PDA

View Full Version : Mom Tells Parents Bullied Kids Should ‘Toughen Up’

Teh One Who Knocks
11-13-2013, 01:26 PM
By Danielle Genet - ABC News

http://i.imgur.com/1Ll0wR9.jpg

A South Dakota mom’s blog — written for her original eight followers — has gone stratospheric after she wrote that boys should be allowed to play with guns, trashed what she considers to be over-protective parents and said kids being bullied should “toughen up.”

Stephanie Metz’s maternal outburst has the provocative title, “Why My Kids Are NOT The Center Of My World.”

Since writing three weeks ago, her blog has amassed over 750,000 hits and Metz estimates it’s been shared through other media sites to surpass 2 million hits. Along with the compliments came criticism.

“I think a lot of people have kids and raising kids is never easy,” Metz, 29, of Rapid City, S.D., told ABC News. “There are many viewpoints, but I think a lot of people agreed with what I said and they just want to share my post.”

Metz was inspired to write her post on Oct. 25 after her son Hendrix, 4, (she has another son Jameson, 2) decided to bring a different object to show and tell, after he told his mother his initial choice may resemble a weapon. That original toy, which is pictured below, may get him in trouble, he told his mother.

http://i.imgur.com/yXSpKRt.jpg

This, she writes, is what infuriates her. “How long will it be before their typical boy-ish behavior gets them suspended from school?” she worries.

“The mentality of our society in 2013 is nauseating to me, friends,” Metz writes in her blog.

Metz warns parents that constantly sheltering their children and protecting them from all things “evil” sets a child up for failure.

“Kids are being raised to never have to deal with adversity,” Metz told ABC News. “I don’t think we are raising a generation that will be able to function in the real world.”

“Society is constantly coddling your kids,” Metz said. For example, she says, kids are awarded with trophies even if they didn’t win.

Some of her blog examines the topic of bullying, for which Metz said she has received the most backlash about.

“Understand I am not condoning kids to be cruel to each other, but I think kids need to toughen up when kids are not nice to them,” Metz said.

Goofy
11-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Agree with most of that tbh :)

FBD
11-13-2013, 02:15 PM
I learned all about bullying from my cousins growing up. The more it bothered you, the more you received of it. Bullies dont get off on not-bothering, they get off on being able to get the fug under your skin and watching you squirm in your own fears and expectations.

and if a bully wants to just fight...get your kids training to be able to defend themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQEiwQG7Wfc

Muddy
11-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Wing Chun is some cool stuff..

MrsM
11-13-2013, 02:38 PM
I can agree with most of this as well - kids are way too coddled

FBD
11-13-2013, 02:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLqkxxvswBg

Hal-9000
11-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Like everyone else..I agree with most of her points..

the bullying however, no....some kids can learn to defend themselves and others never will...not all kids are physically able to defend themselves

PorkChopSandwiches
11-13-2013, 09:52 PM
Shes right

Teh One Who Knocks
11-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Like everyone else..I agree with most of her points..

the bullying however, no....some kids can learn to defend themselves and others never will...not all kids are physically able to defend themselves

I don't think she's talking about physical bullying (at least not 100%), but she's talking about how kids shouldn't be so pampered that they cry and get all butthurt if someone says they're ugly or stupid and then become suicidal because they got their feelings hurt.

Hal-9000
11-14-2013, 12:00 AM
yeah bullying is tough, so many forms...

how does a kid stop the verbal or texting abuse if it's non-stop? I guess they have to bear down and try to ignore it..

PorkChopSandwiches
11-14-2013, 12:11 AM
Everyone gets that form of bullying, its what toughens you up for real life

Hal-9000
11-14-2013, 12:15 AM
I was bullied once as a child, which was weird because I was about a foot taller and 50 pounds heavier than most kids...

was walking home after school, hit the park right behind my house and 3 older kids came up to me and kept asking me the time. Didn't click that I had a new watch with one of those huge leather wristbands on....so they pummeled me with fists and feet and took my watch :(

Saw 2 of them about a month later in the same neighborhood and waded into them like a fucking UFC fighter on meth, without a word of warning :lol: :lol: They ran like hell and never bothered me again

PorkChopSandwiches
11-14-2013, 12:20 AM
Exactly, you stood up for yourself, and problem solved

Griffin
11-14-2013, 01:02 AM
I think the establishment was wrong in how they came down on Carrie for standing up to her bullies.

Muddy
11-14-2013, 01:14 AM

And in Virginia , you got expelled for the entire school year... Hehe.. Sorry bud.. Im really not trying to fuck with you.. Lol

deebakes
11-14-2013, 01:46 AM
she's got some points :shrug:

FBD
11-14-2013, 12:41 PM
And in Virginia , you got expelled for the entire school year... Hehe.. Sorry bud.. Im really not trying to fuck with you.. Lol

As a parent, if my kid was in the right, I would back im up 100%. There's absolutely nothing wrong with defending yourself. Another reason why joint locks are so great :lol: You get a surrender and the offender gets to leave without looking like 'ee got his ass beat :dance: (good deal to make while they are in submission, hahaha)

Hal-9000
11-14-2013, 03:56 PM

I was able to....keep in mind I was 5'11' and 175 lbs in grade 4...had a huge growth spurt after grade 2 so I was lucky

and I'm Irish so the fisticuffs came naturally for me :lol:

not all kids can do the same when faced with bullies

Muddy
11-14-2013, 04:09 PM
As a parent, if my kid was in the right, I would back im up 100%. There's absolutely nothing wrong with defending yourself. Another reason why joint locks are so great :lol: You get a surrender and the offender gets to leave without looking like 'ee got his ass beat :dance: (good deal to make while they are in submission, hahaha)

I have the same mindset as well.. I'm just making the point you cant always just man up and level somebody in the middle of science class..

Hal-9000
11-14-2013, 04:30 PM
and as a parent, even with proof that your kid is being treated badly...you can't man up, go over to Jimmy's place and tune him up so he has the fear of God put into him :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-14-2013, 05:01 PM
I have the same mindset as well.. I'm just making the point you cant always just man up and level somebody in the middle of science class..

My son had some kid come up and kick him in the junk (unprovoked) My son punched him straight in the face and laid him out. I was more than happy to explain to the principle thats how we taught him, she agreed in the sense that he was attacked he was protecting himself, he did also get the rest of the week off on suspension. But, fuck I didn't punish him over it.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-14-2013, 05:01 PM

No fucking way they entire year.

Muddy
11-14-2013, 05:39 PM
No fucking way they entire year.

It depends on the circumstance.. Day 1 they had a school assembly and informed the students.. "You fight here, you are arrested, and we let Henrico county police sort out who was at fault..."

*edit* This at my 9th graders school, high school

FBD
11-14-2013, 05:48 PM
...and end of Day #1 I would have been looking for a new school. unless something illegal is going on like running drugs or shit, the police DO NOT belong in a fuggin school.

Muddy
11-14-2013, 08:01 PM
...and end of Day #1 I would have been looking for a new school. unless something illegal is going on like running drugs or shit, the police DO NOT belong in a fuggin school.

yeah yeah yeah.. blah blah blah.. No you wouldn't. Your option is to go to a private school then. I hope you have 15-25k a year extra laying around.