View Full Version : Plants won't grow near Wi-Fi routers, experiment finds

PorkChopSandwiches
12-16-2013, 04:51 PM
It's not difficult to understand the appeal of Wi-Fi. This revolutionary technology, which has been commercially available since 1999, eliminates cabling and wiring for computers, reduces cellular usage charges and allows us to connect to the Internet from anywhere with a signal. Despite these benefits, however, studies continue to show that the radiation generated by wireless routers is negatively affecting our health. In fact, the British activist website Stop Smart Meters recently published a list of 34 scientific studies demonstrating the adverse biological effects of Wi-Fi exposure, including studies linking it to headaches, reduced sperm count and oxidative stress.

The latest research into the dangers of Wi-Fi, though, comes from a surprisingly humble source: Five ninth grade female students from Denmark, whose science experiment revealed that wireless radiation is equally as devastating to plants.

Undeniable results

The experiment began when the five students realized that they had difficulty concentrating in school if they slept near their mobile phones the previous night. Intrigued by this phenomenon, the students endeavored to study the effects of cellphone radiation on humans. Unfortunately, their school prevented them from pursuing this experiment due to a lack of resources, so the students decided to test the effects of Wi-Fi radiation (comparable in strength to cellphone radiation) on a plant instead.

The girls placed six trays of Lepidium sativum seeds (a garden cress grown commercially throughout Europe) in a room without radiation, and an equal amount in a room next to two Wi-Fi routers. Over a 12-day period, they observed, measured, weighed and photographed the results. Even before the 12th day arrived, however, the end results were obvious: The cress seeds placed near the routers either hadn't grown or were completely dead, while the seeds placed in the radiation-free room had blossomed into healthy plants.

The experiment earned the five students top honors in a regional science competition. Moreover, according to a teacher at their school, Kim Horsevad, a professor of neuroscience at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden was so impressed with the experiment that he is interested in repeating it in a controlled scientific environment.

Hal-9000
12-17-2013, 12:09 AM
and people laugh at me for my theory about white noise/electronic signals in our environment causing problems....

ffs if every signal was a blue line, we'd be walking through a complex web daily...at times, not being able to see through the web

it's bad I tell you [-(

deebakes
12-17-2013, 02:26 AM
:tinfoil:

Muddy
12-17-2013, 02:32 AM
Is that your professional opinion?

deebakes
12-17-2013, 02:51 AM
i don't know, i didn't read the story :oops:

Muddy
12-17-2013, 02:52 AM
:unimpressed:

deebakes
12-17-2013, 02:53 AM
:rofl:

Jezter
12-17-2013, 01:26 PM
and people laugh at me for my theory about white noise/electronic signals in our environment causing problems....

ffs if every signal was a blue line, we'd be walking through a complex web daily...at times, not being able to see through the web

it's bad I tell you [-(
Unless we are in the middle of the wilderness, then we'd be blocked by the blue line mesh at all times. There's gazillion signals going every which way all the time all around us.

As for the article...I don't know, my plants to be growing better than ever despite having wi-fi enabled at home...and it is not even that far from where my plants are.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Yeah, we have a fairly large plant not too far from our wireless router and it seems to be doing fine. And I sleep with my phone right next to me on the nightstand and it doesn't bother my sleeping any more than normal.

FBD
12-17-2013, 02:29 PM
I can feel the signal when my phone is in my pocket ffs. I hate having a phone.

Hal-9000
12-17-2013, 06:15 PM
I think electronic signals affect live organisms....and every year the mesh gets heavier..

Spyker
12-17-2013, 06:23 PM
you can charge your phone wirelessly. That scares the crap outta me. 220v pulsing through m balls. Its like gitmo all over again

Hal-9000
12-17-2013, 06:26 PM
we need FBD here.....electronic signals are particles moving through the air....they have 'weight' and purpose....and hundreds if not thousands pulse right through your body daily

Acid Trip
12-17-2013, 06:39 PM
The experiment began when the five students realized that they had difficulty concentrating in school if they slept near their mobile phones the previous night.

Maybe it's because they kept waking up to answer calls and texts.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Maybe it's because they kept waking up to answer calls and texts.

:lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Im going to have my son do this for next years science project and see what we find.

FBD
12-17-2013, 07:45 PM
we need FBD here.....electronic signals are particles moving through the air....they have 'weight' and purpose....and hundreds if not thousands pulse right through your body dailyI've been reading too much quantum mechanics stuff lately to even refer to anything as particles, unless we're talking about the crumbs in my lap as I eat dinner :lol:

and a radio signal isnt made of neutrinos :lol:

Pony
12-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Im going to have my son do this for next years science project and see what we find.

Do it!

Considering the plants in this case were in different rooms and nothing was said about steps taken to ensure they got identical amounts of sunlight, water nutrients, etc.....

Teh One Who Knocks
12-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Do it!

Considering the plants in this case were in different rooms and nothing was said about steps taken to ensure they got identical amounts of sunlight, water nutrients, etc.....

Yeah, without further documentation, it sounds like it was a pretty sloppy experiment.

Pony
12-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Yeah, without further documentation, it sounds like it was a pretty sloppy experiment.

Are you saying an experiment by 5 ninth graders might not be indisputable science?

Teh One Who Knocks
12-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Are you saying an experiment by 5 ninth graders might not be indisputable science?

Maybe :-k

PorkChopSandwiches
12-17-2013, 11:03 PM

:dance:

Muddy
12-17-2013, 11:05 PM
The whole fucking thing has terrified me..

Hal-9000
12-17-2013, 11:12 PM
I've been reading too much quantum mechanics stuff lately to even refer to anything as particles, unless we're talking about the crumbs in my lap as I eat dinner :lol:

and a radio signal isnt made of neutrinos :lol:

thanks for the support.....NOT :x

you know what I'm getting at....the signal is composed of particles that pass through our bodies ...and it's hurting us dammit :lol:

Muddy
12-17-2013, 11:16 PM
Are you sure they are particles?

DemonGeminiX
12-17-2013, 11:21 PM
Electronic signals move through our body naturally. It's called the nervous system. Particles bombard our bodies from all directions and always have. It's why we developed skin.

Hal-9000
12-17-2013, 11:25 PM
Electronic signals move through our body naturally. It's called the nervous system. Particles bombard our bodies from all directions and always have. It's why we developed skin.

bit of a difference between man made electronic signals and what goes on within our body ...

"it's called the nervous system"...condescending dill weed, get off your high chair....er horse :x

DemonGeminiX
12-17-2013, 11:27 PM
bit of a difference between man made electronic signals and what goes on within our body ...

"it's called the nervous system"...condescending dill weed, get off your high chair....er horse :x

Not really much difference, just higher voltages in the man-made stuff and a different medium of transmission is all.

Hal-9000
12-17-2013, 11:27 PM
Are you sure they are particles?

all things in this universe are composed of particles....sound waves, light waves, your ass, doors, earth, gases, rocks, clouds...and ESPECIALLY, those electronic signals from phones, PC's, cars etc :shock:

Hal-9000
12-17-2013, 11:28 PM
Not really much difference, just higher voltages in the man-made stuff and a different medium of transmission is all.

and....

something to do with the actual composition of the wave.....c'mon, you know it

Hal-9000
12-17-2013, 11:29 PM
eg

I trust the synaptic transference of electricity within my brain moreso than a wifi signal because......

DemonGeminiX
12-17-2013, 11:32 PM
all things in this universe are composed of particles....sound waves, light waves, your ass, doors, earth, gases, rocks, clouds...and ESPECIALLY, those electronic signals from phones, PC's, cars etc :shock:

I think we need to tech you basic chemistry and the atomic structure.

Electronic signals are just electrons being directed to move through a medium from one point to another. That's all.

Sure, there are particles flying around all over the place, but for the most part, they've always been there. There's no definitive evidence at this point in time to suggest that the radiation used in wireless signals is harmful to the human body.

But I still don't want Verizon's fucking tower in my backyard.

Muddy
12-17-2013, 11:33 PM
Is my ass really composed of farticles?

Hal-9000
12-17-2013, 11:37 PM
I think we need to tech you basic chemistry and the atomic structure.

Electronic signals are just electrons being directed to move through a medium from one point to another. That's all.

Sure, there are particles flying around all over the place, but for the most part, they've always been there. There's no definitive evidence at this point in time to suggest that the radiation used in wireless signals is harmful to the human body.

But I still don't want Verizon's fucking tower in my backyard.

I think we need to tech you spelling :fu:

Ok Mr I'm smarter than everyone.....science 101. Liquids, gas, solids...all composed of particles that move. Some are packed more densely than others, and move much slower, but particles all the same.

Same with electronic signals...they're not composed of nothing, otherwise they wouldn't exist. The signal in an optical cable for example...the signal is composed of electrons, protons, whatever-trons, point being....it's a real and palatable thing composed of particles.

Further...electricity from a wall socket. Stick your tongue in there and tell me the electricity wave is nothing....

and your last comment agrees with what I'm saying :lol: You get enough of those signals and no matter how harmless you think those signals are....the tower becomes a problem because? :lol:

did I pass?

Hal-9000
12-17-2013, 11:39 PM
From Wiki:

listen to hal and stay away from that shit, he's right!!!

:dance: :cheerlead: :dance:

Hal-9000
12-17-2013, 11:39 PM
Is my ass really composed of farticles?

Large...farticles :thumbsup:

DemonGeminiX
12-17-2013, 11:41 PM
and....

something to do with the actual composition of the wave.....c'mon, you know it

Not really. Electromagnetic radiation that is actually harmful to cells has to do with the radiation's power and frequency.

Hal-9000
12-17-2013, 11:43 PM
ya really :fu:

I'm telling you.....wifi, satellite signals, any electronic wave is not good...and we're becoming immersed in it.

I'll revisit the subject when your third ear grows and we can chat then..

sertes-9000

Muddy
12-17-2013, 11:51 PM
Large...farticles :thumbsup:

:omfg:

Hal-9000
12-17-2013, 11:53 PM
all kidding and kibitzing aside....it is an interesting experiment

"...that he is interested in repeating it in a controlled scientific environment."

I wonder how much traffic the two routers were handling in that room? And would the average human be exposed to more of this type of radiation wave during a normal day? And do the plants react differently to the waves (more adversely) than humans would?

:-k

DemonGeminiX
12-17-2013, 11:56 PM
I think we need to tech you spelling :fu:

Ok Mr I'm smarter than everyone.....science 101. Liquids, gas, solids...all composed of particles that move. Some are packed more densely than others, and move much slower, but particles all the same.

Same with electronic signals...they're not composed of nothing, otherwise they wouldn't exist. The signal in an optical cable for example...the signal is composed of electrons, protons, whatever-trons, point being....it's a real and palatable thing composed of particles.

Further...electricity from a wall socket. Stick your tongue in there and tell me the electricity wave is nothing....

and your last comment agrees with what I'm saying :lol: You get enough of those signals and no matter how harmless you think those signals are....the tower becomes a problem because? :lol:

did I pass?

I swear I hit that damned 'a'.

Everything thing is made up of molecules which is made up of atoms, which is made up of protons, neutrons and electrons. We could go deeper with the protons and neutrons, but it's immaterial to the discussion. Solids have a more densely packed molecular structure, and the harder they are, the more densely packed the structure is. For example, the various forms of carbon. Liquids, gases and plasma are less densely packed than solids. They flow freely where solids do not.

No, electronic signals are just electrons. They're being directed to move through a medium, and yes a very high concentration can fuck you up. No other particles are involved in electronic signals. Electrons technically are weightless compared to protons and neutrons, but they do have a very small amount of mass and they do have a charge. They wouldn't be capable of motion without mass.

And the tower is a problem because it hurts property values and I like the view out my bedroom window of trees and no tower.

No, you do not pass. You made fun of my spelling error before I had a chance to catch it and edit it.

-5461 points to Hal.

[-(

DemonGeminiX
12-18-2013, 12:05 AM
ya really :fu:

I'm telling you.....wifi, satellite signals, any electronic wave is not good...and we're becoming immersed in it.

I'll revisit the subject when your third ear grows and we can chat then..

sertes-9000

Man, you are all about flipping me off today. :lol:

There's no current conclusive evidence that the radiation emitted by wifi, cell phones, etc have any effect on the human body. It may be that there is, it may be that there isn't. At this point we don't know. It doesn't help that both sides flood the argument with disinformation and scare tactics so that we can't wade through all of the horseshit and get to the facts that we're seeking.

But then again, officials change their minds all the time. You know fish oil supplements? How they used to say they're fantastic for you? Now they're saying that they're bad for your prostate. They need to make up their fucking minds.

Hal-9000
12-18-2013, 12:06 AM
to revisit the actual point.....electronic signals are composed of particles, therefore they are not harmless. They have substance.

man made electronic signals are different than the chemical/electrical signals within our bodies firing neurons, relaying synaptic responses..

ergo, we have not been exposed to this new threat long enough to determine if it is harmless or not and you cannot compare our internal biology to a router signal

+4 million for hal

and DGX is a douche *

*see my next Wiki entry

DemonGeminiX
12-18-2013, 12:07 AM
all kidding and kibitzing aside....it is an interesting experiment

"...that he is interested in repeating it in a controlled scientific environment."

I wonder how much traffic the two routers were handling in that room? And would the average human be exposed to more of this type of radiation wave during a normal day? And do the plants react differently to the waves (more adversely) than humans would?

:-k

My computer is right next to my bed and it's connected to my gateway wirelessly. I frequently leave the computer and gateway on when I go to sleep. If I end up getting brain cancer later on in life, remember this exchange.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Scientific fact: if you are exposed to radio waves, your penis will fall off

Hal-9000
12-18-2013, 12:08 AM
From Wiki:

DGX is a douchebag, which makes hal correct regarding all topics

:dance: :cheerlead: :dance:

:tup: Wiki > dgx

Hal-9000
12-18-2013, 12:09 AM
My computer is right next to my bed and it's connected to my gateway wirelessly. I frequently leave the computer and gateway on when I go to sleep. If I end up getting brain cancer later on in life, remember this exchange.

I will because I want that pc!

Hal-9000
12-18-2013, 12:10 AM

again? :confused:

:sad2:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-18-2013, 12:10 AM
Mine fell off after listening to my transistor radio in the early 80's, I hadnt even hit puberty yet :(

DemonGeminiX
12-18-2013, 12:15 AM
to revisit the actual point.....electronic signals are composed of particles, therefore they are not harmless. They have substance.

man made electronic signals are different than the chemical/electrical signals within our bodies firing neurons, relaying synaptic responses..

ergo, we have not been exposed to this new threat long enough to determine if it is harmless or not and you cannot compare our internal biology to a router signal

+4 million for hal

and DGX is a douche *

*see my next Wiki entry

ELECTRONS, DAMMIT!!!

And bite me.

Hal-9000
12-18-2013, 12:19 AM
so what happened to those darn plants within 12 days? :-k

it is puzzling

DemonGeminiX
12-18-2013, 12:26 AM
I just read the article.

Are we to presume that the plants all had equal light and care? The article doesn't specify.

Muddy
12-18-2013, 01:31 AM
I just read the article.

Are we to presume that the plants all had equal light and care? The article doesn't specify.

We are to assume, because the article is just a summary.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-18-2013, 02:28 AM
We are to assume because it was CHILDREN!!!!

Pony
12-18-2013, 11:14 AM

http://i.imgur.com/yXuGdWh.jpg