PDA

View Full Version : Eric Holder: Justice Department May Still Pursue Civil Rights Charges Against George Zimmerman

Teh One Who Knocks
11-07-2013, 12:46 PM
By Jonathan Wolfe - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/rfkhWtI.jpg

Attorney General Eric Holder reiterated on Monday that the Justice Department has still not ruled out the possibility of filing federal civil rights charges against George Zimmerman.

Zimmerman, of course, famously shot and killed Trayvon Martin in February of 2012. Zimmerman was acquitted of all charges related to the incident on July 13, 2013.

Holder told reporters that the Justice Department’s investigation of the event is on-going.

“I’m not sure exactly how much longer that will take, but we will get to a point where we are able to make a determination,” Holder said.

His comments are consistent with a message delivered to the National Action Network in April in which he said his department would “take appropriate action” if sufficient evidence of a civil rights violation was found in the case. He reminded members of the network that the Justice Department maintains a “very high barrier” for pursuing federal criminal charges.

Holder also said on Monday that the court’s ruling in Zimmerman’s trial would carry significant weight in the Justice Department’s decision.

“The case of George Zimmerman — and what happens there — I think a substantial part was resolved in the case that was tried,” he said.

FBD
11-07-2013, 01:33 PM
“I’m not sure exactly how much longer that will take, but since there's absolutely nothing we can legitimately charge him on, we will get to a point where we are able to make a determination on whether or not we'll simply make something up and call it law,” Holder said.

fixed

perrhaps
11-07-2013, 01:46 PM
So, when Black gangbangers kill either White or Black folks in Chicago, that isn't a violation of the victims' Civil Rights? Seems to me that people who get murdered lose all of their Civil Rights.