PDA

View Full Version : Jumbo jet 'stuck' after landing at wrong airport

redred
11-21-2013, 02:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/EBxX3xD.jpg

A Boeing 747 Dreamlifter cargo plane may be stuck at a minor airport in Kansas for some time after it apparently landed there by mistake.

The giant cargo jet was heading for McConnell air force base in Wichita but instead touched down at nearby Colonel James Jabara airport.

Local media report that the jet may be too large to take off from Jabara's 1,860m (6,100ft) runway.

Boeing is sending a tug to the airport to turn the plane around, reports say.

The firm said in a statement it would release further details on Thursday morning, local time.

It is not yet clear how the plane will leave Jabara airport.

Local news station KWCH reports that Boeing hopes to fly the Dreamlifter out of the small airport.

The cargo plane normally requires a runway of 2,780m (9,119ft) to take off at maximum weight, it says, and the tug dispatched to the airport to turn the jumbo around has broken down en route.

The Dreamlifter, which landed at Jabara on Wednesday evening, is a modified 747-400 passenger aeroplane, which can carry more cargo by volume than any aeroplane in the world, according to Boeing.

The aerospace company uses its fleet of four Dreamlifters to transport large assembled components of its 787 Dreamliner from suppliers around the world to the final assembly location in Washington state.

The City of Wichita tweeted that no one was injured and no property damage occurred when the plane landed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25032380

FBD
11-21-2013, 02:55 PM
empty 'er out and start 'er up! :lol: some pilot lost his job over this one

redred
11-21-2013, 03:44 PM
you think that will help gain 3000ft :shock:

:lol:

Noilly Pratt
11-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Last I heard the experts said they thought they could take off...just.

redred
11-21-2013, 04:22 PM
bet the pilots take a big dump before take off ,every little helps :lol:

FBD
11-21-2013, 05:57 PM
you think that will help gain 3000ft :shock:

:lol:

when ya gotta get up in the air, every last bit helps...they were 3000 ft short for max load....but what's the takeoff distance required for min load? its all about achieving airspeed velocity.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/f/6/f/f6f56518c69f50849e2f2f2fb26502c2.png

V_c , is the calibrated airspeed,
q_c , is the impact pressure (inches Hg) sensed by the pitot tube,
P_0 , is 29.92126 inches Hg; static air pressure at standard sea level,
a_0 , is 661.4788 knots;, speed of sound at standard sea level.

Pony
11-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Jumbo cargo jet back in the air after landing at wrong Kansas airport

A jumbo jet that landed at the wrong airport in Kansas departed Thursday for its intended destination a mere eight miles away.

The colossal Boeing 747 Dreamlifter landed at tiny Col. James Jabara Airport Wednesday night in Wichita after the pilots mistook it for McConnell Air Force Base. Neither the plane, the two pilots aboard, or the small airport were damaged during the landing.

Initially experts were concerned the Dreamlifter would not be able to take off from Jabara because its runway is a mere 6,101 feet, and the plane requires at least 9,199 feet of tarmac.

But engineers with the plane's operator, Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings, a New York-based cargo-hauler, said the jet with a wingspan of 211 feet was “safe for a normal departure at its current weight and conditions here,” according to Brad Christopher of the Wichita Airport Authority.

It took off at 2:15 p.m. and landed safely at McConnell minutes later.

It would then unload its cargo -- parts of Boeing's 787 Dreamliner -- as planned. The air force base is next to Sprit AeroSystems, which builds sections of the airplane.

The Dreamlifter made the embarrassing landing in an area where three airports -- Jabara, McConnell and Beech Airport -- have similar runway configurations.

Audio from the cockpit conveys the confusion of the pilots at the helm of the plane that can haul more cargo by volume than any airplane in the world, according to Boeing.

“Verify you are on the ground at Beech Airport?” an air traffic controller said.

The pilot replied: “We think so.”

The controller then said, “It appears you are at Jabara Airport.”

The pilot, clearly disoriented, replied, “Say it again?”

Noilly Pratt
11-21-2013, 10:15 PM
I was in a 747 taking off, and the pilot stressed that all crew and passengers must remain seated...that there was a hole at the end of the runway and he'd have to take off with full power.

I've never experienced such push-you-back-into-your-seat G forces and such a rapid ascent like that before. Whoo! Lots of "Holy f*#%ing shit" and yee-haws from the passengers. The guy behind me, a retired Wardair pilot said "That guy is going to be in so much s#1t for that...". :)

Pony
11-21-2013, 10:22 PM
I was in a 747 taking off, and the pilot stressed that all crew and passengers must remain seated...that there was a hole at the end of the runway and he'd have to take off with full power.

I've never experienced such push-you-back-into-your-seat G forces and such a rapid ascent like that before. Whoo! Lots of "Holy f*#%ing shit" and yee-haws from the passengers. The guy behind me, a retired Wardair pilot said "That guy is going to be in so much s#1t for that...". :)

Flying into and leaving Panama City Beach is a pretty fun ride too, they really put the hammer down to get off the short runway.

redred
11-22-2013, 08:22 AM
landing at Zakynthos airport does it for me ,very short and gives you the mother of all wedgies because the have to try and slow down so fast

FBD
11-22-2013, 02:05 PM
I'd take that over a sliding grind to a halt in a snowstorm, with water at the end of the runway ;)

here's de plane!
http://www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/content/csm-photo-galleries-images/photos-of-the-day-images/2013/1121/09/17502239-1-eng-US/09_full_900x600.jpg