PDA

View Full Version : 'Born free' but young still struggle in South Africa

Goofy
12-15-2013, 06:39 PM
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/9710/32zl.jpg (http://img163.imageshack.us/i/32zl.jpg/)

They are known as the "born free" generation - the South Africans who grew up after apartheid officially ended in 1994.

Nelson Mandela, South Africa's first black president, is credited for bringing about an integrated society.

However, young people in the country say there is still a long way to go.

Lehabo Afrika, a 20-year-old writer in Johannesburg. rolls her eyes at the other often used phrase - "rainbow nation".

"I was born a year after apartheid ended but even so I do not like the 'born free' term, there's a lot of pressure surrounding that," she says.

"It's a good term to use as its chirpy," she adds.

"It's all very positive I know, but what does it all mean? As black people we are economically not free.

She adds: "There are some places we still can't go."

Her friend Thapelo Mosiuoa, 21, agrees: "We integrate with white people and others.

"We all hang out, but when we leave, the financial situation is different because the white guy will take his car, as a black guy I'll get the taxi."

They are critical of the current government run by President Jacob Zuma.

The unemployment rate for young, black South Africans is estimated to be around 55 percent.

Lesedi Lee Molefi, 22, is an editor of Live magazine and says Mandela's legacy has yet to be properly fulfilled

"He inspired us for sure but it's like a football game.

"He scored two goals, metaphorically speaking, and we should celebrate but we are a long way from equalising and winning the game."

But in another part of Johannesburg, the feeling amongst some white South Africans is that they are the ones who are losing.

In the move from apartheid to democracy, they say the policy of affirmative action, which sees black people getting priority over white people when it comes to jobs, has left them struggling.

"My parents say it's harder to get a job if you're white and that I should move out of the country," says Josh, 15.

Nathan, also white, says being free isn't a concept reserved for just black South Africans.

"My brother can't get into certain universities because they first take blacks and people of colour.

"I know things were hard for them in the past, but we can't switch it onto white people. We need to work together," he says.

One 26-year-old white South African, who didn't want to be named, believes the country that Mandela created and leaves behind is a "disturbing" one.

"I've been told in corporate interviews, we can't let a white candidate through before a black one.

"It's like reverse apartheid but a generally accepted one."

Thapelo says their attitude is naive.

"White people have had privilege for hundreds of years. We are trying to make up for all the years we didn't have it," he says.

Although Nathan accepts this, he says it's short-sighted.

He adds: "Look, I like black people, but I don't want to be suppressed either. What's the cut off point for us?"

Sadaka
12-15-2013, 07:04 PM
No White male can get a job in RSA. You must be black and or female

Spyker
12-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Or they work for family. I know a guy who has a 4 year diploma and cant get a decent job.

I was turned down point blank by the navy for a position a few years ago. I was told the position must be filled by a black person even tho I was the only person to apply for the job.

That's why i worked for myself. Then I was asked to consult in Saudi Arabia. Money is better and the people here are more racist than white south africans in 1970

Muddy
12-15-2013, 10:30 PM
We like to call that reverse discrimination.