PDA

View Full Version : Serious question here.

KevinD
02-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Okay, in the overall scheme of the game, this play didn't make any difference. Green Bay still won.:tapfoot::cheerlead: I'm not a huge GB fan, but having grown up in Houston, I am predisposed to hate the Steelers!:yup:

With 37 seconds left in the Third, Rodgers throws to Swain, who (to me) catches the ball, starts to turn up-field, and has the ball stripped and fumbles. The play is ruled an incomplete pass, Challenged, and the call stands.
My question is, how was this NOT a completed pass resulting in a fumble? What then constitutes a complete pass?

Yt Trash
02-07-2011, 09:42 PM
He never had total control of the ball. Bobbled it and in the resulting tackle was dropped/fumbled.

Hal-9000
02-07-2011, 10:22 PM
They mentioned that in slow-mo, any instance can look complete.

There's a number of rules (which you probably already know) pertaining to control of the ball,
where his knee is and if the ground causes a fumble.

They determined he never did have complete control regardless, so everything that happens after that is moot.

For the record...he caught that ball in my eyes :lol:

Hal-9000
02-07-2011, 10:25 PM
A better question may be - why the fook in the Superbowl, do players take retaliatory shots at others?

I saw 2 where it was after the play and each guy smacked the opposing player :lol:

These guys are pros and have to realize that more eyes are on them, than during any other game of the year.Very dumb and costly moves no matter how pissed you are at the other guy.

Yt Trash
02-07-2011, 10:45 PM
I was also surprised that they used less known refs. I'm sure it was a rotation thing, but I like Ed Hochuli or Mike Carey. Both men are good at their job, and Hochili has some guns on him.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0708/nfl_careyhochuli_580.jpg

KevinD
02-08-2011, 12:29 AM
My understanding on the rules are that he had control of the ball, made a competitive move (started turning up filed) THEN the ball was knocked out by a defender. I'm not saying it was a bad call, just don't understand the ruling here.

Hal-9000
02-08-2011, 12:34 AM
My understanding on the rules are that he had control of the ball, made a competitive move (started turning up filed) THEN the ball was knocked out by a defender. I'm not saying it was a bad call, just don't understand the ruling here.

Agreed.From my understanding of the rule he had possession, control and had time to move...

Hal-9000
02-08-2011, 12:38 AM
Another bad call (IMO) was late in the game for pass interference.One announcer thought should have been flagged, then said afterward it was a good non-call.

I played middle linebacker and used to get behind the guy, make like I was going for the ball and use my legs to 'move' him off the ball :lol:
It's pass interference any way you slice it, I know because I was good at it...

KevinD
02-08-2011, 12:40 AM
I saw them talking about that call Hal, but didn't see any of the replays, so not sure. Another BAD call was the facemask on the punt return (iirc) He had him around the collar, never touched the facemask. I'd have thrown a challenge on that, but don't think it was challengable.

Hal-9000
02-08-2011, 12:47 AM
I saw them talking about that call Hal, but didn't see any of the replays, so not sure. Another BAD call was the facemask on the punt return (iirc) He had him around the collar, never touched the facemask. I'd have thrown a challenge on that, but don't think it was challengable.

Another good point....his hand was up near his collar, a gray area in terms of head infractions.He certainly did not commit a face mask foul tho.
I think their reasoning was what I mentioned above, he should not have his hand under the helmet in any way.

Godfather
02-08-2011, 01:52 AM
Man they showed the play so many times it was ridiculous... when he grabs at his face a second after the ball has flown by?!? Too funny in super-slow-mo :lol:

I was watching the game with a couple football lovers/former players who agreed it wasn't complete... I don't know the rules well enough to really have an opinion.

KevinD
02-08-2011, 01:54 AM
I tried for a few hours to find the clip of the "incomplete pass" today..no luck.

Hal-9000
02-08-2011, 02:41 AM
In that league..if you corral the ball for a millisecond and make it look motionless for that one split second in time...and also not lose your lunch/pee your pants when the two 260 pounders come in and cream you...

it's complete :cheers: