PDA

View Full Version : Mother leaves Colchester Zoo after bosses ban son's barefoot antics

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2013, 01:33 PM
By Braintree Chronicle

http://i.imgur.com/AFrgQKJ.jpg

A MOTHER says she stormed out of an indoor play area at Colchester Zoo after staff ordered her to put socks on her autistic son's feet.

Tamsin Moore, 30, of Marks Garden, Braintree, vows never to return to the attraction after she claims staff said four-year-old Archie Black could not play barefoot in Kalahari Capers for hygiene reasons.

"It's the worst treatment with a special needs child I've ever had, it's atrocious," said Miss Moore, a nurse.

"They have let him go barefoot before on numerous occasions. They say it's a hygiene matter but cafes and restaurants make exceptions for guide dogs. They should make an exception because his needs are just as important as a blind person.

"It needs to be circumstantial and I don't think any other parent in the play area would have questioned it. If it was me and it was my child playing with another child who didn't like things on his feet I wouldn't even bat an eyelid. I won't be going there again."

Miss Moore, who also regularly takes her two-year-old daughter to the zoo using their gold card annual membership, took the children to the play area at lunchtime last Thursday.

Archie immediately off-loaded his socks and shoes before jumping into Kalahari Capers, which boasts ball pools and slides.

Following a heated exchange in front of about 50 others, Miss Moore says supervisors and an on-site zoo manager said she had to follow her son around the play-area if he refused to put socks on.

Non-verbal Archie, who benefits from one-to-one care at Braintree's Alec Hunter Pre School, is currently undergoing speech therapy at NHS-run Moulsham Grange. While he wears socks and shoes outside, he sheds them indoors, says Miss Moore.

Zoo director Anthony Tropeano said all children have to wear shoes in the play area – as the zoo's website states.

"The staff were very patient and said they were sorry but that it was our policy that any child that goes in has to wear socks," said Mr Tropeano.

"The mother was obviously not very happy about that so she was offered free socks from the shop, but she was not happy about that."

Mr Tropeano, who said no action would be taken, added: "Unfortunately we can't change a policy for individuals. We do it for the same reason you try shoes in a shoe shop with socks."

Hal-9000
11-13-2013, 09:45 PM
they got me on the swimsuit policy at the public pool when I was a lad :(

ffs how's a guy supposed to play submarines??

PorkChopSandwiches
11-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Fuck this bitch, thats the rules, if YOUR "special needs" child can't handle the situation, then he shouldn't be there.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Fuck this bitch, thats the rules, if YOUR "special needs" child can't handle the situation, then he shouldn't be there.

:agreed:

It pisses me off how a minority of parents think that the rules shouldn't apply to their precious snowflake.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-14-2013, 12:04 AM
We have a friend who has an autistic son, my wife watched them (also his sister, not autistic) before and after school for the past 2 months. He's a great kid, obviously "quirky", but there is no way they would argue in this idiots favor.

Hal-9000
11-14-2013, 12:11 AM
I love places with those ball pool pits :face:

I like to pretend I'm a shark and then come up for air and bite some unsuspecting kid's leg...I usually only get 3 bites in before the Chuck E Cheese shore patrol harpoons my ass outta there :(

deebakes
11-14-2013, 01:50 AM
:facepalm:

Griffin
11-14-2013, 02:05 AM
my balls are too big for pants so I should be able to walk around with out pants on.

Muddy
11-14-2013, 02:32 AM
They arent that big Griff..