our customers we did make a management decision to close the store," Whaling said of the Mississippi incident. "We’re looking into everything; looking at surveillance video and working with the local police.”

While Walmart, as the nation's biggest retailer and grocer, was affected most, the glitch hampered customers at other stores, as well. In Massachusetts, nearly 1 million EBT card users were unable to access the SNAP food program or withdraw cash, said Matthew Kitsos, spokesman with the Massachusetts Department of Transitional Assistance.

“We didn’t have answers for them, except for that there were problems in the state,” the manager of a Market Basket in Somerville, who asked that his name not be used, told the Boston Herald. “A lot of people are depending on them. They have kids; they depend on that money.”

Xerox spokeswoman Karen Arena told USA Today that some Electronic Benefits Transfer systems were experiencing connectivity issues after a routine test of a backup system at a location in the Midwest caused an outage. U.S. Department of Agriculture spokeswoman Courtney Rowe underscored that the outage was not related to the federal government shutdown. Xerox runs EBT card systems for 17 states. All were affected by the outage.

Reports surfaced around 9 a.m. Saturday that customers' EBT cards were not working in stores. Other affected states included Alabama, California, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas and Virginia.

Pony
10-15-2013, 11:17 AM
:banghead:

Jezter
10-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Don't these fucking leeches have any respect and humility!? Fucking enrages me to read this shit! They get help and majority of them probably just leech off for the sole reason they are too lazy to actually do something. Then they have the balls to take advantage of it even more and try to get even more free shit. For fucks sake!

Pony
10-15-2013, 11:39 AM
I just hope they at least do not give them another dime on the cards until the debt is back to $0. I've a feeling though they will just get away with it with little more than a slap on the wrist.

Imagine what would happen if we all tried to defraud the govt out of hundreds of dollars?

perrhaps
10-15-2013, 02:50 PM
I just hope they at least do not give them another dime on the cards until the debt is back to $0. I've a feeling though they will just get away with it with little more than a slap on the wrist.

Imagine what would happen if we all tried to defraud the govt out of hundreds of dollars?

We'd get reelected to Congress?

Teh One Who Knocks
10-16-2013, 12:47 PM
By SUSANNA KIM - ABC News

http://i.imgur.com/hJP61v1.jpg

Walmart has no regrets about allowing a wild shopping spree at two of its Louisiana stores when an electronic glitch lifted the spending caps on the cards of food stamp recipients.

"We know we made the right choice," Walmart spokesman Kory Lundberg told ABCNews.com today.

The chain has no regrets even though Louisiana's Department of Children and Family Services said food stamp recipients should have been limited to $50 each during the emergency and that Walmart will have to pay the difference.

Lundberg declined to comment about how much the company may have lost or why it did not follow the emergency $50 limit.

Another Walmart spokeswoman Kayla Whaling said, "Our focus was to continue serving our customers."

Food stamp recipients jammed into Walmarts in Mansfield and Springhill Saturday when word of the glitch spread.

Springhill Police Chief Will Lynd said some customers were buying eight to ten grocery carts full of food.

The store in Mansfield temporarily closed because of overcrowding and Mansfield Chief of Police Gary Hobbs said some shoppers left with up to eight carts of food and then went back for more.

The food shelves were left bare and all the meat was sold as well, Lynd said.

The shopping frenzy was triggered when the Electronic Benefits Transfer system went down because a back-up generator failed at 11 a.m. EST Saturday during a regularly-scheduled test, according to Xerox, a vendor for the EBT system and based in Norwalk, Conn. The outage erased limits on the EBT cards.

The EBT system was affected in 17 states, where individuals and households access programs like Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, and other programs.

perrhaps
10-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Punish the merchant, who would have placed its employees and property in danger if it tried to control the Obamanation, and let the welfare thieves walk away without even a slap on the wrist?

Brilliant! Just fucking brilliant!

Hal-9000
10-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Don't these fucking leeches have any respect and humility!? Fucking enrages me to read this shit! They get help and majority of them probably just leech off for the sole reason they are too lazy to actually do something. Then they have the balls to take advantage of it even more and try to get even more free shit. For fucks sake!

Intelligent people receiving assistance would question the amount and hold off from spending it....

years ago our company duplicated a pay cycle...total pc glitch that resulted in every employee getting exactly twice the amount of their normal two week check.

some spent it immediately and then got pissed off when accounting recouped the funds....I called my boss at home and asked him if I got a raise :lol:

he advised, don't spend the additional funds...sit tight because IT'S OBVIOUSLY A MISTAKE!

Acid Trip
10-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Oh look, the people with their hands out decided to steal too.

Hal-9000
10-16-2013, 05:36 PM
like that bitch that won the lotto and continued collecting food stamps :facepalm: