PDA

View Full Version : Philly Restaurant Unveils Deep-Fried Twinkie Burger

Teh One Who Knocks
10-30-2013, 10:50 AM
By JOANNA PRISCO - ABC News

http://i.imgur.com/AaUdMK1.jpg

Just when America had almost recovered from the Ramen Burger trend, another wild culinary creation is causing a stir. Meet The Deep-Fried Twinkie Burger.

Featuring a custom-blended pork belly patty layered with melted American cheese, topped with extra bacon and bookended by two crispy yet creme-filled, deep-fried Twinkie buns, the gut-busting burger was unleashed a PYT restaurant in Philadelphia on Tuesday.

"We are really sorry about this, but someone had to do it," wrote the owners on the PYT Facebook post announcing the new menu item. The first 15 ordered were free to lucky patrons on Tuesday morning. Lines were already forming upon opening of the restaurant, as the burgers will only be available for one week.

PYT is well-versed in the belligerent burger category, having previously created a Korean Short Rib Burger, Mini Krispy Kreme Burgers with Chocolate Covered Bacon and Cheesesteak Pretzel Roll Burger. Its newest creation was inspired by similar foods found at state fairs, where deep fryers reign.

"Flavor appeal comes from the combination of savory and sweet in the same bite," said PYT bar manager Kevin McGehrin. "Sweetness comes from the Twinkie, of course. And by using the pork belly in the blend it really amps up the savory aspect of the patty. The applewood bacon gives it a bit of a smoky component. The bun texture is a crunchy exterior with a soft warm fluffy cake-like center."

Early reactions to the sweet and salty Frankenfood were mixed.

"I need that fried Twinkie burger asap from @pytphilly" tweeted someone who goes by the handle Vivrant Thing.

Lifestyle expert Kris Schoels was less impressed: "A deep fried Twinkie burger? I can't.... can we just stop with this please?" she tweeted.

But the burger's creators are unfazed by such criticism.

"Obviously eating a burger like the Twinkie burger is not going to be recommended by your doctor," said McGehrin. "We just try to come up with fun ideas that give people something to reward themselves with."