PDA

View Full Version : The Doro PhoneEasy 520X - my new phone

Hal-9000
12-13-2013, 06:46 PM
:lol:

Contract ran out and it was time for me to pick up a new phone. I selected the Doro 520X.

check out what's under the hood:

1. no swiping or touch screen
2. no apps
3. no downloading anything
4. no video camera
5. no mapping buttons or ability to organize menu components

What it does have...

extremely loud call and hearing volume, one setting is for people with hearing aids
large text and super large text fonts
large, raised number buttons on a keypad
a 220 x 176 pixel screen
designated hard-touch buttons for functions
a panic button that calls the first 5 contacts in your phonebook, then sends texts if contacts don't respond
a large screw on the back for removing the cover, you will need a screwdriver to turn it
rubber reinforcing around the phone in case you drop it
a 5 menu interface with one inch icons
3 megapixel camera with LED flash
flashlight

and

a docking station to charge it :dance:

My coworkers and family are still laughing at my new phone, I've had it for a week. Text notification is hilarious...I bet the envelope icon is one inch x one inch at least and takes up the entire main screen. I put an MP3 into a folder on the phone and it actually let me use it as a ringtone! That's about the extent of the 'advanced features'.

http://i40.tinypic.com/256zj4i.jpg

redred
12-13-2013, 06:48 PM
:shock: i think my nan has one like that

Hal-9000
12-13-2013, 07:26 PM
designed for seniors :cheerlead:

just took me 6 minutes to send a text...I had to use 'symbols', which are on another screen

brutal :lol:

Hal-9000
12-13-2013, 07:27 PM
I have Stayin Alive as my ringtone :dance:

Goofy
12-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Awesome :lol:

Hal-9000
12-13-2013, 08:14 PM
it's big in the UK :lol:

Hal-9000
12-13-2013, 08:15 PM
it has this enlarged text setting...

so if I use that with my contacts the name would normally read Bob Smith

and it says

BOB SM

Muddy
12-13-2013, 11:35 PM
wow.

Hal-9000
12-14-2013, 07:19 PM
I should explain :lol:

I have a view on how the world has gone phone-crazy. Yes, I know it must be handy as hell to have the internet at your fingertips but I think we've gone too far. Everywhere I go the phone rules all. People have their heads down constantly looking at a screen and I think that kind of saturation is dangerous. Phones trump all....you're having a face to face with someone, an alert goes off and instantly it's the most important thing in one person's world, no apologies. Someone is doing a consumer transaction, phone goes off, we all get to wait while they answer. It's too much in terms of communication and people treat their phones like a best friend, or a needed biological organ, and that's going too far...

If you can't be near a pc I can completely see having a smartphone to receive emails, do some surfing on the net etc. I have a pc at home and at work, so paying for a net connection at home and a data connection on a phone (for a scaled down net experience), is redundant in my life. So I decided to take a step back....I need a phone...to call people and receive voicemail...and wanted to see if I could get one :lol:

Main reason below why I bought the 'old-phone'...

My plan term was running out, time for a hardware upgrade - I have 50 phones to choose from and am in the store for my provider talking to a young girl:

hal- Hi, I need a new phone, we'll keep the existing plan. I need a phone that does this, but not that. I don't want a touchscreen, I want voice and texting, nothing further...what do you have?
girl - Well we have the new iPhone 5, the Samsung Galaxy 4...and then she lists all of the 'that' things those phones will do.
hal - Maybe I wasn't being clear with my request, I want a phone will good call quality, the ability to send picture texts and no internet functions. No email, no web browser and no data plan.
girl - Well sir all phones come with online functionality, I'm not aware that we sell any 'old phones'.
hal- *looks at her pc* Can we go to your site for a minute please? Ok, go to products...then categories...then Basic Phones. You should have a Samsung 275 flip phone, an LG 341 flip phone and some Doro phones.....*waits*
girl - Oh....I guess we do. But sir these phones are only good for calling they can't do much else!
hal - Getting warmer...
girl - What was that sir??
hal - Mumbling, sorry...ok, how much is the Doro open face non flip phone, the 520X?
girl - Sir, it doesn't have touchscreen, no web browser and you can't download apps!! It's not even a phone!!!
hal - Touchdown
girl - What was that sir?
hal - Let's go with my existing plan, change the hardware and activate the SIM card please.
girl - Sir your plan is only for voice, voice mail and sending texts. We should upgrade it to handle 500MB of data per month at least!
hal - I'm blind and can't use a swipe interface, therefore I need a voice plan only and tactile buttons to dial out.
girl - Sir that's not funny :meh:
hal - At least I have an excuse
girl - Pardon me???!!
hal - You deaf?
girl - I'll complete your activation sir with the Doro 520X
hal - Helen Keller would be proud :)
girl - Pardon meeee???
hal - THANK YOOOOO!

redred
12-14-2013, 07:33 PM

Hal-9000
12-14-2013, 07:37 PM
I make at least one new friend a week :lol:

redred
12-14-2013, 07:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/R8glTTf.jpg

deebakes
12-14-2013, 08:00 PM
i guess i am not quite on the same page as you hal, but i also just have a flip phone that does no internet activities. i could throw the thing against the wall and it would still be perfect. everyone i know looks at me oddly when i use it too. :idk:

i just dont feel the strong need to waste money on a new phone and the data usage nonsense. i got through my college years without instant access to meaningless information, so i should be able to do it now too, right? :lol:

Hal-9000
12-14-2013, 08:17 PM
i guess i am not quite on the same page as you hal, but i also just have a flip phone that does no internet activities. i could throw the thing against the wall and it would still be perfect. everyone i know looks at me oddly when i use it too. :idk:

i just dont feel the strong need to waste money on a new phone and the data usage nonsense. i got through my college years without instant access to meaningless information, so i should be able to do it now too, right? :lol:

The more things this phone didn't do, the more I wanted it :lol:

There is practicability for my life...warehouse work, loud environment, I have to wear glasses to read etc.....so a durable, loud phone and not needing to put on reading glasses is a plus. The phone doesn't drop calls or 'freeze' when booting, so you avoid those technical glitches as well.

and I have this weird confession...I don't like swipe interfaces. Not sure why, I'm a pretty coordinated guy :lol:

but yeah, up here we pay through the ass for internet on pc's and phone data plans so having both is silly (for me)

It's so bloody functional :lol: I get a call, or a text, or a voicemail and I know instantly what has happened or needs to happen with one push of a button

Pony
12-15-2013, 08:47 PM
I only have a "dumb" phone, it does have a full keyboard when you flip it open. I don't want a touchscreen smartphone either. That said.....

I do have a separate Verizon account for my WIFI hotspot (connects up to 10 devices, $50 for 5 gigs/month) that I use for my laptop when at the island and for my 7" tablet for at work and overnight trips etc. when I don't wanna carry my laptop.

I have a hard enough time seeing and typing on a 7" touchscreen tablet, I couldn't imagine trying to deal with typing on a smartphone less than half the size. Perfect example of my touchscreen tablet skills are when you see me post during the week with no caps or punctuation and mistypes everywhere.

Kids today can't believe we can live without a smartphone, I can't believe they can live without a desktop or laptop.

Pony
12-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Shit! Apparently I need a Smartoven though. Just burned dinner while I was typing that ^^

Guess I'm going out for dinner.

Muddy
12-15-2013, 10:09 PM
I have a Galaxy S4 because I have no outside connection at the river.. Plus Im not paying for my kid to have a better phone than me..

Goofy
12-15-2013, 11:01 PM
Plus Im not paying for my kid to have a better phone than me..