PDA

View Full Version : Pope Francis Calls ‘Ideological Christians’ A ‘Serious Illness’ Within The Church

Teh One Who Knocks
10-22-2013, 11:35 AM
By Sarah Rae Fruchtnicht - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/d6h8kOI.jpg

Pope Francis called for a more open-minded Church on Thursday, suggesting that when a Christian “becomes a disciple of the ideology, he has lost the faith.”

Francis said because ideology is rigid and non-inclusive, it pushes people away and leaves out the grace of God.

“And, even worse, the Lord cannot be close to the people,” Francis said.

“The faith passes, so to speak, through a distiller and becomes ideology,” he said. “And ideology does not beckon [people]. In ideologies there is not Jesus: in his tenderness, his love, his meekness. And ideologies are rigid, always. Of every sign: rigid.”

It is judgmental and without exception, which Francis says is not the Lord’s message.

“The faith becomes ideology and ideology frightens, ideology chases away the people, distances, distances the people and distances of the Church of the people,” he said. “But it is a serious illness, this of ideological Christians.”

He said the Church does not want to keep the door shut and the key in its pocket.

He also claimed Christians who lose faith and prefer the ideologies are “rigid, moralistic, ethical, but without kindness.”

“The key that opens the door to the faith is prayer,” he said. “If there is no prayer, you always close the door.”

A person who does not pray is “arrogant, is proud, is sure of himself. He is not humble. He seeks his own advancement.”

That being said, he also warned, “It is one thing to pray, and another thing to say prayers.” He said people who are obsessed with Christian ideology don’t pray; they simply recite the same prayers they’ve memorized years ago.

deebakes
10-22-2013, 03:52 PM
:clap:

finally :tup:

Muddy
10-22-2013, 03:52 PM
:lol: love it..

Muddy
10-22-2013, 03:55 PM
I went to a wedding 2 weeks ago in a Catholic church.. The priest invited me up for a blessing.. I went up there and he blessed me.. . I thought regardless of my thought system it was a kind and positive thing towards me.. Anyway.. my conversation with him later at the reception revolved around my reasons for accepting the blessing.. I in so many words said you can thank this new popes awesome attitude and viewpoint for me letting my defenses down and at least listening to what your message was.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-22-2013, 04:18 PM
He is way out there when you consider his predecessors, but it may be too late to turn their train around. At least he sees their issues and is making an effort

Muddy
10-22-2013, 04:21 PM
The guy says if you are true to yourself and treat others properly god has a place for you regardless of your believing or not.. If that makes sense.

In other words.. Free thought is not a crime in the popes eyes.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-22-2013, 04:23 PM
He's a forward thinker

Hal-9000
10-22-2013, 04:27 PM
This guy fckign rocks...not just for this but for every one of his messages since wearing Teh Big Hat..

"It is judgmental and without exception, which Francis says is not the Lord’s message."

:thumbsup: I've been saying this for years

FBD
10-22-2013, 04:31 PM
I went to a wedding 2 weeks ago in a Catholic church.. The priest invited me up for a blessing.. I went up there and he blessed me.. . I thought regardless of my thought system it was a kind and positive thing towards me.. Anyway.. my conversation with him later at the reception revolved around my reasons for accepting the blessing.. I in so many words said you can thank this new popes awesome attitude and viewpoint for me letting my defenses down and at least listening to what your message was.

and at the funeral I was just at, the priest made sure to say a half a dozen different ways how you dont belong going up to the communion line unless you were a practicing roman catholic in good standing with the church :roll: fkn asshat. at a FUNERAL ffs.

Muddy
10-22-2013, 04:32 PM
He's a forward thinker

He's a realist.

Hal-9000
10-22-2013, 04:35 PM
and at the funeral I was just at, the priest made sure to say a half a dozen different ways how you dont belong going up to the communion line unless you were a practicing roman catholic in good standing with the church :roll: fkn asshat. at a FUNERAL ffs.

My uncle's was like that....2 hours talking about purgatory and 5 minutes on him near the end

they also made a strong separation between devout Catholics...and others... during the communion, with a physical gesture as you were receiving it...
I went up because I was close to my uncle...would not have otherwise.

faith in any form shouldn't be like that...it should embrace and respect newcomers, no matter what their personal leanings are

Muddy
10-22-2013, 04:35 PM

This priest (wedding) wasn't offering communion though.. That was only a ritual for practicing catholics.. I could dig that though.. Catholicism was their club and thats their secret hand shake.. Fine by me.. Thanks for thinking off me though and wanting give me a blessing.

Hal-9000
10-22-2013, 04:40 PM
One thing I enjoyed about my uncle's funeral....the priest was in full gear, right down to the white and gold robes and hat.....and he was wearing white running shoes :lol:

I mentioned that to him when we moved to the gravesite for part 2 of the service..

hal - Thanks for helping John (my uncle) are those regulation? *I point down to his runners*
priest - The Lord wants all of us to be comfortable within His house, no matter how serious the task at hand.

I liked that guy a lot

Acid Trip
10-22-2013, 05:08 PM

Went to a Catholic wedding 3 weeks ago and it was the same deal. Roman Catholics in good standing only.

Only about 20 people out of 100 went up :lol:

Noilly Pratt
10-22-2013, 08:28 PM
As a person who married an Roman Catholic I think I need to correct one thing... I can't go up there and receive communion, because I'm not a baptised RC, but if I cross my hands over, ANYONE can receive a blessing. That's how it should work if they adhere to their "rules".

The church we sometimes go here to isn't very friendly to new folk, devout or otherwise. My daughter goes to "Sunday" school (actually on a weeknight) and not many are very friendly.

This particular church doesn't mention the cross-your-hands-over option...however my sis-in-law's church does, and is much more progressive. Also, one I attended when on vacation in another part of my province was very inclusive of anybody, and did, which is the way it should be. And one I attended in GF's 'hood was VERY adamant that non RCs need not come up.

Baby steps, I suppose...