View Full Version : Pakistanis say U.S. shot bin Laden in "cold blood"

Teh One Who Knocks
05-05-2011, 05:55 PM
By Augustine Anthony and Arshad Mohammed

ABBOTTABAD/ROME (Reuters) – A senior Pakistani security official said U.S. troops killed Osama bin Laden in "cold blood", fuelling a global controversy and straining a vital relationship Washington was trying to repair on Thursday.

And Pakistan's army, in its first comment since Monday's raid, threatened to halt cooperation with its military sponsor if it repeated what it called a violation of sovereignty.

But Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Washington was still anxious to maintain its alliance with Islamabad.

"It is not always an easy relationship. You know that," she said.

"But, on the other hand, it is a productive one for both our countries and we are going to continue to cooperate between our governments, our militaries, our law-enforcement agencies, but most importantly between the American and Pakistani people."

Americans are questioning how the al Qaeda leader could live for years in some comfort in a garrison town near the Pakistani capital. Some call for cutting billions of dollars in U.S. aid.

As Clinton was meeting European and Arab allies in Rome, Pakistan's Chief of Army Staff, General Ashfaq Kayani, issued a statement saying any new U.S. raids would mean a possible end to cooperation with the Pentagon on security and intelligence.

"Any similar action violating the sovereignty of Pakistan will warrant a review on the level of military/intelligence cooperation with the United States," the army said.

And in a further sign of fractious relations between the allies, senior Pakistani security officials told Reuters that U.S. accounts had been misleading in describing a long gun battle at the compound in Abbottabad where bin Laden and four others were killed by an elite squad of U.S. Navy SEALs.

"It was cold-blooded," said one Pakistani official when asked if there was any exchange of fire. After an initial account of a 40-minute firefight, U.S. officials have now been quoted saying only one person fired at the raiding party, and that only briefly as the helicopter-borne assault team arrived.

A U.S. acknowledgment that bin Laden was unarmed when shot in the head -- as well as the disposal of his body at sea, a practice rare in Islam -- have drawn criticism from the Arab world and Europe, where some have warned of a backlash against the West, even among Muslims who reject Qaeda's violence.

BIN LADEN UNARMED

The White House has blamed the "fog of war" for its changing stories. Citing U.S. officials, NBC television said four of the five people killed, including bin Laden himself, were unarmed.

The New York Times quoted officials in the administration of President Barack Obama saying bin Laden's courier fired the only shots against the Americans, in the early stages of the raid, from a guesthouse in the sprawling, high-walled compound.

"I know for a fact that shots were exchanged during this operation," said one Pentagon official.

Another senior Pakistani security official said no shots were fired inside the building where bin Laden was found.

"The people inside the house were unarmed. There was no resistance," the official said.

The two Pakistani officials declined to describe the sources of their information but confirmed several people from the compound were detained.

Pakistan's GEO TV quoted military sources saying bin Laden's Yemeni-born wife told them the Saudi-born al Qaeda leader had lived in Abbottabad for five years but had never ventured out.

Photographs taken by a Pakistani security official about an hour after the assault show three dead men -- not including bin Laden -- lying in pools of blood. No weapons could be seen in the closely cropped images obtained by Reuters.

U.S.-PAKISTAN FRICTION

Friction between Washington and Pakistan, a nuclear-armed Muslim ally in the war in Afghanistan and against al Qaeda, has focused on the role of Pakistan's top security service, the ISI or Inter-Services Intelligence Directorate.

With questions swirling about how far it was incompetence or connivance that allowed bin Laden to shelter so close to a major military academy, Pakistan's leaders and security officials have defended their roles and their commitment to the U.S. alliance.

Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir denied the Pakistani forces or ISI aided al Qaeda: "The critique of the ISI is not only unwarranted, it can not be validated," he said, echoing comments from the prime minister who blamed global intelligence failures.

Some Americans, including many in Congress, have suggested that Washington attach more strings to the billions of dollars in aid it gives Pakistan, or even cut off Islamabad altogether.

Bashir said: "That the ISI is incompetent is a value judgment. And we believe that this is not the time for anybody to indulge in the luxury of passing value judgments."

He also issued a warning -- seemingly directed as much at arch-rival India as to Washington -- against intrusions of the kind that saw U.S. troops raid deep inside Pakistan. While few in Pakistan supported bin Laden and his ideology, violations of sovereignty can provoke street protests and media outrage.

A major Islamist party in Pakistan, Jamaat-e-Islami (JI), called for mass protests on Friday against what it called a violation of sovereignty by the U.S. raid. It also urged the government to end support for U.S. battles against militants.

From abroad, China spoke up for Pakistan on Thursday: "Pakistan is a country at the forefront of counter-terrorism efforts, and the international community should give greater support and understanding," a foreign ministry spokeswoman said in Beijing. "We respect and understand Pakistan's stance."

"38 INTENSE MINUTES"

Washington has repeatedly defended its decision to kill bin Laden, though in fact foreign criticism of its failure to take him alive has not been heard in public from the leaders of its key allies in the battle against militant Islam.

In Rome for talks on aiding Libya's rebels, Clinton reminded her international audience that bin Laden had been a clear target for the United States since 2001 and that his death did not end the battle against al Qaeda.

She refused to comment on details of the operation, which she had watched unfolding on a live video transmission.

"Those were 38 of the most intense minutes," she said, referring to a photograph that caught her looking anxious during the raid. She put her gesture down to suppressing a cough.

Aside from defending its forces from criticism from abroad -- Attorney-General Eric Holder has called the shooting of bin Laden "an act of national self-defense" -- the United States has also had to counter those who question the death altogether.

Obama resisted pressure from aides to release photographs of bin Laden's body, saying the images could incite violence and be used by militants as a propaganda tool.

"Given the graphic nature of these photos, it would create some national security risk," Obama told CBS television.

"There's no doubt that bin Laden is dead," he added. "There are going be some folks who deny it. The fact of the matter is, you will not see bin Laden walking on this earth again."

PorkChopSandwiches
05-05-2011, 06:01 PM
fuck pakistan

Teh One Who Knocks
05-05-2011, 06:09 PM
I say we pull all our troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan and invade Pakistan...then we'll see what they have to say

PorkChopSandwiches
05-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Dont forget to pull our financial aid as well.

Hal-9000
05-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Yes cut off the billions for aid (and any sort of implied protection by the States) and then thoughtfully remind Pakistan how many innocent people in various terrorist attacks have been killed in 'cold blood', at the behest of Osama Bin Laden.

It really burns me you know....on the one hand these terrorists say that the US is the black plague of the world and kills innocents, then in the same breath they gleefully accept responsibility for a car or vest bomb that takes out civilians.

Muddy
05-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Awwwwwwww.... Boo boo!!! Dont get maddd..

Hal-9000
05-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Next aid package over there should contain about 1000 lbs of C4 with some nice crackers and tea on top...

RBP
05-05-2011, 06:41 PM
This whole thing is starting to piss me off

PorkChopSandwiches
05-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Next aid package over there should contain about 1000 lbs of C4 with some nice crackers and tea on top...

:tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-05-2011, 06:44 PM

http://i.imgur.com/M14B7.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
05-05-2011, 06:46 PM

I think they are doing this to just try and deflect all the questions as to how bin Laden could have lived in a complex like that down the street from their prestigious military academy for somewhere around 6 years and yet the Pakistani government had 'no idea he was there'

PorkChopSandwiches
05-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Its not like it stood out being 6x bigger then anything else in the area with 10 ft walls and barb wire:roll:

Hal-9000
05-05-2011, 06:53 PM

No shit, I don't even live there and sit here thinking....has the rest of the world forgot what this man has done across the globe?
Americans were not the only targets in Bin Laden's reign of terror....

The next time a whacko starts tearing apart the world using fear and death tactics, maybe the US should just sit back and watch the devastation unfold?
Wouldn't want to get a bad rep or anything :rolleyes:

Hal-9000
05-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Its not like it stood out being 6x bigger then anything else in the area with 10 ft walls and barb wire:roll:

I think that Pakistan has a lot to answer for and the questions should be turned around.
Almost seems like they're playing a game of misdirection...

RBP
05-05-2011, 06:55 PM
No shit, I don't even live there and sit here thinking....has the rest of the world forgot what this man has done across the globe?
Americans were not the only targets in Bin Laden's reign of terror....

The next time a whacko starts tearing apart the world using fear and death tactics, maybe the US should just sit back and watch the devastation unfold?
Wouldn't want to get a bad rep or anything :rolleyes:

IKR, wtf.

Acid Trip
05-05-2011, 07:00 PM
If Pakistan didn't have nukes we'd ignore them like we do the other Arab countries. And we wonder why Iran wants nukes so bad, it's instant attention for the attention whores!

Muddy
05-05-2011, 07:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7aShcmEksw

Acid Trip
05-05-2011, 07:08 PM
How do I know this story is full of shit?

Because blood is warm. :-k

lost in melb.
05-06-2011, 12:29 AM

Come on, it's just like any other luxury villa :hand:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/osama-bin-laden-death/compound.jpg

Muddy
05-06-2011, 01:37 AM
I can't believe we really found him.. It's been so long..

Griffin
05-06-2011, 01:40 AM
Come on, it's just like any other luxury villa :hand:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/osama-bin-laden-death/compound.jpg

good thing they had the heliport cleared. :mrgreen:

Muddy
05-06-2011, 01:45 AM
Yeah, that was really cool of them... :thumbsup:

DemonGeminiX
05-06-2011, 04:03 AM
Fuck Pakistan.

Godfather
05-06-2011, 06:35 AM
Did Pakistan even condemn 9/11 :wha:

They're so full of shit it's unbelievable...

Deepsepia
05-06-2011, 11:57 AM
I think they are doing this to just try and deflect all the questions as to how bin Laden could have lived in a complex like that down the street from their prestigious military academy for somewhere around 6 years and yet the Pakistani government had 'no idea he was there'

Yes, bit of a "nagging question" that one, isn't it?

These guys are duplicitous weasels . . . and they have nuclear weapons.

What to do about them is a problem with no obvious "good solution".

FBD
05-06-2011, 12:07 PM
At least they arent actively scanning for targets with them like Iran would be doing if they had one right now...

Goofy
05-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Bin Laden was shot in cold blood........ unarmed.......... remind me again, were the people inside the twin towers armed and able to defend against a plane? :-k

Fuck them....... personally i wouldnt have wasted a bullet if he was unarmed, shouldve stomped on his head until he died

Southern Belle
05-09-2011, 01:35 AM
And the people who were killed on 9/11 weren't killed in cold blood? I don't give a fuck what Pakistan thinks. I'm pissed off that my tax dollars are still supporting the terrorist fuckers.

Hal-9000
05-09-2011, 01:43 AM
I have faith that the Pakistani folks responsible will be held accountable is some way.

Yes they have nukes...America also has other solutions to world problems, that may occur in the background and we'll never hear about it on the front page :rolleyes:

Southern Belle
05-09-2011, 01:46 AM
I have faith that they'll be held accountable too. Amen. Fuckers.

Really, I'm sick and tired of these terrorists trying to make themselves appear as victims. I've had enough.

Hal-9000
05-09-2011, 01:51 AM
What I can't understand is that some of the followers of the Muslim faith (the extremists) can't all be idiots.There's so much evidence of murder and killing, yet they all seem to turn a blind eye to the role their side has played.
Surely there must be a contingent of that population that sees the error of their ways.

Southern Belle
05-09-2011, 01:55 AM
Or maybe they think we're stupid or naive or something?

Hal-9000
05-09-2011, 01:58 AM
I brought this up in an old thread and regretted it...maybe it's time again :lol:

Muslims and Christians have been fighting for centuries.To me...it really feels like things are progressing again to the point of our world getting badly burned over this conflict.
I hope I'm not right

Southern Belle
05-09-2011, 02:04 AM
I know what you're saying, especially if you read Revelations.

There are no easy answers. Two Muslim men were put off a flight from somewhere in Tenn to Charlotte in the last few days because of their dress, appearance, and the threats of retaliation for the death of BL. The passengers weren't comfortable and the pilots refused to fly them.
They're retaining lawyers and crying racism.
Nobody cares.
I say, put on your big boy panties and deal with what your brothers have done to the world and don't expect to be kindly considered.

FUCKERS

samarchepas
05-09-2011, 02:39 AM
What I can't understand is that some of the followers of the Muslim faith (the extremists) can't all be idiots.There's so much evidence of murder and killing, yet they all seem to turn a blind eye to the role their side has played.
Surely there must be a contingent of that population that sees the error of their ways.
Good thing that ALL Muslims are not extremists...or we would be fucked! :lol: (over 1 BILLION of them!)

DemonGeminiX
05-09-2011, 02:41 AM
Good thing that ALL Muslims are not extremists...or we would be fucked! :lol: (over 1 BILLION of them!)

If they were all extremists, that would be a good excuse for population control.

8-[

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2011, 10:41 AM

If they aren't all (or at the least most of them) extremists, and there are so many of them in the world, then why don't they all rise up and put and end to the violence? Or why don't they come out and condemn it when some terrorist attack happens? :-k

Islam is far from a religion of peace, no matter what they try and say about it.