PDA

View Full Version : Mall Memo: Black Friday Starts at 8 PM on Thanksgiving, Runs 26 Hours

Teh One Who Knocks
10-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Hamilton Nolan - Gawker

http://i.imgur.com/0Tcy8TI.jpg

With each passing year, it seems, American retailers find some way to make to make "Black Friday," the terrifying shopping day after Thanksgiving, a worse experience for their poor employees. This year is no exception.

Management at Rockaway Townsquare Mall in New Jersey sent out this memo this week to store owners so they can get their schedules set—oh, and, "as a friendly reminder all tenants are expected to follow the holiday schedule."

So, what do the employees who work at Foot Locker and Aunt Annie's Pretzel and Yankee Candle and every other store at the mall have to look forward to this Thanksgiving?

Thursday November 28th 8pm Opening

Friday, November 29th 10pm Closing

That's right: employees must have the stores open and ready at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving night, and keep the stores open for 26 straight hours until 10 p.m. the following evening.

"We thank you and wish you a successful Holiday season." But not a happy one.

http://i.imgur.com/7VlDBZV.png

DemonGeminiX
10-25-2013, 01:20 PM
I say this every year but: Fuck that shit. Not only will I not go out on Black Friday, but also there's no way in hell you'd get me to go out Thanksgiving night.

Muddy
10-25-2013, 01:21 PM
I say this every year but: Fuck that shit. Not only will I not go out on Black Friday, but also there's no way in hell you'd get me to go out Thanksgiving night.

No deals for you. [-(

DemonGeminiX
10-25-2013, 01:24 PM
They never have any deals on the shit that the people I buy for want in the first place.

:idk:

Muddy
10-25-2013, 01:35 PM
My wife usually watches the ads through the black Friday website and slips in somewhere and grabs one killer deal and then calls it quits.. If that makes her happy Im down with it.

perrhaps
10-25-2013, 02:40 PM
I love Black Friday! Every year we have 10-15 people over for Thanksgiving dinner. I circulate copies of 8"x11" maps of the United States, collect a dollar from each person, and have them circle an area on the map where they predict someone will die at a Walmart when they open the doors on Black Friday. Allowances are made for time zones with the winner selecting the earliest fatality in the time zone where it occurs.

"It's the most wonderful time of the year. Ding, dong."

Noilly Pratt
10-25-2013, 02:57 PM
I've worked in retail...often they'll sneakily raise the prices a little in September - say 6% and then lower them maybe 10%, or a similar ratio depending on the goods you're talking about.

The fix is in... :)

Muddy
10-25-2013, 03:01 PM
I've worked in retail...often they'll sneakily raise the prices a little in September - say 6% and then lower them maybe 10%, or a similar ratio depending on the goods you're talking about.

The fix is in... :)

Nah, we're talking about getting TV's and electronics for HALF price. $1500 TV for $750.. etc..

Acid Trip
10-25-2013, 04:17 PM
I would rather overpay for something if it means I don't have to spend hours in line next to a bunch of idiots hoping to save a few hundred bucks.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-25-2013, 04:19 PM
The only way to X-mas shop --------------> Amazon with Amazon Prime

Hal-9000
10-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Our Walmarts started staying open 24 hours over the Christmas season...it was hilarious seeing the workers in there

they looked like WW2 guys who fought for 2 weeks straight without a break...1000 yard stare and everything :lol: