PDA

View Full Version : Any craftbrewers here?

Spyker
10-31-2013, 06:13 PM
Was hoping to converse with like minded individuals instead of those forums where no one has seen my nutsak

Noilly Pratt
10-31-2013, 06:33 PM
Did it 20 years ago...made a brew of a copy of Corona beer for a stag. Much better than the original.

Spyker
10-31-2013, 06:37 PM
I've been brewing since the beginning of the year.

Made some lager that we fucked up, some all grain ales in the APA style, a small batch of stout that i havent tasted yet(due to moving -i'll say not where) and i'm not sure what I made here using budweiser NA as a base.

Corona tastes like piss btw, i hope your tasted better

FBD
10-31-2013, 08:21 PM
:lol: I've casually helped my younger brother make beer for a while, but I dont really know a hell of a lot. He made a caramel amber ale that was so good it disappeared way too quickly. but most of the time it seems to take 3 months after bottling for me to think the taste has finally matured on his brews. I just tried another peach ale he made, pretty good, but damn...pectin or something, something clouded the fug out of it again.

Griffin
11-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Cloudy is actually a natural part of the process, the only way to completely avoid it is to pasteurize and cold filter your brew. You can minimize it by using another carboy for a secondary fermentation which might also boost your ABV.
After bottling just turn them a few times to ensure the priming sugars haven't settled to the bottom then leave the bottles upright in a dark area. It's best not to brew around season changes as your beer likes to keep a consistent temp and humidity.
A slow pour into your slightly tilted glass leaving the last half inch of liquid with the sediments in the bottom of the bottle.
Even if some of the sediment winds up in your glass you probably won't taste a difference, just clouds it.

Spyker
11-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Yip, like griffin said. I also use irish moss to settle out some of the cloudyness. a couple of things are important to get as much of the much out as possible
> a rapid cooldown after the boil. a cooling coil works best for this. for added cooling we place our pot in a tub of near freezing water
> primary and secondary fermention. decanting should be controlled as to not disturb the sludge(the yeast at the bottom can be frozen and reused)
> 24 hours before bottling place fermenter into fridge and bring temp down to 5deg cel. this settles out lots of debris

our first two kit lagers were cock ups coz we had no idea what we were actually doing. fermented at whatever temp so tasted like shit
our first all grain we used plain, vienna and caramel malt and south african barley. because we made it on a rainy day we called it rainy day ale. we aimed for an easy drinking beer. the local home brewing club liked it but said it wasnt special. the chair or the club said ours was the only beer at the tasting day that he could drink 6 of and not feel sick.
i wasnt too involved with the stout except for helping on the boil day. I have a mate i brew with so i cant tell you whats in it

right now i'm in a country that does not allow you to consume booze. so i'm brewing my own using budweiserNA, some hops of unknown origin and sugar for added booze(the sg of the bud was 1015)

PorkChopSandwiches
11-01-2013, 02:55 PM
:terrorist:

Spyker
11-01-2013, 03:43 PM
:pig: