PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte man arrested for planning to harm first responders

Teh One Who Knocks
12-05-2013, 05:43 PM
By: Kate Gaier - News 14 Carolina

http://i.imgur.com/aSe20ah.jpg

CHARLOTTE -- Police uncovered hundreds of knives, guns and even a threat of booby traps inside a northwest Charlotte home.

Search warrants say 68-year old Garrett Nagle planned to ambush first responders as they answered his 911 call for help. It was a scenario Nagle told police about in May, when he was first arrested for communicating threats.

Neighbors along Hoover Circle in northwest Charlotte say they knew something wasn't right with Garrett Nagle.

"He used to watch the neighborhood all day and all night," said neighbor Thaineja Downing. "He's always acted weird. He used to say very weird things. But he was also nice."

What they didn't know, was that their neighbor was working on a plan to kill first responders and police officers answering his 911 call for help.

Search warrants describe a plan Nagle first told CMPD about in May, when he was arrested for communicating threats. Nagle, armed with a .22 caliber, threatened one officer and spit on another. He told them about a scenario where he would call 911 and wait for help. Nagle said he would kill the first four or five responders, then police. And he would barricade himself inside and wait for SWAT. Nagle said he would commit suicide by cop.

"[It's] very alarming,” said Downing when she heard about his elaborate plan. “I didn't think [those] type of things were going through his head. I didn't think he was that sick."

Nagle stabbed himself last week, telling the 911 operator "his spirit would come back to crucify those who harassed him." And that the CIA was stealing money from him. Police found hundreds of knives, guns, real and fake, and dozens of prescription pills inside his home.

"It reminds me of the kids with the school problems, you know the shootings at the schools, is what came to mind," said neighbor Lester Williams.

Williams said he never had any major problems with Nagle, but he was aware of other neighbors who did.

Officers took Nagle into custody without anyone else getting injured. He was involuntarily committed by Mecklenburg County. He has a court appearance scheduled in January for his prior arrests.