PDA

View Full Version : 'Knockout game' suspect charged with hate crime by Justice department

Teh One Who Knocks
12-27-2013, 11:19 AM
The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/lyEnXS0.jpg

HOUSTON – A white Houston-area man was arrested Thursday on federal hate crimes charges for allegedly shooting video of himself sucker-punching a 79-year-old black man in a "knockout game"-style attack.

Conrad Alvin Barrett, 27, made a brief appearance before U.S. Magistrate Judge Frances Stacy, who scheduled a detention hearing for the Katy man on Friday.

According to prosecutors, the attack happened Nov. 24 in Katy, but it wasn't until 12 days later that authorities connected the attack to the cellphone video of it.

Authorities learned of the case because Barrett allegedly showed the video on the night of the attack to an off-duty arson investigator he had just met at a restaurant in nearby Folshear. According to the criminal complaint, Barrett asked the off-duty investigator and the woman with the investigator if they knew about the knockout game. He told them he played earlier that day, then showed them the video, prosecutors allege.

The investigator then flagged down a uniformed officer across the street and led him to Barrett.

The attack video doesn't show Barrett's face, but investigators matched his voice to the voice in the video and the couple at the restaurant told investigators that Barrett was wearing the same shorts and shoes at the person who shot the video.

According to prosecutors, the video shows Barrett approach the victim and ask, "How's it going, man?" A "loud smack" is then heard, the victim falls to the ground, Barrett laughs and says, "Knockout." The assailant then flees in his vehicle.

The victim lost three teeth and needed surgery to repair his jaw, which had been broken in two places. He was hospitalized for more than four days, authorities said.

Investigators retrieved other videos from Barrett's phone, including some in which he uses racial epithets and talks about trying to work up the courage to play the knockout game, the complaint states. In one, Barrett says: "That plan is to see if I were to hit a black person, would this be nationally televised?"

U.S. Attorney Kenneth Magidson said Thursday that such crimes won't be tolerated.

"Evidence of hate crimes will be vigorously investigated and prosecuted with the assistance of all our partners to the fullest extent of the law," Magidson said.

Barrett's attorney, George Parnham, said Barrett has bipolar disorder and has been prescribed heavy medications to treat it. He said Barrett's family "feels horribly sympathetic" for the person who was attacked.

"When you start peeling back the layers of the onion and look at the mindset behind the action you soon realize there's a mental issue," said Parnham, who added that he's trying to gather as much information about Barrett's mental health as possible.

If convicted of the hate crime charge, Barrett could be sentenced to up to 10 years in prison and fined up to $250,000.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-27-2013, 11:20 AM
In Denver it has all been white people being attacked by blacks...I don't seem to recall anyone here being charged with a hate crime :-k

DemonGeminiX
12-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Yeah, it's a damn shame that Holder can't catch any of those black guys that are on all those videos knocking people out.

:|

Teh One Who Knocks
12-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Makes it even funnier when you consider that about 98% of those videos out there show blacks attacking whites....yet they managed to catch this one white dude to charge him with a hate crime. :|

FBD
12-27-2013, 11:42 AM
Sees headline, thinks "how much you want to make a bet the color of skin is reversed in this case as opposed to just about every single other one..."

:facepalm:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-27-2013, 11:52 AM
I guess the Knockout Game is nothing more than a myth until white kids start doing it. :|

Muddy
12-27-2013, 01:00 PM
This is the whole reason for the hate crime charge...

Investigators retrieved other videos from Barrett's phone, including some in which he uses racial epithets and talks about trying to work up the courage to play the knockout game, the complaint states. In one, Barrett says: "That plan is to see if I were to hit a black person, would this be nationally televised?"

deebakes
12-27-2013, 02:47 PM
:facepalm:

RBP
12-27-2013, 03:19 PM
This is the whole reason for the hate crime charge...

So what? The crime seems motivated by the game not his victims skin color. Besides, as Lance and DGX said, they won't charge the black kids with hate crimes. I've not seen anything that tells me there is equal protection under the law for white victims.

Loser
12-27-2013, 03:26 PM
In the video, he didnt say "black person" ;)

That's why he's being charged.

Muddy
12-27-2013, 03:47 PM
So what? The crime seems motivated by the game not his victims skin color. Besides, as Lance and DGX said, they won't charge the black kids with hate crimes. I've not seen anything that tells me there is equal protection under the law for white victims.

He specifically targeted a black guy and then left the evidence that it was his intention.. Did the blacks that targeted whites leave any written evidence laying around?

deebakes
12-27-2013, 08:13 PM
they don't have phones with video capabilities or computers :idk:

Pony
12-27-2013, 09:06 PM
He specifically targeted a black guy and then left the evidence that it was his intention.. Did the blacks that targeted whites leave any written evidence laying around?

Probably, but it gets left on the editing room floor.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-28-2013, 12:40 AM

No, instead they left video taped evidence of a group of black people attacking a white guy for no reason. Pretty sure any time the reverse is seen, the whites are immediately labeled racist....not like there's a double standard or anything in this country.

perrhaps
12-28-2013, 07:15 PM
You folks sadly don't recognize the difference between a hate crime, i.e., White punks knocking out Afro-Americans, and the sad, yet lamentably-predictable retaliation for the institution of slavery, which is the justification for all actions of Afro-Americans, to which White racists such as youse guys take offense . Here are some examples:

1. Looting Walmarts in Louisiana when the food-stamp card computer crashes.
2. Taking selfies at funerals.
3. Fucking one of them Kardashian bitches.
4. Knocking out random crackers.

Unless and until you take a good hard look at yourself, and make a solemn vow to pay your fair share+ in reparations (a/k/a taxes) for the actions of the minority of Whites of 1840s America, you're doomed to your present unenlightened states.

I pity youse.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-28-2013, 07:20 PM
:racist:

FBD
12-28-2013, 09:15 PM
In one, Barrett says: "That plan is to see if I were to hit a black person, would this be nationally televised?"

="watch how fucking racist the news, attorney general, etc is"

Pony
12-28-2013, 10:04 PM
:racist:

http://poststuffx.entensity.net/122713/What-Does-The-Black-Say.php

RBP
12-28-2013, 11:34 PM

Brutal. :lol: love it. The last line is good.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-28-2013, 11:47 PM

:rofl:

Lambchop
12-29-2013, 12:36 AM
You have to be a coward to hit someone that old.

DemonGeminiX
12-29-2013, 02:31 AM

:rofl:

You have to be a coward to hit someone that old.

Walk up to all the black kids doing it and say that to them.