PDA

View Full Version : NH Clerk Fired After Pulling Gun On Armed Robber

Teh One Who Knocks
10-17-2013, 10:46 AM
By Bobby Sisk, WBZ-TV

http://i.imgur.com/MIVMc7I.jpg

NASHUA, NH (CBS) – His shift this past weekend started as it had for the past 10 years.

“It was a normal Sunday shift… Sunday into Monday 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.,” said Shannon Cothran, a clerk at the Shell on Main Street in Nashua, New Hampshire. Then around 3 a.m. Monday morning, a man rushed in yielding a knife.

“He was very heavily masked and clothed. He came directly in and produced a knife and came around the corner and threatened my life,” he said.

Surveillance video from the store backs him up. You see the knife in the man’s hand and then you see what happened next. Cothran pulled out his Ruger pistol.

“He just said, alright, alright and backed off and made his way out the door.”

Cothran had that gun with him for a reason. In the past couple of months, there have been upwards of 15 robberies in Nashua, many targeting convenience stores like the one where he worked. He says he knew it would eventually happen.

“It was just a matter of time,” he said.

He wasn’t hurt, and even though he has a New Hampshire permit to carry his gun, he was fired for violating company policy against it. And he said he knew that could happen.

“I knew exactly what I was doing I made a conscious choice to protect my life and put myself in a situation where I would have to find new employment,” he explained. Calls to Nouria Energy in Worcester, which owns the store, were not returned Tuesday. But Cothran applauded two of his managers for trying to save his job.

While Nashua Police Lieutenant Denis Linehan wants to make sure clerks have the proper training before arming themselves, he says Cothran was within his rights.

“The clerk acted appropriately. He did fear for his life. He was in close proximity to a deadly weapon,” Linehan said.

Cothran grew up with a father and grandfather who hunted and says he has years of experience with firearms. Linehan worries, though, about those who don’t.

“As a result of them (the criminals) being in a desperate state, they’re going to do desperate things and we just don’t want to see a clerk have a gun taken from themselves and used against them. So we would just encourage anyone who is going to be in possession of a firearm that they get that necessary training,” he said.

Police hope someone recognizes the suspect in the surveillance video from inside the store, and a Coleman jacket the man took off and dropped as he ran away.

While they track him, Cothran says he’ll now look for a new job. But he has no regrets about how he lost his last one.

“I really don’t feel that I did anything this noteworthy. I just wanted to get home to my family, that’s it,” he said. “I would rather find a new job than either be in a hospital bed or in a coffin.”

Nouria Energy Corporation sent this statement to WBZ-TV Wednesday:

At Nouria Energy, our employees are our most cherished assets. Their safety and the safety of our customers is priority number one. It is with that goal in mind that we do not allow firearms in the workplace. We specifically train our employees on how to react during a robbery attempt to prevent the situation from escalating. Cashiers are instructed to give the intruder what they ask for in an attempt to resolve the conflict peacefully and as soon as possible.

Make no mistake: we care about the personal well-being of employees like Mr. Cothran, whose years of service are truly appreciated–not about the money in the cash register. So, we are especially grateful that this situation was resolved without injury.

We do respect the constitutional right to bear arms. However, we believe the best way to keep our employees and customers safe is to prohibit weapons in the workplace. Our training and policies are aligned with what is customary in the retail/conveniences store industries and is consistent with advice offered by security and police organizations.

Acid Trip
10-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Make no mistake: we care about the personal well-being of employees like Mr. Cothran, whose years of service are truly appreciated–not about the money in the cash register. So, we are especially grateful that this situation was resolved without injury.

We do respect the constitutional right to bear arms. However, we believe the best way to keep our employees and customers safe is to prohibit weapons in the workplace. Our training and policies are aligned with what is customary in the retail/conveniences store industries and is consistent with advice offered by security and police organizations.

Is it me or does that sound exactly like something Obama would say?

Loser
10-17-2013, 03:52 PM
As someone that used to work in gas stations. I used to carry without permission.

Fk them.

I would rather get fired then get dead.

Hal-9000
10-17-2013, 04:20 PM
As someone that used to work in gas stations. I used to carry without permission.

Fk them.

friend of mine just after high school worked one of the first self serve gas bars....little booth...

guy hit him over the head with a friggin coke bottle (back when they were glass with heavy bottoms) and knocked him out cold

then the cops tried to accuse my friend of being in collusion with the robber....ffs he had a welt the size of a grapefruit..all for 100 bucks??

this is one of those times when I completely support gun ownership...the gun above had been robbed before and had every right to defend himself (black masked dude holding anything would be scary)

the authorities should be damn happy he didn't fire a few warning shots into the guy's chest and legs...I would have if I was in that same situation

FBD
10-17-2013, 04:24 PM
companies should just have a policy that if you do carry and have a situation, the company is not liable for damages or any personal injury that may result. this way it covers their ass on the legal side (which is why they have the no carry thing in the first place) and also lets these poor employees cover their OWN asses and not have to choose between firing and fatality.

Hal-9000
10-17-2013, 04:34 PM
we had a big trial back in the 80's.....drugstore guy named Kessler had been robbed and beaten in the past.....he bought and registered a gun, kept it under the counter..

two guys threatened him, he pulled the gun and chased them down the street outside of his store...he shot and killed one of the dudes...

he was treated as a criminal and it was pretty cool....most of the city's residents supported him and his actions. We're a non gun, peace loving society remember :lol:

he eventually got off any charges but it was tough battle for him...they accused him that he was just waiting to use it etc a la Bernard Goetz...

I fully supported his actions both then and now.

Acid Trip
10-17-2013, 04:34 PM

Fk them.

I carried mine back when I worked at a liquor store. The owner was totally OK with it (privately owned store).

PorkChopSandwiches
10-17-2013, 04:55 PM
So fuggin stupid

Loser
10-17-2013, 05:36 PM
One gas station I worked at, I was 16 at the time, and only filled propane tanks outside.

I left for another job doing labor work for a contractor. The night I left, two men came in, and beat this 50 year old woman damn near to death. Took 80$.

After that, every gas station I worked at, I carried. Didn't ask for permission.

Hal-9000
10-17-2013, 06:19 PM
we still have 7/11's that have two girls working the graveyard shift....supposed to be against the law yet I keep seeing it...

another job where they should be allowed guns for protection....they have time lock safes there that can't be opened and I could see a robber getting nervous if he didn't get any dough..

PorkChopSandwiches
10-17-2013, 06:42 PM
we still have 7/11's that have two girls working the graveyard shift....supposed to be against the law yet I keep seeing it...

:discrimination:

Hal-9000
10-17-2013, 06:55 PM
I dated a couple of girls from 7/11 and it amazed me....I go to pick up my pig at 3:45am and she's there with another girl waiting for some dude to start at 4am...