PDA

View Full Version : Obamacare Marriage Penalty

Acid Trip
11-18-2013, 05:24 PM
A little more proof that Democrats are trying to destabilize the family unit in hopes their "it takes a village" idiocy replaces it.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/penalty-marriage-obamacare_767194.html

Every time you think that we've finally touched bottom on Obamacare, some new problem emerges. So what began merely as a dysfunctional website became a broken and mis-designed system. When it turned out that lots of people were paying more for their plans, it then turned out that others were having their plans canceled—and that some people were even losing their doctors. And now we're finding that, along with everything else, Obamacare contains a marriage penalty, too.
Obamacare signing

A married couple can get Obamacare subsidies if their income is less than 400 percent above the poverty line. But because the federal poverty level for married couples is less than double the level for individuals, a couple that lives together without getting married can make more money than a married couple, yet still get Obamacare subsidies.

The Atlantic reports that in practice, this means that a married couple in New York making more than a combined $62,040 gets no subsidies from Obamacare. But two people who live together without getting married? They can make up to a combined $91,920 and still get subsidies from the government.

The government has a clear and compelling interest in promoting marriage: Virtually all of the research shows that stable marriages increase economic output, reduce poverty, shrink income inequality, lower rates of incarceration and drug use, and spur the creation of future taxpayers (aka babies). The tax code already discriminates against the government's interest by providing an economic incentive for couples to choose cohabitation over marriage. Now Obamacare has come along to magnify the discrimination.

It's not clear whether this perversity is accidental or by design. But it's yet another line item in the argument against what is clearly the most catastrophic piece of legislation in modern American history.

Muddy
11-18-2013, 05:28 PM
Imma tell you what it really takes.. Separation and gun protection.

perrhaps
11-18-2013, 06:39 PM
If every couple who had kids got married, would that put Maury Povich out of business?

FBD
11-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Government has no business saying jack shit about anyone's marriage.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Dont forget the 3.8% Medicare tax that will now be imposed if you sell your house and clear 250,000 as an individual or 500,000 as a couple.

FBD
11-18-2013, 06:54 PM
gotta make sure savers get beaten down any way possible, so the economy can recoup that money the saver stole out of it.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-18-2013, 06:55 PM
:tup:

FBD
11-18-2013, 07:00 PM
oh, and also authorize DHS to basically spy on you

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-va2Ff-vwmzU/UoZUDiZl2CI/AAAAAAAANZQ/TRQUmth7ED4/s1600/Check+up+on+me+and+my+family.png

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4k77Q8OOdzg/UoZUDPgkrBI/AAAAAAAANZM/txlj6-nbAPo/s1600/ACA+Terms+and+Conditions.png

1) Massive invasion of privacy even before you can get a somewhat customized budget estimate.

2) You sign away all your rights and privacy for yourself and your family, and actually authorize the Department of Homeland Security to investigate yourself and your family. And this is BEFORE you can get an actual quote.

3) One area of the website stated that with a $34,000 income that "my policy" would get over 50% of the annual fee refunded as a tax credit. And then further on in the budget quoting process, that tax credit was reduced to $285, or less 3% of the annual insurance cost for 2 people.

4) They have a "chat" function, but the federal worker responding takes FOREVER to respond, like they are looking in books on the other side. AND you have to agree to yet ANOTHER onerous giving away of your rights just to talk to them via chat. WAY too many lawyers worked on this site.

5) There is NO WAY to compare the 60 or so health choices presented for my County of my State. You have no idea the deductible, the copays, the items covered and percentages, and you can't find that anywhere on the website. Sheesh, average buying sites for commercial products let you do side by side table comparisons of various products that you checklist. This facilitates an informed decision making process, where you can eliminate the chaff quickly so you can focus your due diligence on items that really matter.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Wow

FBD
11-18-2013, 07:30 PM
yeah, and you wonder why only 36,000 people were stupid enough to sign up for it

Muddy
11-18-2013, 08:06 PM
All your base are belong to us.

Hal-9000
11-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Our medical data is shared throughout our healthcare system (a good thing) and I imagine our government has access to the same...

nothing about Homeland security tho ffs :lol:

Acid Trip
11-18-2013, 08:27 PM
All your base are belong to us.

That phrase still makes me chuckle after all these years.

Hal-9000
11-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Considering Muddy isn't much of a gamer, it makes me howl :lol:

deebakes
11-19-2013, 03:14 AM
:hills: