PDA

View Full Version : Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95

Teh One Who Knocks
12-05-2013, 10:49 PM
ABC News

http://i.imgur.com/28emUuJ.jpg

Nelson Mandela, the former South African president whose stubborn defiance survived 27 years in prison and led to the dismantling of the country's racist and brutal apartheid system, has died. Mandela was 95 years old.

South Africa's president says Nelson Mandela has died at age 95. Jacob Zuma says "We've lost our greatest son," South African President Jacob Zuma said in announcing Mandela's death.

Mandela had a number of issues with his health in recent years including repeated hospitalizations with a chronic lung infection. Mandela had been listed in "serious but stable condition" after entering the hospital in June before returning to home to receive continued medical care.

In April, Mandela spent 18 days in the hospital due to a lung infection and was treated for gall stones in December 2012.

Mandela's public appearances had become increasingly rare as he dealt with his declining health.

His last public appearance was in July of 2010, when he attended the final match and closing ceremonies of the soccer World Cup held in South Africa.

In 2011, Mandela met privately with Michelle Obama when the first lady and her daughters traveled to South Africa.

Mandela and the Legacy He Leaves Behind

One of the giants of the 20th century, Mandela's career was marked not only by his heroic resistance to racism, but also by his poised and soft spoken demeanor.

After enduring nearly three decades of prison, much of it at hard labor in a lime quarry, Mandela emerged as a gentle leader who became South Africa's first black president. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his leadership in ending apartheid without violence, and later became a global statesman who inspired millions people around the world.

Mandela was born in 1918, the son of a tribal leader, in a remote village in South Africa.

His tribal name, Rolihlahla, meant "troublemaker," a moniker Mandela would more than live up to in his lifetime.

In 1952, he emerged onto the national stage when he helped organize the first country-wide protests called the Defiance Campaign. That same year he opened the country's first black law firm.

Ruth Mopati, his secretary at the firm, wrote about the way he was then in the book "Mandela," saying, "He was able to relate to people with respect and therefore he was respected in return."

While Mandela's party, the African National Congress, had always been dedicated to non-violence, in 1960 the ANC was banned to prevent further protests after police shot dead 69 black protestors in what became known as the Sharpeville massacre.

The events radicalized the organization and led to the creation of the ANC military wing, for which Mandela became its first commander in 1961.

In 1962, Mandela was sent to prison on a charge of inciting a strike.

"At 1:30 in the morning, on March 30, I was awakened by sharp, unfriendly knocks at my door, the unmistakable signature of the police. 'The time has come,' I said to myself as I opened the door to find half a dozen armed security policemen," Mandela said.

Two years later, Mandela was sentenced to life in prison for sabotage and conspiracy to overthrow the white government. Much of the next 27 years in prison were spent in the infamous Robben Island prison where he did hard labor in a lime quarry.

During his nearly three decades behind bars, Mandela would become a myth. The government even banned any use of Mandela's image or words, leaving a whole generation to grow up knowing little about the world's most famous political prisoner.

Nelson Mandela Teamed Up With White Leader F.W. de Klerk

Mandela spoke about his time in his autobiography: "A nation should not be judged by how it treats its highest citizens, but its lowest ones -- and South Africa treated its imprisoned African citizens like animals."

After 27 years, President F.W. de Klerk announced in 1990, "Mr. Nelson Mandela will be released from Victor Vestor prison…" On Feb. 11, 1990 Mandela emerged from prison into a world he had not seen in almost three decades.

Mandela described leaving the prison and greeting the crowds by saying, "I raised my right fist and there was a roar. I had not been able to do that for 27 years and it gave me a surge of strength and joy."

The country's black townships erupted into celebration for a returning hero. Mandela announced: "Today all South Africans -- black and white -- know that apartheid has no future."

Mandela and de Klerk forged an uneasy partnership in the coming years, despite sharing the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993.

Peace, however, would not come quickly. More than 4,000 people died in political violence in the year leading up the country's free elections in 1994.

On April 27, 1994, millions of blacks in an extraordinary show of determination lined up for hours to cast their first ballots. The ANC won in a landslide and Mandela became South Africa's first black president.

Mandela announced: "I am the product of Africa and her long cherished dream of a rebirth that can now be realized so that all of her children may play in the sun."

He remained in office for five years. In 1999 in his final act of leadership, he oversaw the peaceful transfer of power to a handpicked successor.

His post-prison years were marred, however, by the scandal that surrounded his wife Winnie Mandela. They were married for only four months when Mandela was sent away to prison, and she spent the next 27 years campaigning for his release and amassing her own power base.

By the time Mandela was freed from jail, Winnie had become an unpopular and feared figure in South Africa. She was eventually convicted of kidnapping in the case of four teenage boys, including one who died. She was sentenced to six years in prison, but the charges were later reduced to theft and fraud and she was forced to pay a fine instead.

Mandela's Late in Life Love Life

Mandela, who had stood by his wife at first, divorced her in 1995 after revealing to a South African court that his wife was carrying on an adulterous affair that left him as "the loneliest man."

But a late-in-life romance blossomed for the gentle statesman with Graca Machel, an influential campaigner for children's rights and the widow of Mozambique's former president Samora Machel. The two were married in 1998 on Mandela's 80th birthday. She was 52.

In 2001 Mandela was diagnosed with prostate cancer, but doctors said that wasn't unusual for man of Mandela's age and treated it with radiation therapy.

After he left office, Mandela became a global statesman, mediating conflicts in some of the world's worst troubled spots.

He also devoted much of his time to his charity for children. In an interview with PBS' "Frontline," Rick Stengel who co-authored "A Long Walk to Freedom" with Mandela, said , "One of the things that separates Mandela from other people ... is that he's an optimist. He's a cockeyed optimist."

In 2008, tens of thousands of people turned out in London to honor him for his 90th birthday. Nelson Mandela told them the fight against injustice is not yet won. But after a lifetime of working for peace, he told the crowd, "It is in your hands now."

The following year, actor and director Clint Eastwood delivered his Academy award-winning film, "Invictus," telling the story of Mandela's efforts to unite the people of South Africa through a national rugby team in 1995. The title of the film came from a short Victorian poem by the same name that Mandela was known for reciting.

In the end, the boy who was named "troublemaker" became one of the greatest peacemakers of the past century.

He will be greatly remembered as a symbol of the fight for human rights, and as a leader who healed a greatly divided nation in the face of overwhelming odds.

Mandela ends his autobiography, "Conversations With Myself," saying, "I have walked the long road to freedom. I have tried not to falter; I have made missteps along the way. But I have discovered the secret -- that after climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. I have taken a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back on the distance that I have come. But I can rest for a moment, for with freedom comes responsibilities and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not yet ended."

Spyker
12-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Sad day.

Hal-9000
12-05-2013, 11:42 PM
wow, I knew most of the background but this guy had strength through adversity

:(

Muddy
12-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Sad day.

Is that the general sentiment? You admired him? (I'm asking because I know you know whats beyond the headlines)

Teh One Who Knocks
12-06-2013, 11:39 AM
ABC News

Former South African President Nelson Mandela, who died at the age of 95 today, spent much of his life fighting the injustices of apartheid.

After spending 27 years in prison for battling the apartheid government, Mandela went on to win the first fully democratic election in South African history, and in 1993 was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his decades of work for human equality.

Life of Nelson Mandela: See the Photos

Over his storied career, Mandela eloquently voiced his opinions and detailed his life experiences, leaving a trail of some of the most inspiring quotations of our time.

Here are some of Mandela's most memorable words:

Democratic and Free Society

"During my lifetime, I have dedicated myself to this struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons will live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for. But, my lord, if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die."

--April 1964, statement from the dock at the opening of his defense case in the Rivonia trial

Genuine Brotherhood

"Let the strivings of us all prove Martin Luther King Jr. to have been correct, when he said that humanity can no longer be tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war. Let the efforts of us all prove that he was not a mere dreamer when he spoke of the beauty of genuine brotherhood and peace being more precious than diamonds or silver or gold. Let a new age dawn."

--December 1993, Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech

New Era

"Today we are entering a new era for our country and its people. Today we celebrate not the victory of a party, but a victory for all the people of South Africa."

--May 1994, election victory speech to the people of Cape Town, South Africa

Healing Wounds

"The time for the healing of the wounds has come. The moment to bridge the chasms that divide us has come. The time to build is upon us."

--May 1994, at his inauguration as president of the Democratic Republic of South Africa.

No One Is Born to Hate

"No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite."

--1994, from his autobiography, "Long Walk to Freedom"

Bravery and Fear

"The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."

--1994, "Long Walk to Freedom"

Forgiveness

"We recall our terrible past so that we can deal with it, to forgive where forgiveness is necessary, without forgetting; to ensure that never again will such inhumanity tear us apart; and to move ourselves to eradicate a legacy that lurks dangerously as a threat to our democracy."

--February 1999, opening address at the debate on the report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission

AIDS

"AIDS is no longer just a disease; it is a human rights issue. It affects people of all ages but particularly young people. For the sake of all of them and our future, we must act and act now."

--November 2003, 46664 concert at Green Point Stadium in Cape Town, South Africa

Human Progress

"Your election to this high office has inspired people as few other events in recent times have done. Amidst all of the human progress made over the last century, the world in which we live remains one of great divisions, conflict, inequality, poverty and injustice. Amongst many around the world a sense of hopelessness had set in as so many problems remain unresolved and seemingly incapable of being resolved. You, Mr. President, have brought a new voice of hope that these problems can be addressed and that we can in fact change the world and make of it a better place."

--January 2009, on the inauguration of Barack Obama as president of the United States

Goofy
12-06-2013, 12:49 PM
A great man who i'm sure will never be forgotten. RIP

Muddy
12-06-2013, 03:49 PM
"Nelson Mandela was the head of UmKhonto we Sizwe, (MK), the terrorist wing of the

ANC and South African Communist Party. He had pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public

violence including mobilizing terrorist bombing campaigns, which planted bombs in public places, including the Johannesburg railway station. Many innocent people, including women and children, were killed by Nelson Mandela’s MK terrorists.

South African President P.W. Botha had, on a number of occasions, offered Nelson Mandela freedom from prison, if he would only renounce terrorist violence. This Mandela refused to do. - Invictus Idolatry

http://i.imgur.com/U8GW4Mw.jpg

* The full list of munitions and charges read as follows:

• One count under the South African Suppression of Communism Act No. 44 of 1950, charging that the accused committed acts calculated to further the achievement of the objective of communism;

• One count of contravening the South African Criminal Law Act (1953), which prohibits any person from soliciting or receiving any money or articles for the purpose of achieving organized defiance of laws and country; and

• Two counts of sabotage, committing or aiding or procuring the commission of the following acts:

1) The further recruitment of persons for instruction and training, both within and outside the Republic of South Africa, in:

(a) the preparation, manufacture and use of explosives—for the purpose of committing acts of violence and destruction in the aforesaid Republic, (the preparation and manufacture of explosives, according to evidence submitted, included 210,000 hand grenades, 48,000 anti-personnel mines, 1,500 time devices, 144 tons of ammonium nitrate, 21.6 tons of aluminum powder and a ton of black powder);

(b) the art of warfare, including guerrilla warfare, and military training generally for the purpose in the aforesaid Republic;

(ii) Further acts of violence and destruction, (this includes 193 counts of terrorism committed between 1961 and 1963);

(iii) Acts of guerrilla warfare in the aforesaid Republic;

(iv) Acts of assistance to military units of foreign countries when involving the aforesaid Republic;

(v) Acts of participation in a violent revolution in the aforesaid Republic, whereby the accused, injured, damaged, destroyed, rendered useless or unserviceable, put out of action, obstructed, with or endangered:

(a) the health or safety of the public;

(b) the maintenance of law and order;

(c) the supply and distribution of light, power or fuel;

(d) postal, telephone or telegraph installations;

(e) the free movement of traffic on land; and

(f) the property, movable or immovable, of other persons or of the state.

Source: The State v. Nelson Mandela et al, Supreme Court of South Africa, Transvaal Provincial Division, 1963-1964, Indictment.

redred
12-06-2013, 04:51 PM
turn his life around and that of his country didn't he :tup:

Muddy
12-06-2013, 04:57 PM
turn his life around and that of his country didn't he :tup:

How many white people did he kill through terrorist acts to accomplish that?

Teh One Who Knocks
12-06-2013, 05:00 PM

If you were black living in RSA when he did, you'd hate Whitey too. Don't pretend to know what he was dealing with and going thru.

redred
12-06-2013, 05:04 PM

white people were the only skin colour killed ?

Muddy
12-06-2013, 05:19 PM
If you were black living in RSA when he did, you'd hate Whitey too. Don't pretend to know what he was dealing with and going thru.

As long as you don't pretend that the story being fed to you is accurate. Maybe I would hate whitey if I was black living back then. But in our modern society we are taught that attempting to overthrow a government through terrorist acts is wrong. This guys no Martin Luther King Jr.

redred
12-06-2013, 05:23 PM
and black people voted in that government ?

Muddy
12-06-2013, 05:28 PM
and black people voted in that government ?

What are you talking about? :lol: Are you advocating terrorism?

DemonGeminiX
12-06-2013, 06:30 PM
But in our modern society we are taught that attempting to overthrow a government through terrorist acts is wrong.

So I guess George Washington was a terrorist then.

Muddy
12-06-2013, 06:45 PM
So I guess George Washington was a terrorist then.

By today's definitions (which I didn't write), possibly. There's a fine line whether or not you get labeled terrorist or freedom fighter.

Noilly Pratt
12-06-2013, 06:59 PM
I hope this does not dissolve into a fight, or stoke the fires for one. Not my intent at all here, as I'm sure it's no one else's intent either. A man has died, and I'm sad to see a catalyst for change pass.

I am very glad you pointed out the points you said, Muddy -- I hope people will temper their idolizing of Nelson Mandela with the knowledge of the full man. I am old enough to remember the ongoing stuff in the 70's and beyond with Mandela, and in my youth was quite interested because some of my relatives lived in S.A. Yes, they were part of the problem, and we cringed and chastised them when they spoke about their "boys" (servants) and their cavalier attitudes. They were stupid to think that their way of life would continue uncontested by those they oppressed. I recall my father telling my uncle Len when he visited. "Your day of reckoning will come." Prophetic.

Mandela was no saint by any stretch of the imagination and much blood was shed, some at Mandela's order, when Apartheid was fought against. That is fact. He had things to atone to, that is for sure. For instance, he and Noriega were tight and he made deals with him for weaponry and in return gave him the highest honours that SA can give a person. BUT temper your content of the man with this nugget of info as well...Ronald Reagan's regime funded the weapons used against the freedom fighters, and knew milllions would be slaughtered, so neither side comes away unblemished here.

These are dark days in history, and this man was a party to and a part of it. Could Apartheid have ended without bloodshed? Probably not. Was Mandela especially cruel? Perhaps he was. A saint, he ain't.

If you want to see scary stuff, Google his ex-wife Winnie Mandela. She was a wicked woman who used both sides...I'll leave it at that.

DemonGeminiX
12-06-2013, 07:19 PM
By today's definitions (which I didn't write), possibly. There's a fine line whether or not you get labeled terrorist or freedom fighter.

Every freedom fighter is a terrorist to the institution that the freedom fighter opposes. It just depends on your point of view, which side you're on.

Hal-9000
12-06-2013, 07:38 PM
I read that he adopted the means to fight people who had killed and maimed thousands. Like most people know, he wasn't Gandhi, he was a realist seeking peace between factions in his country. Words didn't work so he met them on their level.

Did the means justify the end? I think it did. Otherwise the bullying and outright mass slaughter would continue unabated.

Spyker
12-06-2013, 08:47 PM
It's hard explaining to non south africans

The outside world is told that we were all raised to hate blacks. Things for me cant be further from the truth. I was raised to respect people no matter what colour. some of fondest memories is of our black gardener pushing me around in a wheelbarrow while i pretended to be a tank gunner just like my older brother and shooting 'terre' (terrorists). I had no idea at age 4 what a fucking terrorist was and that gardener could have hated me for what i was playing but i would sit outside with him in the shade of a tree and he would tell me stories of his kids and his homestead in zululand. He never hated me and my family didnt hate him.

My mother on the other hand had special plates for 'die boy en meit'. they were for blacks. i didnt know why. it just was. I can gladly say i dont do the same. I have a black gardener and his wife cleans our house now and then. I pay them well. I treat them well. I made sure that same gardener got a full time job but he still likes working for me. He says I make better sandwiches than his wife. He also says my coffee tastes better than his. He told me once that he only got to grade 8 in school but his children completed school and he wants his grandchildren to go to university. The money he gets from working for white people pays for that. In the old south africa that would never have happened. It may not be perfect now but it is better.

I also wanna throw in here now that the black guy that stays across the street shared a beer with me once while i was watering my garden and we got to talking about these guys wanting to take our houses. He said, 'Dont worry umlungu(white man). If they take your house they will want to mine too because i have a nicer garden and car'.

Yes, mandela was a terrorist. so was the ANC. The fact they could forgive the injustices done to them makes them maybe not saints but saintly.

Also, you mericans did sell us weapons. first you would sell them to israel and they would sell them to us. we in turn would capture russian SAM sites, tanks and advanced weapons and give them over to israel. guess where they ended up?

When mandela was released we were scared. We saw what happened in Mozambique, Angola and zimbabwe. My brothers were in full on warfare in nothern Namibia and southern angola(not a well known fact but we were shooting down russian mig fighters, russian tanks and cuban troops by the hundred). When he spoke on television he spoke of peace and forgiveness. When he walked out onto the field during the world cup final in 95 white people in RSA knew that our sins may not ever be forgotten but just maybe, they could be forgiven.

Fast forward almost 20 years and there is still division in south africa. it is a divide between rich and poor and not race. we are the only country in the world where a majority people are protected with employee quotas. Things were done in the wrong manner. education was not reformed in the manner that it should have. Unfortunately some people dont see it this way. they still see it as white oppression. they want whites to give up land and jobs. Luckily it's a small group of people. The majority of south africans wont let that happen. "Never, never and never again" is what mandela said i believe.

Hal-9000
12-06-2013, 08:58 PM
my only 'experience' with SA was dating a girl in high school from Rhodesia. She was white, hot and rich...also she was dumber than a bagful of hammers.

I broke up with her after she said - Life in Canada is different than my home. We don't have house niggers to do our meals, cleaning and laundry over here.

Not a big deal in terms of comments, but I was brought up differently and knew that her and I would eventually disagree on certain things....my friends thought I was crazy dumping her.

I know the issues in SA are not just about black and white...I do think that Mandela stood for a unified, more fair country if that makes any sense.

thanks for the insight Spyk, it's a different world over there

redred
12-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Thanks spyker :tup:

Muddy
12-06-2013, 09:16 PM

:qft: Although we do share a similar history with the mis-treatment of blacks. Whats fucked up though is how the people that weren't responsible for their mis-treatment are now held responsible..

PorkChopSandwiches
12-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Also, you mericans did sell us weapons. first you would sell them to israel and they would sell them to us. we in turn would capture russian SAM sites, tanks and advanced weapons and give them over to israel. guess where they ended up?

Thats what we do, we arm both sides :dance:

Hal-9000
12-06-2013, 10:37 PM
:qft: Although we do share a similar history with the mis-treatment of blacks. Whats fucked up though is how the people that weren't responsible for their mis-treatment are now held responsible..

that may have been the most blatantly obvious post that I've made in my life :lol:

:doh:

Hal-9000
12-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Thats what we do, we arm both sides :dance:

http://i40.tinypic.com/zo9475.jpg

Spyker
12-07-2013, 07:32 AM
my only 'experience' with SA was dating a girl in high school from Rhodesia. She was white, hot and rich...also she was dumber than a bagful of hammers.

I broke up with her after she said - Life in Canada is different than my home. We don't have house niggers to do our meals, cleaning and laundry over here.

Not a big deal in terms of comments, but I was brought up differently and knew that her and I would eventually disagree on certain things....my friends thought I was crazy dumping her.

I know the issues in SA are not just about black and white...I do think that Mandela stood for a unified, more fair country if that makes any sense.

Dont confuse rhodesians(zimbabweans and zambians) with south africans. we generally dont like them.

Noilly Pratt
12-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Dont confuse rhodesians(zimbabweans and zambians) with south africans. we generally dont like them.

I had cousins in both SA and Rhodesia/Zimbabwe. The Zimbabwe-ans (my aunt and uncle) were far more well-to-do and "the world owes me a living" for sure. And fairly dense if I'm honest. They did their best to impress, with "Ian Smith said this to me at the cocktail party" etc.

Sometime in the late 70's, a few years before Rhodesia became Zim/Zam, my aunt from England visited them down in Salisbury (now Harare). She was quite blunt and asked one their "boys" if he was given the order would he kill them. He replied a matter of factly "No, I am loyal to this family. I would kill next door's family, and their boys would kill here." and then, sensing my aunt's incredulous reaction added. "I would warn them as early as I could do when they should leave."

Eventually that did happen, and they did get a day's warning. The next generation wised up and moved to London.

Muddy
12-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Spyk- I have been thinking about this and I bet theres something here.. I bet Mandela didn't kill/ rid the country of white people when he was released because he knows damn well they need white people for that country to succeed.

SA would be another Liberia in 6 months without you guys..

Spyker
12-09-2013, 09:29 PM
an old argument used by many white south africans

it is true that white people had the knowledge and skills to make things work. one of the biggest problems affirmative action created was put white people out of work with sevarence packages. those people stated companies of their own and became very successful. Barloworld is one example of such.

you can still see the evidence of large scale movement of whites from government institutions. They use consultants by the hundreds because the skills simply dont exists.

in fact, mandela did actually say that we cannot rebuild south africa without white people