PDA

View Full Version : Virginia State senator stabbed, son dead, state police say

Teh One Who Knocks
11-19-2013, 05:40 PM
By Michael Pearson, CNN

http://i.imgur.com/zGrjkBg.jpg

(CNN) -- [Breaking news update at 12:26 p.m.]

Virginia State Sen. Creigh Deeds was "stabbed multiple times about the head and upper torso" in an assault at his home Tuesday morning, Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said Tuesday. His son, Gus Deeds, 24, died at the home from gunshot injuries, Geller said. Authorities found both injured in the home after receiving a 911 call around 7:25 a.m., she said. The state senator was in critical condition late Tuesday morning at University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville, the hospital said earlier. A motive in the incident is not yet known, Geller said, but she said authorities are not seeking any suspects.

[Original story, posted at 11:54 a.m.]

Virginia state Sen. Creigh Deeds stabbed at home

(CNN) -- The mysterious wounding of a Virginia state senator and the death of another person at the lawmaker's Bath County home rocked the state's political establishment on Tuesday.

State Sen. Creigh Deeds suffered what the Virginia State Police called "serious injuries" in the assault. He was flown to the University of Virginia Hospital in Charlottesville, where spokeswoman Angela Taylor said he was in critical condition.

Police did not provide any additional details about the person found dead at the home. A news conference was scheduled for noon Tuesday.

Deeds ran unsuccessfully as the Democratic nominee for governor against Republican Bob McDonnell in 2009 and as the Democratic nominee for attorney general -- also against McDonnell -- in 2005. He narrowly lost the latter race in a recount.

Virginia lawmakers reacted to the attack with astonishment and urged prayers for Deeds.

McDonnell, now Virginia governor, released a statement calling the news "heartbreaking."

"In this tough and sad time, our thoughts and prayers are with the Deeds family. The news from this morning is utterly heartbreaking," he said. "Creigh Deeds is an exceptional and committed public servant who has always done what he believes is best for Virginia and who gives his all to public service. He cares deeply about Virginia, and the people of Virginia care deeply for him."

On Twitter, Sen. Mark Warner called the report "stunning news."

"I am praying for @CreighDeeds and his family at this very, very difficult time," he tweeted.

FBD
11-19-2013, 05:42 PM
what kind of SSRIs was his son taking

Goofy
11-19-2013, 06:03 PM
:shock:

Hal-9000
11-19-2013, 06:53 PM
homicide dicks tell us that when someone is stabbed repeatedly about the head and face, that it's a personal attack usually by a known family member or spouse...

RBP
11-20-2013, 02:37 AM
what kind of SSRIs was his son taking

They are reporting tonight that he was recommended to go inpatient psych, but they were unable to find an available bed in the region, so he was sent home. Not sure I trust the source, but I'll throw that out there.