PDA

View Full Version : Lethal lunch boxes and the infestation of fear: Column

Teh One Who Knocks
10-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Lenore Skenazy - USA Today

http://i.imgur.com/Ql9yVSM.jpg

As PTAs across America swing back into action, parents are worried about grades, tests, bake sales (where still allowed), and, nowadays, contamination.

At my sons' public school in Manhattan a few years back, one of the moms wanted to ban whiteboards because she feared the fumes given off by dry-erase markers. Another was upset she had to give her son a brown bag lunch for a field trip -- not his usual insulated bag. What if his sandwich spoiled and he got food poisoning?

The opposite worry reared up just recently when a friend forwarded me a post from the website ChildrensMD titled, "Are Your School Supplies Safe?" It warned that toxic chemicals are present in vinyl "lunch boxes, binders and rain gear" at higher levels than permitted in toys, and suggested we toss our kids' licensed character lunchboxes.

This makes sense only if your kid is now excruciatingly embarrassed by his former favorite superhero. Because while the site warns about exposing our children to plastic softeners -- the same kind found in everything from shower curtains to hospital tubing, so we'd have a lot of avoiding to do -- it's exposing us parents to something far more dangerous and viral: Fear. The fear that anything less than an organic grape (cut into quarters) is out to hurt our children.

For vinyl to pose a danger, "Your kid would need to eat their lunch box," says Trevor Butterworth,of George Mason University's Statistical Assessment Service, a non-profit that examines the way the media and government use statistics.

Worrying about ordinary school supplies represents what I call "worst-first thinking" -- thinking up the WORST case scenario FIRST, and proceeding as if it's likely to happen. We see it when parents wonder if they can let their kids walk to school: "What if they get KIDNAPPED?" Or post their kids' pictures: "What if they get STALKED?" As for chemicals, worst-first treats them all like battery acid.

This fear seeps -- just like a toxin! -- into the schools. So a kindergarten teacher in Wisconsin told me she is now required to fill out a Material Safety Data Sheet on all the "chemicals" in her classroom, including baby wipes and dish soap. A mom in Colorado sent me the school rules for her kids' science fair project: "No microbial cultures, fungi, molds, bacteria, parasites. No flammable substances. No chemicals."

I guess they can study pen caps.

The fear is spreading so far and wide that recently, the ultra-progressive city of Portland, Oregon, voted to reject a plan to fluoridate its water – one of the greatest public health achievements of the 20th century!

I can't blame parents or even school boards for fretting this way, because we are bombarded by constant warnings: "Is your child's ________ safe?" But no matter how the news shows spin it, the answer is: Usually, yes. As Geoffrey Kabat, an epidemiologist at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, puts it, "We live in the safest environment that has ever existed in history."

What we do not live in is absolute safety, and that's what gives fear-mongers all the juice they need to jangle our nerves.

Allowing your kids to tote a vinyl lunch box is just not a danger worth worrying about. Neither is an uninsulated bag.

But if they eat the school lunch... there are no promises.

Hal-9000
10-22-2013, 06:16 PM
"The fear that anything less than an organic grape (cut into quarters) is out to hurt our children."

:rofl:

PorkChopSandwiches
10-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Thats why I make my kids eat lunch after their breakfast. I dont want them getting all that ziploc poison on the food either

Hal-9000
10-22-2013, 07:02 PM
lunch AFTER breakfast?

you wacky, zany, nutty Americans

PorkChopSandwiches
10-22-2013, 07:03 PM
immediately after, before they leave for school

Hal-9000
10-22-2013, 07:03 PM
we heard something a few years back about heating/nuking food in plastic tupperware containers...something about the toxins getting leeched during the microwaving...

yet I still have 7 co workers that bring their buffet-style lunches in multiple containers and heat them up every day.

Hal-9000
10-22-2013, 07:04 PM
immediately after, before they leave for school

are you being serious? :lol:

when's dinner...around 8am?

PorkChopSandwiches
10-22-2013, 07:10 PM
They have dinner at the bus stop,BEFORE they get on

Hal-9000
10-22-2013, 07:16 PM
you let them take the bus????!!!!! :shock:

I would be home schooling my children, to shield them from danger.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-22-2013, 07:20 PM
I couldn't do it, I don't have near the patience. I can hardly deal with these so called adults I have to babysit at work now.

Hal-9000
10-22-2013, 07:25 PM
In a way I'm happy I don't have kids...schools and rules today are quite different than I recall

I would kick my kid's ass for coming in 19th and still getting a participation ribbon :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
10-22-2013, 07:33 PM
My mom tried home schooling once, turned out I had already surpassed her math abilities the year before. :lol:

Hal-9000
10-22-2013, 07:36 PM
My mom had a steel trap mind for numbers and memory...

she could look at a shopping list 4 feet long and pick off an item that was supposed to be 1.49 rather than 1.69...

she'd remind everyone of birthdays, anniversaries and any math homework we brought home was a breeze for her...

Hal-9000
10-22-2013, 07:39 PM
I couldn't do it, I don't have near the patience. I can hardly deal with these so called adults I have to babysit at work now.

ahh your co-workers are all probably a bunch of religious zealots...

:face:
:dance:
:lol:

luv ya bro..

Noilly Pratt
10-22-2013, 08:07 PM
I bubble-wrap my child every morning, and have her strap her scuba tank on so she doesn't breathe in the toxic air.

The children laugh, but then I have her take down names, and then those children get sent to the weekly anti-bullying seminar.

:facepalm:

My wife started reading ChildrensMD and other websites of its ilk, and started getting paranoid, too. There is probably a study somewhere illustrating that everything we do is toxic.

Life will kill ya in the end, so have fun while you can, and seizure later...:wave:

PorkChopSandwiches
10-22-2013, 08:21 PM
ahh your co-workers are all probably a bunch of religious zealots...

:face:
:dance:
:lol:

luv ya bro..

I work at Shepherds Grove

http://www.shepherdsgrove.org/