PDA

View Full Version : High school beer brewing class draws concern

Teh One Who Knocks
10-29-2013, 10:49 AM
written by Dave Delozier - 9 News Colorado

ARVADA - They are too young to possess it, but they are learning the process required to make it.

A biology class at Ralston Valley High School is working on a project entitled "Alcoholic Fermentation," which details the steps required to brew beer.

It has gotten the attention of some parents.

"When I was cooking dinner the other night, my daughter brought me a paper saying look at my next project. It's on alcohol fermentation, and I think I stopped dead in my tracks and said 'it's on what?" Ralston Valley High School parent Adrienne Maerz said.

The project synopsis instructs students to become familiar with the ingredients and equipment needed to brew beer as well as the steps required in brewing. It also asks students to explain the variables that are changed in making other forms of alcohol, such as wine, champagne and hard alcohols like whiskey and vodka.

The project also affords students the opportunity to earn 10 extra credit points by going on a tour of the brewing process at the Coors Brewery. It asks students to include a photo that verifies their presence on the tour to get their extra credit.

The synopsis does include a note in bold letters that reads, "In no way does this assignment promote the use of alcohol, but rather a deeper understanding of anaerobic respiration."

Given the problem of underage drinking Maerz believes the class sends a mixed message.

"It just doesn't make sense for you to say to a student, 'these are the effects. This is what it can do to your body, your mind, to your life.' And then say, 'and in case you decide to not listen to our warning, let's teach you how to brew it,'" Maerz said.

According to the school, the alcoholic fermentation class has been taught at Ralston Valley High School for the last eight years without any previous complaints.

A statement released by the Jefferson County School District to 9News reads, "The teaching of fermentation or anaerobic respiration is a Colorado standard taught in biology classes. Teachers make choices in designing the lesson plans which help students meet those standards. While we value the efforts our teachers make to inspire learning in our students, we will be reviewing the assignment in question. Meanwhile, any parent who feels this is not an appropriate activity can request an alternative assignment covering the same content. We take seriously our partnership with parents in educating their children and appreciate their involvement in helping the district evaluate teach strategies."

Maerz says they have informed the school their daughter will not be participating in the project as it relates to the brewing of beer. Late Monday afternoon, they were informed their daughter's project would focus on the process necessary to make diesel ethanol.

FBD
10-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Given the problem of underage drinking Maerz believes the class sends a mixed message.

"It just doesn't make sense for you to say to a student, 'these are the effects. This is what it can do to your body, your mind, to your life.' And then say, 'and in case you decide to not listen to our warning, let's teach you how to brew it,'" Maerz said.
chrissakes, the stuff's not drain-o

Goofy
10-29-2013, 11:47 AM
I read that as "bear brewing" to begin with........ you'd need a pretty big pot to brew a bear :-k

Acid Trip
10-29-2013, 03:19 PM
A great way to get kids interested in Science if you ask me. I almost went into chemistry after making aspirin in class.

deebakes
10-29-2013, 05:23 PM
:+1:

Hal-9000
10-29-2013, 06:50 PM
I think it's a bad idea....while the science is interesting you don't need to reveal a booze making process to kids that can't buy it :lol:

why? because now they have a way to make it and don't have to get any bootlegged

deebakes
10-29-2013, 07:15 PM
fuckin' square :hand:

:mrgreen:

deebakes
10-29-2013, 07:16 PM
i often use the analogy that the experiments i do in the lab is a lot like cooking except we don't eat the results :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-29-2013, 07:16 PM
i often use the analogy that the experiments i do in the lab is a lot like cooking except we don't eat the results :lol:

:zombie:

deebakes
10-29-2013, 07:18 PM
:tup: :lol:

Jezter
10-30-2013, 06:34 PM
I think it's a bad idea....while the science is interesting you don't need to reveal a booze making process to kids that can't buy it :lol:

why? because now they have a way to make it and don't have to get any bootlegged

Yeah, cuz beer brewing is so difficult and one can't find a million recipes for beer/wine/rum online in matter of seconds... better teach the art of beer brewing to make it properly and not have them try it out with online recipes and shit equipment.

Hal-9000
10-30-2013, 06:40 PM
Yeah, cuz beer brewing is so difficult and one can't find a million recipes for beer/wine/rum online in matter of seconds... better teach the art of beer brewing to make it properly and not have them try it out with online recipes and shit equipment.

hey...lose the sarcasm pal :x

Never said that....I think that if you encourage kids in a school setting to do things like this, they think it's ok, that's all..

getting taught how to something in school start to finish is different than trying to figure it out online without all the equipment and ingredients on hand

Jezter
10-30-2013, 06:58 PM
I don't know how your laws are, but over here wine making and beer making is legal at home. And 18 is the age limit..so I don't know how well one can compare. Either way, I don't see a problem with this class.

Hal-9000
10-30-2013, 07:03 PM
for us the legal age is 18 to drink....and no minors are allowed to create beer or wine at home. In fact it's kind of a snobbish thing that typically well to do adults make as a hobby..

Canadians have a reputation as beer drinkers but you'd be surprised how strict our laws are preventing kids from buying it and of course, drinking and driving.

We don't let kids have wine or beer with dinner until they are of an appropriate age.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-30-2013, 07:07 PM
for us the legal age is 18 to drink....and no minors are allowed to create beer or wine at home. In fact it's kind of a snobbish thing that typically well to do adults make as a hobby..

Canadians have a reputation as beer drinkers but you'd be surprised how strict our laws are preventing kids from buying it and of course, drinking and driving.

We don't let kids have wine or beer with dinner until they are of an appropriate age.

:hand:

We used to sneak across the border into Quebec and buy beer underage and there were even bars/clubs not far across the border that would serve us when we were in high school still :nana:

PorkChopSandwiches
10-30-2013, 07:42 PM
We have Mexico for that ;)

Hal-9000
10-30-2013, 08:52 PM

We used to sneak across the border into Quebec and buy beer underage and there were even bars/clubs not far across the border that would serve us when we were in high school still :nana:

Got to have picture ID from day one, no exceptions

that's not to exclude kids from buying it underage without ID like I did for two years...it's a lot harder now to get passed the age law than it was 25 years ago