PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft offers Samsung $1 billion to adopt Windows Phone

Teh One Who Knocks
12-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Richard Goodwin - Know Your Mobile

http://i.imgur.com/d0GVDxU.jpg

In a bid to change the Nokia-dominated Windows Phone landscape, Microsoft has reportedly offered Samsung $1 billion to produce more handsets running Windows Phone.

News of the “initiative” comes via Eldar Murtazin who, once again, took to Twitter to disseminate details of the offer. According to the tweet, Microsoft is offering Samsung $1 billion a year to produce smartphones carrying Windows Phone.

Back in the day Microsoft offered a similar deal to Nokia when they joined forces. As a part of the agreement, Nokia received $250 million every quarter from the Redmond giant as "platform support payments", reports GSMArena.

Nokia devices currently account for around 90% or all Windows Phone shipments. Microsoft is keen to address this issue and is believed to be taking steps to make its mobile OS more attractive to hardware players going forwards.

Last week, reports suggested Microsoft is seriously looking into abolishing license fees for its Windows Phone and Windows RT software, thus making it as cheap as Android for OEMs like Samsung, HTC and LG to use inside their handsets and tablets.

Microsoft has not yet commented on either report in an official capacity. But the company has seen steady growth for its mobile OS throughout 2013, and will be looking to expand its reach considerably in 2014. Getting Samsung’s unwavering support would be one sure way of doing this…

Hal-9000
12-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Recently, I just about picked up a Nokia Lumia running the Windows OS....

went for the old-phone instead :dance:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-16-2013, 08:59 PM
:rofl: Microsoft what has happened to you, you are all fail. Nobody wants your shitty os on a phone, tablet or a pc.

Hal-9000
12-16-2013, 09:07 PM
:rofl: Microsoft what has happened to you, you are all fail. Nobody wants your shitty OS on a phone, tablet or a pc.

you know what's up...they don't own the phone industry because of the Android OS and iPhones...so they're trying to buy friends :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-16-2013, 09:11 PM
Plus they have fucked up so bad with this push of windows 8, and trying to make one OS work on all devices. People are telling them they dont want it, yet they just say fuck you you're taking it. We keep getting PC's with 8 on them and have to downgrade them manually to 7 which is a huge waste of time, but we no longer get the choice to have 7 pre loaded.

Hal-9000
12-16-2013, 09:24 PM
from what I saw it's a bad interface on the phones as well :lol:

buncha colored squares that you can't really augment....I'm an old-phone guy but the Android OS is 1000 times better to look and use...

PorkChopSandwiches
12-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Its clunky and overly difficult for no reason.

Loser
12-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Internet explorer is to Firefox as Windows is to linux :lol:

Steam OS motherfuckers :dance:

Spyker
12-17-2013, 07:32 AM
I got a lumia when they first came out and i'm on my third gen of the OS now. Every person i know that has switched to windows mobile vows never to go back.

I find the Os easier to use than android and the connection between my phone and PC via windows live is seamless.When i get a new phone my contacts and data are uploaded easily.

Windows8 on the other hand is a piece of shit. app screen/homescreen split is shit. closing 'apps'(remember when you called MSpaint an application and everything else a program) is shit and time wasting. swiping around is an abortion.

Fuck windows 8

redred
12-17-2013, 09:45 AM
I like my other halfs lumia and would think about getting one if there were more apps like droids but in time it may catch up

Spyker
12-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Maybe you havent seen the app store? There are thousands

Acid Trip
12-17-2013, 02:22 PM
Internet explorer is to Firefox as Windows is to linux :lol:

Steam OS motherfuckers :dance:

All our thin clients run a stripped down version of Linux. They are perfect for a Citrix environment.