PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Dem Polis wants Obamacare waivers for ski towns where premiums are high

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2013, 10:49 AM
by Eli Stokols - Fox 31 Denver

http://i.imgur.com/vNlcw3M.jpg

DENVER — Just as a handful of swing state Democrats have begun to echo calls from Republicans to delay Obamacare’s individual mandate a year due to technical problems plaguing the federal and state health insurance websites, Rep. Jared Polis is now pushing for a more limited waiver for his constituents living in Colorado’s ski towns.

In the three weeks since the Colorado health insurance exchange went live, not a single Summit County resident has signed up and bought a new policy, according to a report Wednesday by Health Policy Solutions.

The reason: plans for people living in towns like Breckenridge, Vail and Aspen are way too expensive — premiums are roughly twice as high as they are for citizens living in other parts of the state.

“It’s not about the system, which is working as best as we can expect,” said Tamara Drangstveit, executive director of the Family and Intercultural Resource Center, which is leading efforts in Summit County to enroll people in new plans.

“People are hopeful for the reforms and how they’re going to work,” she continued. “The issue is just the cost. People can’t afford it.”

As the concerns arose, Polis met with Colorado Insurance Commissioner Marguerite Salazar last week; but the two couldn’t find any solution that would lower premiums in Summit County right away.

Eventually, moving Summit County into another zone along with Jefferson County could cut those premiums in half.

But for now, Polis’s only real strategy is securing federal waivers for Summit County residents so they won’t have to pay the $95 penalty for failing to buy health insurance by March 31, 2014.

“The best thing will be whatever can be done to lower premiums right away, because we don’t want a bunch of people walking in the door, being unable to afford policies and being totally turned off by the process and walking away,” Drangstveit told FOX31 Denver Wednesday.

About a quarter of Summit County residents don’t have health insurance, many of them being young employees at ski resorts or hotels and restaurants that don’t offer full benefits or health care.

Colorado Republicans, who continue to beat up Democrats and the White House over technical problems with the online healthcare marketplaces that are making it harder for some people to browse and buy policies, cited Polis’s stance in calling for waivers across the board.

“We’re glad that Congressman Polis has seen the light,” said Colorado GOP Chairman Ryan Call in a statement released Wednesday afternoon. “However, it’s not just Coloradans in ski towns who need to be saved from the Obamacare train wreck. Working families, small business owners, senior citizens and young people across Colorado are struggling to pay their bills and they should all be saved from Obamacare’s high price tag.”

DemonGeminiX
10-24-2013, 10:58 AM
I just read a news article a few days ago where Florida Blue dropped something like 300,000 of their policies and told those people to go to the exchanges to get a new one... and the new policies are all more expensive.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Me and my g/f have been looking at the exchanges here in Colorado because she doesn't get health insurance at work and she has to get something or get fined. If this shit they call insurance is what they think is 'affordable', the administration is a whole lot dumber than I even gave them credit for....even the cheapest policies are expensive and they don't cover shit.

DemonGeminiX
10-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Is it more expensive than the tax penalty would be?

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2013, 11:15 AM
God yes, I believe the penalty the first year is only $300....the cheapest policies that would be worth anything at all, but still shit policies when it comes to OOP (out of pocket expenses) run anywhere from $250/month and up.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Oops, sorry, $320/month and up....this is the first page with the cheapest plans, they get more expensive the farther you go:

http://i.imgur.com/kUAG3cn.png (http://imgur.com/kUAG3cn)

DemonGeminiX
10-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Wow. That's rough.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Exactly....affordable my ass. She doesn't make a ton of money and she needs the insurance for her and her daughter. How can they justify charging around $400/month AND still have a more than $10K annual OOP expense and call that 'affordable'? :|

FBD
10-24-2013, 12:16 PM
because it was NEVER designed to be affordable in the first place - unless you are super rich or super poor.

KevinD
10-24-2013, 09:38 PM
FBD nailed it. The ACA was designed for one thing, and one thing only. To create a single payer program that the government controls. Don't believe it? take the time to read the full ACA, see how it affects existing plans (remember "If you want to keep your plan and doctor, you can?")

Muddy
10-24-2013, 09:42 PM
Wow.. This sucks Lance..

Muddy
10-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Oops, sorry, $320/month and up....this is the first page with the cheapest plans, they get more expensive the farther you go:

http://i.imgur.com/kUAG3cn.png (http://imgur.com/kUAG3cn)

Is that for her and the child? Or just her?

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2013, 10:41 PM
It does suck, and hard. It's for her and the kid, but those plans are crap. With that kind of OOP expense, why bother paying almost 4K a year in insurance premiums PLUS have to come up with 10K in deductibles? Plus that cheapest plan has no co-pay coverage for office visits, it's 30% coinsurance AFTER your deductible has been met.

What a fucking crock of bullshit this is.

KevinD
10-25-2013, 12:09 AM
I totally agree, and I feel for all of us that will be affected by it. Here's hoping something happens to resolve it.

Muddy
10-25-2013, 12:14 AM
It does suck, and hard. It's for her and the kid, but those plans are crap. With that kind of OOP expense, why bother paying almost 4K a year in insurance premiums PLUS have to come up with 10K in deductibles? Plus that cheapest plan has no co-pay coverage for office visits, it's 30% coinsurance AFTER your deductible has been met.

What a fucking crock of bullshit this is.

What about the govt plan? Or is that what this is?

KevinD
10-25-2013, 12:26 AM
Obamacare, and the Affordable Healthcare Act (ACA) are the same thing. So, yes, this is the government plan Lance (and many, many others are bitching about.

FBD
10-25-2013, 11:57 AM
cash concierge MDs for the win...its only a matter of time before doctors stop taking insurance

(and probably only a matter of time before some regulatory agency introduces a new law that nobody asked for or wanted aside from the insurance companies, saying its illegal for a doctor to refuse insurance)