PDA

View Full Version : Teh Jags

FBD
12-01-2013, 04:48 PM
finally extracted two of them. one more to go :dance: probably going to be the only time in my life I can say yeah man, I have a super ultra rare car in my garage :lol: last reg date on the gold one, Dec 1970 :lol:

this gold one was modded, yeti modded further...
427 side oiler mid 60s nascar engine...so 6, 700hp on an 1800lb car...yeti said no car or even motorcycle on the road could come close to how fast this was. he used to work at the airport and filled this with jet fuel every day. said the time he did 180 in it, he easily had the RPMs to go 200...
big yed literally bent these headers himself and custom did his own oil pan....because special modded shit like that, that long ago...you did it yourself or it didnt get done.

and this is the one in my garage right now. I swear I've never seen a car actually smile before, but fkn a if this thing wasnt beamin' a huge smile when it got pulled out of that fkn crypt of a garage :lol:

deebakes
12-01-2013, 05:02 PM
looks like you have your work cut out for you going forward :shock:

good luck buddy, it will be interesting to watch the progress :tup:

redred
12-01-2013, 05:10 PM
e types go for big money :tup:

FBD
12-01-2013, 05:48 PM
yeah, in fully restored condition...$120-150k or more. saw a 61 that was very early in production, in worse shape than either of these go for $180k recently - total shit shape no restore or anything done on it. these, as is right now, going rate would probably be $13-20k, but I think that is very lowball, I dont think dave would part with any of 'em in as is for less than 25 or 30. now at least we can assess what we've got and devise a plan of action. the green one in my garage is all og, so we're probably going to try and make that one shiny and new. the gold modded one, my buddy wants to keep since him and his pops talked about working on that car forever but never got to it. side oiler's coming out for a rebuild and will not go back in, we may put the drivetrain from his mustang in it so its nice and fuel injected and driveable...but I told him, hey, if this thing is complete enough we may want to do a full resto job on the gold one also. and I'm hopeful that the blue one has enough parts to become a full car...we'll probably get that one next weekend...

we'll also have to figure out what to do with that engine, that thing itself has gotta be worth a good $10k+

KevinD
12-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Keep the pics coming and updates too.

FBD
12-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Will do...not sure what the pace will be, it will likely be a very slow process, there's still a ton of eval and decisions to be made...none of which are mine to make :lol:

Muddy
12-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Do you have the title on any of these? Meaning is FBD the owner?

FBD
12-08-2013, 12:39 AM
LOL...no, thought I had mentioned that...these belong to my best friend, his pops was like a dad to me. the only item of the yeti's that I've got my eyes on is that motoguzzi 850 t-3 ;)

Its cool finding out more stuff. That gold one is the worst of them all and needs a shitass ton of work on it...just happened to work out that was the first we started inspecting. The 427 is like splitting the thing in half, so its coming out, and SOON. The 427 is much rarer than thought also, its a 63...who teh fook was the builder...somethin & moody maybe? what happened was this team went under and they never bought the engine from the builder and yeti pops scooped it up. we saw some info that points it it perhaps being worth as much as 30, 35k...? we estimated 10 maybe 15 before. C3 heads and the whole knot...so basically its the engine that came in the original badass shelby cobra (http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2008/06/13/18/41/1967_shelby_cobra-pic-30251.jpeg), not sure what else it had done for it to be nascar-ready for the day...(factory 5, anyone? :wavey: )

took the hood off the green jag today and gave it a vacuum and a bit of a pb bath - that one looks pretty damn good, very restorable, nowhere near as much rot. I'll be able to snap some pics of the engine now that the hood's off. still needs a lot of work but it is nowhere near as decrepit as the gold one. we'll be taking a drive to check out the blue one soon...

time to go to the fire pit and have a couple beers :beer:

KevinD
12-09-2013, 04:31 AM
Holman moody? Holy he'll, if that's original, it will be worth some $$.

KevinD
12-09-2013, 04:37 AM
Too bad that's not a sohc 427.

Noilly Pratt
12-09-2013, 08:10 AM
I was gonna say Holman Moody. If that's the case, the proverbial sky may be the limit on the value. As it is, it is desireable as automotive history.

An ultimate barn find!

FBD
12-09-2013, 10:22 PM
that's the name - part of the mission now becomes finding/obtaining written proof of it :lol:

FBD
09-18-2014, 06:59 PM
Holman moody? Holy he'll, if that's original, it will be worth some $$.

So there's been an interesting update here...my buddy actually called Holman Moody, and after talking with a guy for 25 min, half hour....he realizes that he's talking to...Lee Holman - who told him exactly where to go look to see where the markers will be that make this a special engine. But based on conversation and a few key added parts - this is *the* very engine that everyone heard start up back in the day in 63, first year they started nascar, based on the presence of those few key parts that needed to be added to the nascar-ready ones.

Add to that - Holman was particularly interested in hearing about that gold jag - he said he had raced some MFer back in the day with *that exact setup* - and hell if he could catch the guy, the car was that good - so really what we are looking at here is a year matched, race proven setup - and Holman said you get this car restored right, this engine redone right with the right papers, and you will attract an entirely different caliber of buyer altogether that will just about dwarf what the originals were worth :-k :shock:

So since there is a need for papers and authenticity...once we get....well, once swayback finally gets his fuggin Ranger out of the grage...the gold jag is getting taken out of my garage and moved over there, we're going to remove the engine - and send it straight to holman moody for rebuild and paper certs and all that good stuff. Gold jag, needs a LOT of work, but it will commence...

motor itself=~$25k

KevinD
09-18-2014, 07:09 PM
Awesome. Don't let Dana Mecum hear about it yet.. lol

FBD
09-18-2014, 07:58 PM
:lol: none are for sale...at least not until they are restored and worth a shit ton of money :lol:

FBD
09-23-2014, 06:35 PM
its funny how many offers my buddy has had on these. many of them, swindle attempts, veritably. most try to assert that since the gold jag has been modified its not really worth much :lol: whereas Lee Holman said you have a truly, truly rare gem :lol: someone offered dave 60k for all 3 a month ago. turned that down right next to that $40k offer for the Neve board that Vintage King tossed at us :lol: (so you assholes can do the cap job I just did and then charge someone $70k+ for it? fuck you people!)

Noilly Pratt
09-23-2014, 07:32 PM
I bet you get Lenny Kravitz interested if you have a Neve board - he collects rare recording stuff like that and uses them in his recordings. He has the board from Abbey Road studios.

As for the Jags...thanks for the progress report, even if it's only people offering $.

You should approach the Speed channel or whatever passes for such nowadays and have them film the resurrection...more revenue streams! :)

FBD
09-23-2014, 08:46 PM
Its amazing how much business we're already getting because of it - at least half a dozen bands already want a piece of that :lol: Hell our recording buddy Jimmy in RI fried and sold his Toft board and bought a newer better one, apparently throwing a neve tantrum, he's salivated over them forever :lol: (but no way in hell will he ever own one....just like if we didnt have one bequeathed from the heavens, no fuggin way we ever would have bought a neve board.) Cool because there's seriously only a handful of these left, its definitely a huge attraction - good enough that it pretty much makes us a mastering house as well as a recording studio. Glad to see that 15 years of polishing digital turds is beginning to show some shine :lol: We'll probably be up and running well by the time INC is ready to record another album, it would be killer to get a name that big. Since the guitarist in Idiot Excuse that writes all the stuff for it plays bass for INC, that might just be a possibility...singer Dennis was at our show saturday, very nice guy....he goes jesus christ, you remind me of flea :lol: :banana: I think the only other relatively big name that has been tossed around is the printer/copier guy that does work for dave.....actually is like involved in being drummer for....wtf's his name...david coverdale? Hey, that's fuggin whitesnake, aint it? He inquired about recording his drums for whatever's next - at our place! :dance:

Yeah, that's why I've been spending 30+ hours a week working on this stuff until it is ready to go, I still have an assload of wiring and soldering to do.

In jagland, I think the gold one will be leaving my garage soon and going to dave's, I think swayback is FINALLY done working on his damn Ranger :lol: so that opens a bay up for us to get the jag in there, get that engine taken out....and we are thinking of perhaps using a couple engine stands and build a fuggin spit roaster for the body....it is going to need a TON of work.

One other good thing there is that our relatively new drummer for At Wits End also happens to be an unbelievable car/body/paint guy - to enough of an extent people seek him out and he can name his own price....he is *that* good that it doesnt really matter that he's got header pipes tattooed out the sides of his neck, has sleeves, big chest and back piece, couple on his face, one around the back of his head....and people dont give two shits because its the work they are about :lol:

I'm gonna have him paint that dimebag guitar...I wanted to have that done this year but looks like once again I have a thousand other things that wind up coming before it. fuggit, glad it at least has strings on it for now so I can at least play it!

Goofy
09-23-2014, 10:01 PM
Rumour has it that ladies undergarments fall off at the sight of a fully restored E-Type :-k

Griffin
09-24-2014, 12:57 AM
Rumour has it that ladies undergarments fall off at the sight of a fully restored E-Type :-k

mine too.

Noilly Pratt
09-24-2014, 06:03 AM
I got to ride in an friend's E-Type when I was 17. Bought it for $10,000 then sold it for $15,000 and thought he made out like a bandit. A 2+2...supposedly rare because it was when they were changing over from '67 to '68 bodies (series 1 to series 2), this one got a raked '68 windshield, but its registration was the last of the '67s.

Probably bogus, but a nice car fable. :)

FBD
09-24-2014, 03:47 PM
gotta love car fables :lol:

dave's uncle that rents the property has a few nifty cars too...and he just looooove to rev those engines and do burnouts.

doofus did one sunday on the....80 or so yards of street in front of the place with his sub 9 second late 80s mustang that has....some serious junk under the hood (as in you need to go to the back of the car and flip a switch to engage the fuel cell and shit) .... so he goes to do a burnout down the street, throttle got stuck 3/4 open...he came sooooooooooooooooo close to nailing this honda accord that was parked on the street trying to control the thing :facepalm:

but his brother's car....is one that will wind up on some album - he's got this really nice maverick, we brought a mic into the garage and recorded it starting up one day :drool: that sounded absolutely amazing. Sometime soon we are going to get 2 mics in there and record it stereo proper so it can be a song intro or something.

FBD
09-25-2014, 12:03 PM
ahahahahaha apparently there's video of that, I will attempt to obtain it :lol:

FBD
10-07-2014, 08:09 PM
Still havent been able to get my hands on that vid...

and in other news, goodbye AMX. we hoped to restore the thing, but its like 5th in line and there is no chance in hell of it getting restored anytime soon. fuggin green with a 390 in it and everything.

KevinD
10-07-2014, 11:54 PM
The guys on AMX forums might pay well for numbers matching

FBD
10-08-2014, 02:07 PM
hm...not sure to what extent it was numbers matching. already gone though! 4000 bucks, somewhat beat up, not running, definitely needed body work.

Noilly Pratt
10-08-2014, 03:23 PM
I hear with American Motors cars, Numbers-matching is on a whole other level - the VIN tells you a lot about the equipment the car had originally...

I remember a neighbour having a mid 70s Javelin and it was the brightest metallic green I've ever seen.

FBD
10-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Nice! Yeah we talked for years about getting it going, but there were always mustangs in line ahead of it, now there's mustangs and jags ahead of it, it got like 5, 6 deep in the queue and nowhere to put it, work on it, etc. It needs welding and fender and quarter panel work, aint no gem that's for sure. But we do have the buyer's info...if in the future it gets found again, that's an option if the conditions are right...

FBD
02-11-2015, 09:14 PM
check out this old find!

swayback still kicks himself every day. every. day. still to this day :lol: pops made him get rid of it in the gas crunch and 2 weeks later the buyer was a quadriplegic, unfortunately.

Noilly Pratt
02-11-2015, 09:45 PM
*drools at the thought*

Over 5K in 1969 would be about 30K now. Oh for a time travel machine!

I'd even take the '66 Fairlane GT mentioned as the trade.

FBD
02-11-2015, 09:57 PM
$3178 :lol: I just look at that and man.... crazy the debasement of the currency