PDA

View Full Version : I've Got Whooping Cough, thanks a Lot, Jenny McCarthy.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2013, 12:14 PM
BY JULIA IOFFE - New Republic

http://i.imgur.com/6L0Z5bKl.jpg

At this writing, I have been coughing for 72 days. Not on and off coughing, but continuously, every day and every night, for two and a half months. And not just coughing, but whooping: doubled over, body clenched, sucking violently for air, my face reddening and my eyes watering. Sometimes, I cough so hard, I vomit. Other times, I pee myself. Both of these symptoms have become blessedly less frequent, and I have yet to break a rib coughing—also a common side effect. Nor do I still have the fatigue that felled me, often, at my desk and made me sleep for 16 hours a night on the weekends. Now I rarely choke on things like water, though it turns out laughing, which I do a lot of, is an easy trigger for a violent, paralyzing cough that doctors refer to not as a cough, but a paroxysm.

Since I came down with pertussis, more commonly known as whooping cough, waking up on Saturday, August 31, with what felt like a light fever and a tightness in my chest, I’ve celebrated the Jewish high holidays, covered Washington's response to the crisis in Syria, hosted several out of town friends and a dinner party or two, attended the funeral of a close relative and the wedding celebration of a close friend, given a lighter strain of the whoop to my mother, and, somewhere in there, managed to turn 31, whooping all the while. I even spent a long weekend on a beach in north Florida, where a friend commented on my now killer abs—odd since, because of my illness, I had not been to the gym at that point for 35 days. “The coughing,” she said cheerfully, “must’ve helped!”

My friends have gotten used to the whoop, and so, it seems, have my colleagues. When they hear it waft across the cubicle walls, that hacking cough melting into a high-pitched, desperate gasping, they now just say, “There’s the whoop!” Which is good because, given that pertussis’s other name is the “100 day cough,” they have a good month of my hackery left to joke about.

It’s funny having the whooping cough at 31 in 2013. Sometimes, you’re at the kind of nice restaurant you can now afford at 31, when the audacity of saying “Mm-hmm” as you chew ends with your choking—actually choking—on a shred of grilled scallion. Sometimes, you’re waiting to go on television to comment on world events, and the producers, having seen how hard make-up was because of your constant, violent coughing, keep you in the hallway until the very last minute so that you don’t interrupt the show with your paroxysms. And sometimes, you’ll start coughing so hard in that hallway that sound engineers peek out and flaccidly offer you some useless cough drops.

Sometimes, you’re interviewing a source and the whoop gets you. When it lets go, you look up and see your source staring at you with eyes squared by horror, and you, still catching your breath, have to soothe and reassure them that you are, after two Z-packs, no longer contagious. Sometimes, you find yourself explaining a sudden paroxysm on a date, and, at first, the guy might think your sense of humor is particularly edgy, with the occasional Victorian flourish. When you explain that, no, I am actually recovering from whooping cough, it can make, after that first stunned and quiet “Oh,” for a nice discussion of public health that ends, inevitably, with a profanity-laced rant about “Park Slope parents” not vaccinating their goddamn kids.

And sometimes you find yourself, after years of imagining yourself a serious reporter, writing for the public about what it’s like to cough so hard that you pee yourself. At 31.

Pertussis, named after the elegantly latinate bacterium Bordetella pertussis, starts the way of any cold or mild flu. Then, a week or two later, the coughing starts. That’s because B. pertussis glom onto and paralyze the cilia, the lash-like filaments in your airways that clear it out of mucus, the stuff your body uses to trap and get rid of the infection. The bacterium also emits various toxins, some of which mask the infection and don’t allow your immune system to recognize and attack it. It therefore takes longer for your body to clear it and leaves your trachea so inflamed that it is sensitive even to things like water and air, leading to those wild coughing fits that sound like this in kids and this in adults. And while my having pertussis at my age seems absurd, it can also be tragic: In babies, the infection can easily be fatal.

There’s a reason that we associate the whooping cough with the Dickensian: It is. The illness has, since the introduction of a pertussis vaccine in 1940, has been conquered in the developed world. For two or three generations, we’ve come to think of it as an ailment suffered in sub-Saharan Africa or in Brontë novels. And for two or three generations, it was.

Until, that is, the anti-vaccination movement really got going in the last few years. Led by discredited doctors and, incredibly, a former Playmate, the movement has frightened new parents with claptrap about autism, Alzheimer’s, aluminum, and formaldehyde. The movement that was once a fringe freak show has become a menace, with foot soldiers whose main weapon is their self-righteousness. For them, vaccinating their children is merely a consumer choice, like joining an organic food co-op or sending their kids to a Montessori school or drinking coconut water.

The problem is that it is not an individual choice; it is a choice that acutely affects the rest of us. Vaccinations work by creating something called herd immunity: When most of a population is immunized against a disease, it protects even those in it who are not vaccinated, either because they are pregnant or babies or old or sick. For herd immunity to work, 95 percent of the population needs to be immunized. But the anti-vaccinators have done a good job undermining it. In 2010, for example, only 91 percent of California kindergarteners were up to date on their shots. Unsurprisingly, California had a massive pertussis outbreak.

It would be an understatement to say that pertussis and other formerly conquered childhood diseases like measles and mumps are making a resurgence. Pertussis, specifically, has come roaring back. From 2011 to 2012, reported pertussis incidences rose more than threefold in 21 states. (And that’s just reported cases. Since we’re not primed to be on the look-out for it, many people may simply not realize they have it.) In 2012, the CDC said that the number of pertussis cases was higher than at any point in 50 years. That year, Washington state declared an epidemic; this year, Texas did, too. Washington, D.C. has also seen a dramatic increase. This fall, Cincinnati reported a 283 percent increase in pertussis. It’s even gotten to the point that pertussis has become a minor celebrity cause: NASCAR hero Jeff Gordon and Sarah Michelle Gellar are now encouraging people to get vaccinated.

How responsible are these non-vaccinating parents for my pertussis? Very. A study recently published in the journal Pediatrics indicated that outbreaks of these antediluvian diseases clustered where parents filed non-medical exemptions—that is, where parents decided not to vaccinate their kids because of their personal beliefs. The study found that areas with high concentrations of conscientious objectors were 2.5 times more likely to have an outbreak of pertussis. (To clarify: I was vaccinated against pertussis as a child, but the vaccine wears off by adulthood, which, until recently, was rarely a problem because the disease wasn't running rampant because of people not vaccinating their kids.)

So thanks a lot, anti-vaccine parents. You took an ethical stand against big pharma and the autism your baby was not going to get anyway, and, by doing so, killed some babies and gave me, an otherwise healthy 31-year-old woman, the whooping cough in the year 2013. I understand your wanting to raise your own children as you see fit, science be damned, but you're selfishly jeopardizing more than your own children. Carry your baby around in a sling, feed her organic banana mash while you drink your ethical coffee, fine, but what gives you denialists the right to put my health at risk—to cause me to catch a debilitating, humiliating, and frightening cough that, two months after I finished my last course of antibiotics (how’s that for supporting big pharma?), still makes me convulse several times a day like some kind of tragic nineteenth-century heroine?

If you have an answer, I’ll be here, whooping, while I wait.

FBD
11-12-2013, 12:55 PM
aw quit yer whining and be glad you dont have super avian whooping cough

PorkChopSandwiches
11-12-2013, 05:18 PM
:facepalm:

Goofy
11-12-2013, 05:26 PM
I actually read all that........ where does Jenny McCarthy come into it? :-s

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2013, 05:31 PM
I actually read all that........ where does Jenny McCarthy come into it? :-s

She's a tinfoil hat wearing anti-vaxxer who claims that immunizing her kid gave it autism and that the government is doing it to poison people.

Hal-9000
11-12-2013, 05:32 PM
kinda glad I didn't get polio, rubella and the plague as a child....can't fault the immunization process :-k

Goofy
11-12-2013, 05:34 PM
She's a tinfoil hat wearing anti-vaxxer who claims that immunizing her kid gave it autism and that the government is doing it to poison people.

Ah, ok, didn't know that :) I'd still bang the shit out of her though :)

Goofy
11-12-2013, 05:34 PM
kinda glad I didn't get polio, rubella and the plague as a child....can't fault the immunization process :-k

You don't know what you're missing :zombie:

Hal-9000
11-12-2013, 05:38 PM
what was your vaccine Goof.....plate of bangers and mash?

go to bed now sonny, you'll be fine :lol:

Goofy
11-12-2013, 05:54 PM
what was your vaccine Goof.....plate of bangers and mash?

go to bed now sonny, you'll be fine :lol:

God knows, i remember getting the BCG injection when i was a kid but that's about it. I was always out and about getting dirty and hurting myself doing stupid things, probably built up an immunity to most bugs* :lol:

*except man-flu :hills:

Hal-9000
11-12-2013, 05:56 PM
I got a needle and the round staple gun thingy that left a mark for life...

my first tattoo experience was with the school nurse in grade 1 :lol:

Noilly Pratt
11-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Just got a tetanus shot...forgot when I last got one. All from my nearly lopping off my finger carving pumpkins.

A pretty nurse told me the secret is...tense up your arm muscle, loosen, then get the shot. When the doc gave me the freezing shot for the stitches, it hurt more than the knife!

I grew up in a really rural Ontario town, but they were very strict about vaccinations...and I lucked out because whatever shot that everyone got that left you with a big crater in your arm...mine was like a regular shot.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2013, 06:49 PM
...and I lucked out because whatever shot that everyone got that left you with a big crater in your arm...mine was like a regular shot.

I believe that was a smallpox vaccination...I was born right at the time they were phasing that vaccination out here in the States, so I didn't get one of those, but I have friends that are just slightly older and they all have that scar from the smallpox vaccination. If you don't have the scar, then it's more than likely you didn't receive a vaccination for smallpox.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-12-2013, 06:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/yPIuFf1.jpg

This is the problem, there are way to many given multiple at a time. Your body cant always fight that many things at one time.

I was in the 80's era of shots based on this chart, I have no problem giving my kids those shots, fuck all these others. Especially the flu shot

Muddy
11-12-2013, 06:58 PM

This is the problem, there are way to many given multiple at a time. Your body cant always fight that many things at one time.

I was in the 80's era of shots based on this chart, I have no problem giving my kids those shots, fuck all these others. Especially the flu shot

If your kids arent vaccinated on schedule they cant attend school in my county.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2013, 06:59 PM

Oooooooo....it has a skull and crossbones on it, that means it must be evil :nervous:

:rolleyes:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2013, 07:01 PM
http://i.imgur.com/MNbl4rd.jpg

But who would believe the CDC and doctors everywhere :dunno:

In Jenny McCarthy We Trust! :cheers:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-12-2013, 07:02 PM
None of the flu shots are required for school. (Unless you live in CT or NJ)

PorkChopSandwiches
11-12-2013, 07:07 PM
But who would believe the CDC:dunno:

Yes, because we all know there couldn't be any outside influence or lobbying for the pushing of shots by the companies that make them

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Yes, because we all know there couldn't be any outside influence or lobbying for the pushing of shots by the companies that make them

Yes, those damned pediatricians are a shifty lot, getting billions in kick-backs from the drug companies no doubt. Little known fact: people become pediatricians just for that fact, to force unneeded immunizations on kids and living off the kick-back from big pharma.

FBD
11-12-2013, 07:24 PM
None of the flu shots are required for school. (Unless you live in CT or NJ)

:-k :hand: [-(

wtf's up with all the hepatitis? and the rainbow of flavors of influenza...shit like that, why other than to pad walletstats.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2013, 07:29 PM

wtf's up with all the hepatitis? and the rainbow of flavors of influenza...shit like that, why other than to pad walletstats.

That has to be it, because NOBODY ever dies from the flu :-k

Number of influenza-associated pediatric deaths

As of July 2013, 35 pediatric deaths occurring during the 2011-2012 season had been reported to CDC. Since 2004 the number of pediatric deaths has ranged from a low of 35 deaths during the 2011-2012 season, to a high of 282 deaths reported during the 2009-2010 season, which included pediatric deaths occurring during the 2009 H1N1 pandemic.

:rolleyes:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-12-2013, 07:31 PM

Thats what Im saying, a whole lot of unnecessary IMO

Hal-9000
11-13-2013, 12:06 AM
It's funny how the mandatory types of vaccinations change....

for us it was disease A, B, C

for kids now it's disease G, H, I ..

:-k

not to pick a side in the argument, but what I just said in two lines above is important......the vaccines did their job, therefore worthwhile

how would today be any different?

Hal-9000
11-13-2013, 12:07 AM
ya they got a whole lotta hep going down :lol:

in that chart above

PorkChopSandwiches
11-13-2013, 02:28 AM
Everyone keep taking those free flu shots, they will keep you safe

FBD
11-13-2013, 12:40 PM
I will never get a flu shot.

And then when the apocalypse disease hits and yall are droppin like flies and ask why, I'll tell you how they delivered it to you.

"thhheeeee fluuuuuuu shooooooots" *points bony finger*

Goofy
11-13-2013, 01:14 PM
I'm detecting a massive amount of sarcasm coming from within this thread :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
11-13-2013, 01:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/dMv1Yok.jpg

Muddy
11-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Lance, can you call me and read all that to me?

FBD
11-13-2013, 02:23 PM
I dont think vaccines cause autism, imho its earlier development. like anyone I've seen who's autistic and I know who their parents are....their parents, pops especially, were doing mad drugs at the time the kid was conceived. high coke correlation.

I just think the flu shot is a bullshit delivery, I watch so many people get all sick from the injections and shit every year, and pretty much every year, oops, that's not the strain that's going around. Its just about the perfect delivery for infecting the population with something, and honestly, I wouldnt put it past TPTB, when it becomes convenient. Wait until the revolution starts, and Influenza will be making a big popularity fb post on the world's wall again.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-13-2013, 04:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/dMv1Yok.jpg

What an idiotic rant

Teh One Who Knocks
11-13-2013, 04:54 PM
What an idiotic rant

Why, because it's based on scientific fact and didn't come from some tinfoil hat wearer running a blog?

Noilly Pratt
11-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Not taking a side here...just telling you what I know. I know first-hand some of the doctors and technicians that have made significant contributions to the world's greater understanding of epidemeology.

I was a computer support technician for the Agriculture. Plant and Animal Health industries for many years, and saw what they did on a daily basis, been in their labs, and had complete access to all areas of their various buildings.

They do it for the hope of making the world a better place, not for the kickbacks. And, really not for the money. They get a good wage, but they work long hours for that wage.

And, if they received any gratuities from anyone, or operated with anything that resembled an agenda, they were fired. Saw that happen, first-hand, as I was the one who had to ensure the people didn't get spiteful and delete critical data upon leaving.

Are there scientists out there that are working for the drug companies, and skewing the stats? Absolutely. They make it difficult for the unbiased ones, and they often they have to repeat experiments and waste time retracing steps because a source is suspect.