PDA

View Full Version : Girl dies after pharmacist refuses to give EpiPen without prescription

Teh One Who Knocks
12-24-2013, 12:41 PM
News.com.au

http://i.imgur.com/4n9MSMi.jpg

Dublin, Ireland – A teenage girl died on the street after a pharmacy refused to hand over a life-saving adrenaline injection to the girl's mother because she didn't have a prescription.

Emma Sloan, 14, suffered an allergic reaction to peanuts after mistaking satay sauce for curry sauce at a Chinese restaurant in Dublin. She told her mother, Caroline, she was having difficulty breathing.

The family rushed round the corner to the Hamilton Long chemist shop but a male worker told Caroline they couldn’t give her an EpiPen shot - a special allergy injection - without a prescription. The worker advised Sloan to take her daughter to hospital but Emma collapsed on the street outside.

A passing doctor, as well as ambulance staff and firefighters, tried to resuscitate her but it was too late. The teenager died in front of her two sisters, one of them just 2 years old.

Sloan, 40, told the Irish Herald: "My daughter died on a street corner with a crowd around her. I'm so angry I was not given the EpiPen to inject her. I was told to bring Emma to an (emergency) department. Emma was allergic to nuts and was very careful. How could a peanut kill my child?”

Goofy
12-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Rules and regulations, killing us one by one :| What a shame for her family :(

Teh One Who Knocks
12-24-2013, 12:55 PM
No kidding, you would hope there would still be people out there with just a little common sense, but it seems not :|

FFS she wasn't asking for a case of morphine, it was an EpiPen :facepalm:

redred
12-24-2013, 01:02 PM
sad but why didn't she have one with her?

Acid Trip
12-24-2013, 02:03 PM
I would have knocked the pharmacist out, taken the EpiPen, then explained to the police after I saved her life.

Godfather
12-24-2013, 11:47 PM
sad but why didn't she have one with her?

Couldn't agree more. Her parents killed her, the pharmacist contributed and has to live with that too, but the parents are trying to shift blame and guilt. Parents of allergic children I know usually provide them with two EipPen's, let alone none.

DemonGeminiX
12-25-2013, 12:39 AM
EpiPens are ridiculously expensive. I need to carry one around, but I don't. Given that 99.99% of the time, I'm just throwing them away in the first place (and the other .01% can be avoided with careful consideration and inquiry), even with insurance covering the majority of the cost, I can't justify spending the money on them.

Godfather
12-25-2013, 06:19 AM
I didn't realize they were so expensive. That makes sense, but if something bad happened would you try and blame the pharmacy if they didn't break their rules and throw you (and keep in mind we're talking about you as a minor) a free one? Or would you accept blames falls to you first for being cheap, and to them second.