PDA

View Full Version : Man beaten by Denver officers awarded $795,000 by City Council

Teh One Who Knocks
05-03-2011, 05:43 PM
By Jeremy P. Meyer - The Denver Post

http://i.imgur.com/GbZk1.jpg

A man left bloodied by Denver police officers two years ago after a routine traffic stop was given a $795,000 settlement by the City Council on Monday.

It is among the largest payouts in city history to resolve a police-brutality case.

Alexander Landau sued the city in federal court, saying three police officers tried to cover up a Jan. 19, 2009, beating that left Landau scarred and suffering "persisting neurological damage."

The officers hit Landau with their fists, flashlights and a radio, and called him a racial epithet, according to the suit.

Police say Landau reached for one of their guns during a stop for allegedly making an illegal left turn.

Two of the three officers in the suit were recently fired for lying on reports concerning other violent incidents.

"I am so deeply disappointed that this took so long to see the light of day," said Councilwoman Judy Montero. "I wouldn't wish this on any community or any member of our community."

The council unanimously approved the payout.

The department's Internal Affairs Bureau originally reviewed the case but refused to begin a formal investigation.

"That investigation was poorly handled," said Mayor Guillermo "Bill" Vidal, who called the settlement "just."

Landau's suit includes graphic photos of the bloodied and beaten then-19-year-old college student.

Vidal said "chances were good we would lose this case in court."

The officers named in the suit were Cpl. Randy Murr and Officers Ricky Nixon and Tiffany Middleton. Chief Gerry Whitman was named in his official capacity.

Murr was fired in March for lying on a police report about an incident in Lower Downtown in April 2009 that was caught on videotape, showing officers beating up Michael DeHerrera. Nixon was fired last month for lying in a police report about a violent incident caught on camera outside the Denver Diner in 2009.

The city has reopened an internal-affairs investigation into the case.

"The city is commended for taking responsibility for this senseless beating and racial branding," said Landau's attorney, John Holland, in a statement. "The city has additionally agreed to improve its procedures to ensure that serious complaints of racial discrimination against law enforcement officers are fully investigated, not blown off, as Alex's complaints were."

Over the past few months that Vidal has been mayor, six officers have been dismissed and "several other officers have been significantly suspended," Vidal said.

He said the incidents of police violence are alarming but should be put in perspective.

"Our police officers contact citizens 500,000 times a year," he said. "There are 1,400 officers. This is a big city, and things happen. Certainly, you are going to have bad behavior by some."

Muddy
05-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Fuckin aye'! Best beatdown he EVER got.... :lol: Love the picture... *eye roll*

RBP
05-03-2011, 07:14 PM
They can kick my ass for $795,000 any day.

*speeds through Denver*

Muddy
05-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Shit, they can kick my ass for $1000...

RBP
05-03-2011, 07:17 PM
but there'd be medical bills

AntZ
05-03-2011, 07:22 PM

I thought people do that now for free?? :P

Hal-9000
05-03-2011, 07:26 PM
I'd take 500 and a free coffee from the po-po after a beatdown :dance:

RBP
05-03-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm the only one who qualifies because I'm black.

Hal-9000
05-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the reminder RBP....my rate goes up to 1000 if they throw in the N-word :thumbsup:

RBP
05-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Numbskull?

RBP
05-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Ninny?

Hal-9000
05-03-2011, 07:44 PM
I ain't gonna text it in plain site....

nancy-boy :(

Teh One Who Knocks
05-03-2011, 07:45 PM
They can kick my ass for $795,000 any day.

*speeds through Denver*

:beatdown:

I'd take 500 and a free coffee from the po-po after a beatdown :dance:

Hal-9000
05-03-2011, 07:47 PM
you reminded me of the old Star trek series...one ground breaking episode where a white man (Kirk) kisses an African American female (Uhura) on national TV.

They're being controlled by these ESP guys and made to dance, sing ect.
One of the 'cultured' ESP guys says to Uhura - What an enchanting Negress! :)

:lol: ffs supposed to be the 25th century

Muddy
05-03-2011, 07:49 PM

You gotta lotttt of checks to start writing.. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-03-2011, 07:50 PM
you reminded me of the old Star trek series...one ground breaking episode where a white man (Kirk) kisses an African American female (Uhura).

They're being controlled by these ESP guys and made to dance, sing ect.

One of the 'cultured' ESP guys says to Uhura - What an enchanting Negress! :)

:lol: ffs supposed to be the 25th century

I actually think that was the episode with Abraham Lincoln, wasn't it? :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
05-03-2011, 07:55 PM
You gotta lotttt of checks to start writing.. :lol:

I don't work for the cops, I'm a vigilante :nana:

RBP
05-03-2011, 08:07 PM
He attempts the rare cross-thread musical humor....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRwR33FLmrI

Hal-9000
05-03-2011, 08:07 PM

:suspect: hey...that badge looks fake

Hal-9000
05-03-2011, 08:08 PM
He attempts the rare cross-thread musical humor....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRwR33FLmrI

:confused: would you slow the fcuk down!!! Consider your audience here...

thx

RBP
05-03-2011, 08:11 PM
:confused: would you slow the fcuk down!!! Consider your audience here...

thx

:snapout:

Hal-9000
05-03-2011, 08:15 PM
I actually think that was the episode with Abraham Lincoln, wasn't it? :-k

I thought Abe was on with Spock's hero and Ghengis Kahn...

these guys wore tunics, made Spock play the Vulcan harp and made Kirk and Uhura dance...

Hal-9000
05-03-2011, 08:17 PM
:snapout:

Have you ever seen that road sign - Slow...Children Playing?

that's me :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-03-2011, 09:17 PM
I thought Abe was on with Spock's hero and Ghengis Kahn...

these guys wore tunics, made Spock play the Vulcan harp and made Kirk and Uhura dance...

I looked it up, I'm right, it's the episode called The Savage Curtain (and yes, that's the one with Spock's hero too)

Scroll down to memorable quotes....it's the second one on the list:

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Savage_Curtain_%28episode%29

Hal-9000
05-03-2011, 09:24 PM
I looked it up, I'm right, it's the episode called The Savage Curtain (and yes, that's the one with Spock's hero too)

Scroll down to memorable quotes....it's the second one on the list:

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Savage_Curtain_%28episode%29

boy..someone needs to be right :lol:
I saw the episode from the link and remember it.

I still disagree...there's an episode that I mentioned up there where they make Kirk and Uhura kiss and buddy says - enchanting negress - and it's not Lincoln.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Because I am right :hand:

Hal-9000
05-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Did you just call me the N-word??? :x

Because I am right :hand:

Hal-9000
05-03-2011, 09:29 PM
ok Mr. Smar-T-Pants....find the ep that I'm talking about and post some quotes from THAT!

I'll wait right over here..

Teh One Who Knocks
05-03-2011, 09:41 PM
You're talking about Plato's Stepchildren....no mention of the word negress in it, but Kirk and Uhura did kiss

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Plato%27s_Stepchildren_%28episode%29

Hal-9000
05-03-2011, 09:48 PM
It was there!!!! :x

I do like this tho regarding 'the kiss'....:lol:

"Also according to Nichols, NBC was afraid of the kiss because some stations in the South could decide not to air the episode because of it. Finally, an agreement was made: to film two versions of the scene - one where Kirk and Uhura kissed, and one where they did not. They filmed the first version (with the kiss) successfully, then she and Shatner deliberately flubbed every take of the latter, making it unusable, and leaving the kiss intact. Nichols writes: "The next day they screened the dailies, and although I rarely attended them, I couldn't miss this one. Everyone watched as Kirk and Uhura kissed and kissed and kissed. And I'd like to set the record straight: Although Kirk and Uhura fought it, they did kiss in every single scene. When the non-kissing scene came on, everyone in the room cracked up. The last shot, which looked okay on the set, actually had Bill wildly crossing his eyes. It was so corny and just plain bad it was unusable. The only alternative was to cut out the scene altogether, but that was impossible to do without ruining the entire episode. Finally, the guys in charge relented: "To hell with it. Let's go with the kiss." I guess they figured we were going to be canceled in a few months anyway. And so the kiss stayed."

Teh One Who Knocks
05-03-2011, 10:19 PM
It was there!!!! :x

Sure it was :empathy:

Hal-9000
05-03-2011, 10:22 PM
I'll have you know that I watched the ORIGINAL Star Trek run when it was first aired in the 60's :x (I was 3)

Then I watched it again when it went into syndication in the 70's :x (I was 8)

I remember every episode, every word, every plotline :hand: