PDA

View Full Version : Mother and daughter spark outrage when they wear matching 'white trash' Halloween costumes to a party at an ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

Teh One Who Knocks
10-28-2013, 12:15 PM
By Daily Mail Reporter

Matching mother-daughter Halloween costumes can often be charming, cute, or both. But they can also be considered downright offensive, especially if the matching costume is 'white trash,' and it's worn to an elementary school Halloween event.

A mother-daughter duo in metro Detroit did exactly that - and the reaction from parents and students were probably not what they had in mind.

The pair wore their costumes to Huron Park Elementary School's 'Trunk or Treat' Halloween celebration in Roseville on Thursday evening.

http://i.imgur.com/h80hRAb.jpg

To become 'white trash,' the pair simply donned plain white trash bags - over black sweatshirts - with the words 'white trash' scrawled on them. Additionally, they painted their faces white with a smeared coat of black paint near their eyes.

'I was a little appalled. To me, how can you dress yourself and your child in a white trash outfit?' parent Nicole Ekmeian said to MyFoxDetroit.com.

The area where the school is located is a suffering economically like much of the rest of the city of Detroit, which recently declared bankruptcy. This has added even more fuel to the outrage of parents at the school, as the offensive slur 'white trash' has often crept its way into the area.

http://i.imgur.com/BuuIITm.jpg

'Roseville is known for "white trash" and you just don't do that at a kids function,' says mom Megan Manchenko. 'You can't have weapons; you can't have blood; you can't have gory stuff, but racial slurs? Go right ahead!'

One person, however, didn't understand what all the fuss is about.

'I don't get offended easily,' Eric Frasier told the station. 'There's more important things in this world right now - people are out of jobs, people are homeless and not eating. Lighten up.'

The school's principal said he confronted the mother about the costume, but noted that it's hard to make parents abide by the same rules as the students.

Last week, the University of Colorado at Boulder told students to not wear Halloween costumes that it deemed offensive, or to be a 'crude stereotype.' On the list are cowboys, Indians, anything with a sombrero, anything 'ghetto' and anything 'white trash.'

'Making the choice to dress up as someone from another culture, either with the intention of being humorous or without the intention of being disrespectful, can lead to inaccurate and hurtful portrayals of other people's cultures,' Dean of Students Christina Gonzeles wrote in a letter to students.

Goofy
10-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Last week, the University of Colorado at Boulder told students to not wear Halloween costumes that it deemed offensive, or to be a 'crude stereotype.' On the list are cowboys, Indians, anything with a sombrero, anything 'ghetto' and anything 'white trash.'

Cowboys and Indians are banned? Bunch of muppets

Teh One Who Knocks
10-28-2013, 12:44 PM
No muppets either, that's disrespectful to Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, and the rest of them :nono:

deebakes
10-28-2013, 12:45 PM
morons :facepalm:

perrhaps
10-28-2013, 01:01 PM
morons :facepalm:

Nope, can't dress like them either. You also can't dress like a "short bus".

deebakes
10-28-2013, 01:04 PM
what about a long bus? :-k

perrhaps
10-28-2013, 02:03 PM
what about a long bus? :-k

Permissible only if there is no hint of it carrying migrant farm workers.

Acid Trip
10-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Permissible only if there is no hint of it carrying migrant farm workers.

You mean "homeless agriculture employees"?

perrhaps
10-28-2013, 03:26 PM
You mean "homeless agriculture employees"?

That's a nice term for "fucking beaners".

Hal-9000
10-28-2013, 03:54 PM
I think the white trash costumes are inventive, funny and a sign of the times :thumbsup:

PorkChopSandwiches
10-28-2013, 04:45 PM
:racist:

Yt Trash
10-28-2013, 11:43 PM
Somebody call me????