PDA

View Full Version : Duck Hunter-1 Dick Hunters 0

Muddy
12-28-2013, 06:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/MHFNWN3.jpg

‘Duck Dynasty’: A&E Ends Phil Robertson Suspension; Aims to Turn Controversy into Teachable Moment

A+E Networks has maneuvered its way out of the “Duck Dynasty” controversy surrounding its top-rated show by consulting with the key advocacy groups in a position to raise the loudest ruckus over its response to the inflammatory remarks made by Phil Robertson about homosexuals and African-Americans, among other topics.

A&E said Friday it would lift the suspension against the family patriarch implemented on Dec. 18 after Robertson’s remarks in an interview with GQ made national headlines, exposing the lingering divide in the nation over the acceptance of homosexuality.

In the ensuing days, A+E Networks CEO Nancy Dubuc and other top execs had extensive conversations with the Robertson clan about how to move forward with the show after the decision to suspend Phil Robertson sparked a furor about his right to voice his opinions.

SEE ALSO: ‘Duck Dynasty’ Scramble Leaves A+E With Egg on Its Face

The execs also kept in close contact with reps for GLAAD, the NAACP and other orgs in an effort to find a path to allowing the show to continue. The rest of the family issued a statement in support of Robertson on Dec. 19, suggesting that they would not continue filming without him. But it was notable that none of the family members took to the media to bash A+E for the suspension, despite ample opportunities.

Before A+E announced its reversal on Robertson’s suspension and plans for a PSA campaign aimed at promoting tolerance, GLAAD and NAACP were apprised of the cabler’s decision — ensuring that there would be no immediate backlash from the two prominent advocacy orgs. The Robertson family’s reps at WME were also involved in the discussions, none of which were held face to face because of the holiday timing of the flap.

“After discussions with the Robertson family, as well as consulting with numerous advocacy groups, A&E has decided to resume filming ‘Duck Dynasty’ later this spring with the entire Robertson family,” the network said in a statement.

Robertson was placed on “indefinite hiatus” for saying “start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.”

On Friday, A+E sought to continue to distance itself from those remarks by arguing that the show is not about politics or the cultural issues, but the homespun antics of the Louisiana-based family that made it big selling duck hunting equipment.

“We at A+E Networks expressed our disappointment with his statements in the article,” the statement said, “and reiterate that they are not views we hold. But ‘Duck Dynasty’ is not a show about one man’s views. It resonates with a large audience because it is a show about family… a family that America has come to love. As you might have seen in many episodes, they come together to reflect and pray for unity, tolerance and forgiveness. These are three values that we at A+E Networks also feel strongly about.”

The sheer volume of punditry and commentary unleashed by Robertson’s comments and A+E’s initial response added urgency to the company’s need to find a resolution to the standoff with the family. Numerous conservative critics and orgs cited the suspension as an example of the media’s anti-Christian bias given the religious foundation of Robertson’s expressed beliefs, while GLAAD and other advocacy orgs condemned the sentiment behind his remarks as intolerant and highly insensitive.

And even as A+E sought to find a middle-ground solution to its “Duck Dynasty” dilemma, the divisive social politicking continued Friday night. GLAAD released a statement questioning The cablers motives. And the org Faith Driven Consumers, which fielded an online petition calling for Robertson’s reinstatement, also asserted that A+E’s decision did not go far enough, in their view.

“Phil Robertson should look African American and gay people in the eyes and hear about the hurtful impact of praising Jim Crow laws and comparing gay people to terrorists. If dialogue with Phil is not part of next steps then A+E has chosen profits over African American and gay people – especially its employees and viewers,” GLAAD said.

Faith Driven Consumers questioned whether A+E consulted with any Christian orgs in evaluating its options, and whether the PSA campaign will reflect those who share Robertson’s views on homosexuality.

“Faith Driven Consumers will remain vigilant as we measure whether A&E’s actions reflect true tolerance, diversity, and mutual respect – including their equal embrace of our biblically based values and deeply held beliefs,” the org said.

The PSA campaign amounts to A+E’s attempt to turn the turmoil into a teachable moment, and also provide some cover. The decision to reinstate Robertson to the show may dampen A+E’s standing with some in the creative community, where tolerance and respect for gay rights are considered a given, not a subject for debate.

Details of the PSA campaign, which will run across A&E, History, Lifetime and other A+E outlets, were sparse on Friday. There was no word if any of the “Duck Dynasty” family members would appear in the spots, or if any of the issues would be addressed in the future episodes of the show.

A+E vowed that the campaign would promote “unity, tolerance and acceptance among all people, a message that supports our core values as a company, and the values found in ‘Duck Dynasty.’ “

The uproar over Robertson is likely to give a boost to the upcoming season of “Duck Dynasty,” which unspools Jan. 15 with episodes filmed long before the GQ article hit. Not that the show needs much help in drawing an audience. Viewership soared during the past year to average 13 million for the most recent season. Merchandise sales have also been part of the success story, with Forbes estimating that the show has sold $400 million to date.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-28-2013, 06:53 PM
:lol: great publicity stunt A&E

Muddy
12-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Yeah really.. I agree with Phils rights to make his statements but one thing Im afraid that will come out of this is the religious people acting like its a free for all against gays in the name of religion.. The comments already show it..

PorkChopSandwiches
12-28-2013, 07:00 PM
I think it will have 0 effect long term. It's all about publicity. They act like they fire Phil then run marathons of the show all through the holidays.

KevinD
12-29-2013, 03:47 AM
I've never watched the show. Haven't seen anything that would compel me to lately either.

Muddy
12-29-2013, 03:52 AM
Its just a goofy reality tv show Kevin.. People take shit way too far and way too serious..

Griffin
12-29-2013, 03:53 AM
I despise reality TV and will not watch it because it is anything but real portrayed by unskilled people.
With that being said these people stating their opinion is what reality TV is supposed to be about.

KevinD
12-29-2013, 04:03 AM
Mud, yeah, I'm not big on reality shows. I like Pawn stars, and american pickers, but that's about it.

DemonGeminiX
12-29-2013, 04:32 AM
Reality TV sucks, we have freedom of speech in this country, A&E knew what they were getting into when they picked up the series to begin with, and GLAAD and other outspoken douchebags need to shut the fuck up and accept that which they cannot change, namely what people believe.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-29-2013, 04:07 PM
I watch this show sometimes, the kids like it. As far as reality tv in general I don't really watch it. Unless you count the stuff on food network. But, I classify that as more learning tv.

Muddy
12-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Phils prolly just doing the show because his goofy 'wanna be star' son begged him.. Not Jase.. The other one.. Willie..

PorkChopSandwiches
12-29-2013, 04:39 PM
The guy is a marketing master, and has turned a cheap duck call company into a multimillion dollar company

Muddy
12-29-2013, 05:39 PM
You speak of Phil?

PorkChopSandwiches
12-29-2013, 05:52 PM
No, his son Willie

Muddy
12-29-2013, 06:17 PM
No, his son Willie

Yesh he just doesnt do much for me.. Doesnt seem as genuine as pops..

Hal-9000
12-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Its just a goofy reality tv show Kevin.. People take shit way too far and way too serious..

His comments were serious....he likened gay people as a stepping stone to commit bestiality and that being gay also makes a person fuck everything that moves without any thought to monogamy.

He's a star on TV and made the quotes in a high profile publication...it was hurtful and inaccurate labeling part of a population that way. His opinion yes, but sometimes TV personalities and sports stars have to keep that shit reined in.

Muddy
12-29-2013, 08:30 PM
His comments were serious....he likened gay people as a stepping stone to commit bestiality and that being gay also makes a person fuck everything that moves without any thought to monogamy.

He's a star on TV and made the quotes in a high profile publication...it was hurtful and inaccurate labeling part of a population that way. His opinion yes, but sometimes TV personalities and sports stars have to keep that shit reined in.

No, he didnt liken homosexuality to bestiality.. He was asked what he considered sins.. Did you read the interview or did you base your opinion on what the liberal media has spun his comments into?

Hal-9000
12-29-2013, 08:33 PM
No, he didnt liken homosexuality to bestiality.. He was asked what he considered sins.. Did you read the interview or did you base your opinion on what the liberal media has spun his comments into?

I read what was posted here in the threads...I'll go have a look again

Hal-9000
12-29-2013, 08:35 PM
so he didn't say this? ...from the article at the top of this thread:

“start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.”

sounds like he considers being ghey as a stepping stone to me......:lol:

Muddy
12-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Im searching for the entire transcript.. He was asked a specific question and reading just the answer to it midway through the interview totally blows it out of context..

Muddy
12-29-2013, 08:51 PM
Ok, i found it Gq shows it for free.. Its 3 long pages.. Heres the excerpt you speak of..

“We’re Bible-thumpers who just happened to end up on television,” he tells me. “You put in your article that the Robertson family really believes strongly that if the human race loved each other and they loved God, we would just be better off. We ought to just be repentant, turn to God, and let’s get on with it, and everything will turn around.”

What does repentance entail? Well, in Robertson’s worldview, America was a country founded upon Christian values (Thou shalt not kill, etc.), and he believes that the gradual removal of Christian symbolism from public spaces has diluted those founding principles. (He and Si take turns going on about why the Ten Commandments ought to be displayed outside courthouses.) He sees the popularity of Duck Dynasty as a small corrective to all that we have lost.

“Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong,” he says. “Sin becomes fine.”

What, in your mind, is sinful?

“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

Read More http://www.gq.com/entertainment/television/201401/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson#ixzz2otoN11ua

Hal-9000
12-29-2013, 08:51 PM
doesn't matter much to me..no offense Muddy but I think his comments were bigoted and hateful....in whatever context

this whole situation isn't about freedom of speech...it's about tact when a person gets a bit of limelight

I have a whole lotta opinions about folks here but you will never hear them, out of respect for the people themselves. He doesn't have that built in tact-meter and doesn't mind belittling a percentage of the world's population...based on his beliefs.

Hal-9000
12-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Ok, i found it Gq shows it for free.. Its 3 long pages.. Heres the excerpt you speak of..

“We’re Bible-thumpers who just happened to end up on television,” he tells me. “You put in your article that the Robertson family really believes strongly that if the human race loved each other and they loved God, we would just be better off. We ought to just be repentant, turn to God, and let’s get on with it, and everything will turn around.”

What does repentance entail? Well, in Robertson’s worldview, America was a country founded upon Christian values (Thou shalt not kill, etc.), and he believes that the gradual removal of Christian symbolism from public spaces has diluted those founding principles. (He and Si take turns going on about why the Ten Commandments ought to be displayed outside courthouses.) He sees the popularity of Duck Dynasty as a small corrective to all that we have lost.

“Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong,” he says. “Sin becomes fine.”

What, in your mind, is sinful?

“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

Read More http://www.gq.com/entertainment/television/201401/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson#ixzz2otoN11ua

It is better in that context...he's still lumping gay people in with adulterers and murderers though, not cool :lol:

...paraphrases Corinthians....yeah, just a lil bit...

Muddy
12-29-2013, 08:55 PM
doesn't matter much to me..no offense Muddy but I think his comments were bigoted and hateful....in whatever context

this whole situation isn't about freedom of speech...it's about tact when a person gets a bit of limelight

I have a whole lotta opinions about folks here but you will never hear them, out of respect for the people themselves. He doesn't have that built in tact-meter and doesn't mind belittling a percentage of the world's population...based on his beliefs.

He didnt come to a soapbox and start preaching.. They came to him, in the swamp, and asked his opinions..

Muddy
12-29-2013, 08:58 PM
But listen.. As a straight male.. I think male homosexuality is pretty fucking disgusting myself.. Nothing to do with religion either.. :lol:

I will never consider men sucking other mens dicks as normal and something to celebrate...

However, Do i respect someones right to do what consenting people want to do? Sure.. Is it nasty? To me, yes.

Hal-9000
12-29-2013, 08:58 PM
He didnt come to a soapbox and start preaching.. They came to him, in the swam, and asked his opinions..

Sure, I understand that. It would be like me getting a weekly TV show, some fast stardom and then TMZ interviewing me and asking some questions. I wouldn't answer a question that way personally, being a Christian...him and I have two different views on people is all..

Hal-9000
12-29-2013, 08:59 PM
But listen.. As a straight male.. I think male homosexuality is pretty fucking disgusting myself.. Nothing to do with religion either.. :lol:

Hey I gotta shield my eyes when two guys are kissing on TV, I get it :lol:

It's not my thing, but it is other people's thing....not disgusting, just different......................

Muddy
12-29-2013, 09:05 PM
..not disgusting, just different......................

Ok fine, Two men sucking each other off is repulsive then.. :lol:

Hal-9000
12-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Ok fine, Two men sucking each other off is repulsive then.. :lol:

to you yes (and it ain't my thing either...fo sure) :lol:

but the whole point is others consider that perfectly natural/normal and insulting them like they're committing a crime is not right...to them it's everything...love/sexual attraction/commitment to another.

I think that the guy realizes that a million or so people would probably read it and while it's admirable to thrown down your personal beliefs, sometimes that part of you doesn't need to see the public eye..

Griffin
12-29-2013, 09:23 PM
hey, the more rope suckers and fudge packers that are out there the more women in the possibility pool. :giggity:

Hal-9000
12-29-2013, 09:34 PM
I pretend that I'm ghey so I can help women get dressed :naughty: ........I think Auntie Beryl is catching on tho..

:oops: