PDA

View Full Version : Dad Arrested for Complaining About School's Absurd Pick-Up Policy

Teh One Who Knocks
11-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Neetzan Zimmerman - Gawker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8r-bdcvx8E

A Tennessee father was arrested last week after objecting to a school policy prohibiting him from picking up his children on foot ahead of parents picking their children up by car.

Footage recorded last Thursday by Jim Howe's fiancée shows the father of two trying to reason with South Cumberland Elementary's School Resource Officer Avery Aytes by explaining to him that it makes no sense for him to wait behind a mile-long line of cars just so he can walk his kids home.

Apparently agitated by Howe's decision to involve the Cumberland County Sheriff, Aytes, who is also a Sheriff Deputy, threatened to arrest the man.

"I'm going to call some help down here and we're going to take you up to the jail right now," he says at the start of the video. "I'm not putting up with this today."

Howe continues to try and calmly convince Aytes that the policy is too strict and possibly illegal, but Aytes cuts him off and arrests him.

Local ABC affiliate WATE reached out to Sheriff Butch Burgess, who said he doesn't need to see the video "because it won't tell the whole story" and "Aytes was just doing his job."

Nonetheless, Burgess agrees with Howe and other irate parents that the policy is creating more safety concerns than it is addressing.

Though he feels parents should take their issues with the policy directly to school officials, he conceded that "the school system needs to realize you can't make a black and white law."

FBD
11-20-2013, 02:07 PM
I'm offended at schools having "resource Officers." This place is going to hell in a handbasket.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Someone needs to protect the children

Noilly Pratt
11-20-2013, 07:31 PM
I make it a point to park away from the school and I walk in because the people in their ultra large SUVs, minivans and the like, once they've got their kid, race off to the kid's next appointment (dance, music etc). The amount of near-misses is astounding. It's a free-for all.

And I make sure I arrive 10 minutes after the bell rings - Almost zero congestion then. My kid can wait in the hall or outside and the school doesn't mind. The principal comes out and supervises for 20 minutes and knows just about all of the parents who pick up the kids.

But this is dumb...bad location for the school if there's no facility for the parents to park or at least a street to pull over into.

But to arrest the guy? C'Mon.

Muddy
11-20-2013, 07:36 PM
I'm offended at schools having "resource Officers." This place is going to hell in a handbasket.

What? :lol: He's there to protect the kids... Fights, ignoarant parents, etc.. It's a friggin cop.... Times have changed man.. I personally requested a cop be at all my kids school EVERY day.