PDA

View Full Version : Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2013, 10:38 PM
By Perry Chiaramonte - FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/t8mDmrC.jpg

It's exactly what critics of the Common Core school curriculum warned about: Partisan political statements masquerading as English lessons finding their way into elementary school classrooms.

Teaching materials aligned with the controversial national educational standards ask fifth-graders to edit such sentences as “(The president) makes sure the laws of the country are fair,” “The wants of an individual are less important than the well-being of the nation” and “the commands of government officials must be obeyed by all.” The sentences, which appear in worksheets published by New Jersey-based Pearson Education, are presented not only for their substance, but also to teach children how to streamline bulky writing.

“Parents should insist on reviewing their children’s school assignments,” said Glyn Wright, executive director of the Eagle Forum, a think tank that opposes implementation of Common Core. “Many parents will be shocked to find that some ‘Common Core-approved’ curriculum is full of inappropriate left-wing notions, disinformation, and fails to teach the truth of American exceptionalism and opportunity.”

The politically charged lesson appears in a worksheet titled “Hold the Flag High,” in which students are taught about Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War. The assignment asks students to make examples of sentences; “less wordy by replacing the underlined words with a possessive noun phrase.” They are then presented with a half-dozen sentences describing the job duties of a U.S. president.

But if the lessons are meant as a primer on the Constitution, there's another problem, note critics. The job of making sure laws are fair is not the president's, but the judicial branch's. The executive branch's duty is to administer laws. And the example that places the well-being of the nation above the "wants of an individual" appears to run counter to the basic principles of the Bill of Rights.

“We are doing a terrible disservice to this generation and the next if we only present them with one side of the argument and bombard them with ideas contrary to the American ideal," Wright said. "In doing so, we allow our children to be indoctrinated instead of educated.”

A Pearson spokesperson told FoxNews.com the “Hold the Flag High” worksheet will undergo some editing of its own, based on issues raised by critics, including Education Action Group Foundation.

“These particular questions appear in a fifth-grade unit of Pearson’s Reading Street, an English Language Arts program,” the Pearson official said. “They accompany a selection about soldiers during the Civil War, and they attempt to make a connection between that passage and language skills. As with all our curricular materials, they underwent a thorough development and review process. Still, we are always open to improving our work … Based on this feedback, we will be modifying the worksheet to clarify these questions.”

The Common Core State Standards Initiative was devised by an association of the nation's governors and backed by the Obama administration in 2009 with the goal of setting a uniform standard for grades K-12 nationwide. Some 45 states, in many cases enticed by federal grants, have signed on and testing of students in grades 3-8 and once in high school is scheduled to begin next year.

Critics of the initiative say that school districts will devise curriculums to maximize their students' performance on the national exams; some in fact, have already done so. The same critics also claim that Common Core math standards barely cover basic geometry or second-year algebra and that the classics are all but ignored in English classes.

While Common Core has plenty of defenders -- and may prove beneficial -- critics maintain that it is not the federal government's job to impose educational standards.

Muddy
11-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Dude, we saw one where they were teaching my kid the job of the government is to protect the people. But it was phrased as a true false question. There is a definite agenda they are filling kids with.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2013, 10:45 PM
It's absolutely disgusting....might as well just ship everyone off to re-education camps.

Muddy
11-06-2013, 10:48 PM
My neighbor gos up to the school and raises hell with them... There's nothing they can do though.. It comes from higher up..

Hal-9000
11-07-2013, 01:47 AM
possessive noun exercises in elementary school? Pretty advanced as elementary is grades 1-6 for us..

and yes, the political agenda is so blatant in the lesson, it's really a lesson about how government works, not how grammar works

FBD
11-07-2013, 01:28 PM
this is why I say if I ever had kids again, no fuggin way in hell would I ever send them to a propaganda camp I mean public school.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-07-2013, 01:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/vVQvqRS.jpg

Acid Trip
11-07-2013, 03:06 PM
That decides that. My daughter will go to private school.

Muddy
11-07-2013, 03:08 PM
this is why I say if I ever had kids again, no fuggin way in hell would I ever send them to a propaganda camp I mean public school.

You would if you couldn't afford private school for 3.

FBD
11-07-2013, 03:13 PM
homeschool ftw :dance: fuck that shit, home is actually "free"...though I'd still be paying taxes for the other little fuggers to be indoctrinated

Muddy
11-07-2013, 03:19 PM
homeschool ftw :dance: fuck that shit, home is actually "free"...though I'd still be paying taxes for the other little fuggers to be indoctrinated

How are you going to earn money and run a home school? :lol:

FBD
11-07-2013, 03:27 PM
:lol: why, go back to an old tradition of having the wife raise fuggin kids instead of the two income paying half of it to daycare BS

Muddy
11-07-2013, 04:24 PM
:lol: why, go back to an old tradition of having the wife raise fuggin kids instead of the two income paying half of it to daycare BS

People have gone to the two income household for one reason... Income! :lol:

Hal-9000
11-07-2013, 05:01 PM
FBD's homeschooled childrenz...

Sundays on FOX :lol:

Noilly Pratt
11-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Not happening here AFAIK. My daughter had something similar and it was purely fact based..the house of parliament does this, does that etc. All very neutral.

I see all the lessons and my daughter's teacher is very aware that this won't fly with most of the parents.

I will remain vigilant.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Goverment officials' commands must be obeyed by all

:hitler:

Hal-9000
11-07-2013, 05:13 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/i39cmf.gif

Muddy
11-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Nine!!!!!

Hal-9000
11-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Ve vill grind zere littal heads under mein BOOT!

Learn, submit, obey and love ze Fatherland you dummkopfs!!! :x

FBD
11-07-2013, 05:59 PM
FBD's homeschooled childrenz...

Sundays on FOX :lol:
:lol: you know if I were actually that crazy to have more kids I'd have to make them do something productive

http://www.spiritvoyage.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/surya.jpg

http://dragonriderone.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/junior_black_belt_candidate_keen_wong_tests_his_ho rse_stance_skill_and_strength_on_the_shaolin_poles 1.jpg

Hal-9000
11-07-2013, 07:24 PM
FBD's child first words - Oh-bam-ah...dish-bag :)

:lol:

FBD
11-07-2013, 07:57 PM
:lol: my boy's first word was Dad :dance: