PDA

View Full Version : Lakeview bar cancels 'Bin Laden Is Rot'n' party

Teh One Who Knocks
05-05-2011, 01:14 PM
By Rob Manker - Chicago Tribune reporter

The jubilant celebration of Osama bin Laden’s death seen at Ground Zero, the White House and elsewhere won’t be mimicked Friday night at a Chicago bar after all.

Live music venue Uncle Fatty’s in Lakeview had planned a bin Laden death-themed party for that night but says it quashed the idea after encountering backlash from some who received an email promoting the event, and on Wednesday apologized.

"Our intention was never to offend anyone," read a news release from Empower Public Relations and attributing the comments to "a representative of Uncle Fatty’s."

"After further consideration we have decided that this was a joke that was taken too far and have therefore decided to change the focus of the party. We have pushed the envelope in the past by hosting parties with irreverent themes, but we now recognize that this was perceived as inappropriate."

The original release announcing the "Osama bin Laden Is Rot'n" party was greeted by angry emails from some who received it, Empower said.

"Arrive at Uncle Fatty’s decked out in your favorite American-style swagger that represents your love of your country for no cover charge," read Monday’s first release. "This means garb sporting our nation’s flag, your favorite team USA t-shirt and any other creative clothing item you can think of.

"The staff will is pulling (sic) out all the stops for this event with specialty cocktails like 'The Floating Terrorist' and 'Osama Been Shot' — a blood red shooter made with vodka and grenadine."

Other bars, restaurants and apparel makers, local and national, have introduced bin Laden-themed events and products to mixed reaction since the former al-Qaida leader’s killing by U.S. forces Sunday in Pakistan.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Why the hell would they cancel this because a few people are 'offended' by it? I am so sick of PC people dictating everything in this friggin' country anymore :x

FBD
05-05-2011, 01:42 PM
cmon, these people have a RIGHT to not be offended!!! :lol:

RBP
05-05-2011, 03:02 PM
What are they offended by?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-05-2011, 03:05 PM
What are they offended by?

I would assume the same thing half the world seems to be offended by right now...that Americans are celebrating the heinous murder of bin Laden

RBP
05-05-2011, 03:09 PM
I would assume the same thing half the world seems to be offended by right now...that Americans are celebrating the heinous murder of bin Laden

I don't get that mentality. :idk:

beowulf
05-05-2011, 03:23 PM
now this is what i cant understand..................when the towers fell they were dancing in the streets, burning the stars n stripes................when something happens where 'westerners' and especially brits or yanks are killed they are dancing in the streets having a party...................all i can say is payback is a bitch, aint it

fuck em......party on, dudes

http://i54.tinypic.com/2cptgzl.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
05-05-2011, 03:35 PM
now this is what i cant understand..................when the towers fell they were dancing in the streets, burning the stars n stripes................when something happens where 'westerners' and especially brits or yanks are killed they are dancing in the streets having a party...................all i can say is payback is a bitch, aint it

:tup:

Godfather
05-05-2011, 04:03 PM
I don't get that mentality. :idk:

I'll think I can admit to getting it (though not agreeing in the least) :-k I have never seen westerners partying all night at the shooting death of anyone.

I'm not offended... but for me the partying was unpredictable and foreign - even a little morbid. When they were doing cheering in the streets in the Middle East on 9/11 I thought "those fucks, we would never do that!" Kinda expected Osama's death to would be a much more humble celebration; but hey... if anyone deserved to have his grave danced and pissed on....

Hal-9000
05-05-2011, 04:18 PM

This ^^^^^

Other countries can celebrate terrorists killing people, burn the flag publicly, hold rallies etc.....yet America removes a mass murderer and they have to remain silent out of some misguided sense of political correctness?????

Publish the pictures of Osama with a banner underneath reading - Attention ruthless dictators and terrorists! You wanna play hardball with America?...fine, we'll bring the bat.

RBP
05-05-2011, 04:23 PM
I was saying I don't understand the mentality of people considering it an act of murder, like a war crime, to kill him.

I admit I was a bit surprised by the dancing in the streets too.

Hal-9000
05-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Do they have a large memorial plaque at ground zero listing the names of the victims like the Vietnam memorial?

If so I think they should have a candlelight ceremony for the survivors of the victims.Solemn, low key and make it a closure ceremony.

RBP
05-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Do they have a large memorial plaque at ground zero listing the names of the victims like the Vietnam memorial?

If so I think they should have a candlelight ceremony for the survivors of the victims.Solemn, low key and make it a closure ceremony.

They're still building it :rolleyes:

Obama is there today for a wreath laying ceremony.

Hal-9000
05-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Have they decided what building(s) will be erected on the site?

My personal view again...I think they should build exact duplicates of the twin towers.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Have they decided what building(s) will be erected on the site?

My personal view again...I think they should build exact duplicates of the twin towers.

It's called the Freedom Tower....it's coming along nicely now that the red tape is over

http://www.nyc-tower.com/

Hal-9000
05-05-2011, 05:03 PM
It's called the Freedom Tower....it's coming along nicely now that the red tape is over

http://www.nyc-tower.com/

nice :thumbsup:

Godfather
05-06-2011, 07:05 AM
I'm 99% sure they changed the name to the One World Trade Center

Think it's half done now too :-k

Muddy
05-06-2011, 12:22 PM
nice :thumbsup:
I think the name "Freedom tower" is corny... :2cents:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Yeah, Freedom Tower was kinda dumb....GF is right, I looked it up and now it's just being called One World Trade Center