PDA

View Full Version : Victims found holding hands in wreckage were married 68 years

Teh One Who Knocks
10-16-2013, 10:35 AM
by WHITNEY WARD & KREM.com

http://i.imgur.com/23TsFg9.jpg

CHATTAROY, Wash.-- The entire community of Chattaroy is mourning the deaths of an elderly couple killed Sunday night in a Newport Highway wreck. Floyd Nordhagen, 92, and Margaret (Kathryn) Nordhagen, 88, were holding hands in the wreckage when Washington State Patrol troopers arrived on scene.

“You don't see that everyday,” said Trooper Rob Spencer. “We actually had to ask her to let go of him, so we could get him out of the car.”

“I don't know if they were holding hands before he passed, or if she grabbed him afterwards but it doesn't matter,” added family friend “Britches” Peden. “They would have been holding hands if they could. so that's the way we all want to remember them.”

Peden said he used to help the Nordhagen’s take care of the farm and ranch land in North Spokane County. Flloyd loved his cattle like pets added Peden.

Friends told KREM 2 News that Floyd always bragged about Margaret and how pretty she was. The couple was married for 68 years in July. They have lived in Chattaroy for 45 of those years according to family friends.

When he started having a hard time pushing the lawn mower, they would push it together according to people who knew the couple.

Troopers said the couple was killed when they pulled out in front of an oncoming pick-up truck.

“All I can think is that maybe he misjudged the speed,” said family friend “Britches” Peden. “It could happen to anybody. We all make mistakes, but evidently that was a fatal one and I'm sure sorry to hear it.”

Two people were in the truck according to authorities. They said both the driver and passenger in the truck were okay.

The Nordhagen’s are survived by their four children, eleven grandchildren and 23 great-grandchildren.

Hal-9000
10-16-2013, 04:20 PM
:(