PDA

View Full Version : Beyonce Criticized for Sampling Audio From Challenger Disaster on New Album

Teh One Who Knocks
12-30-2013, 07:27 PM
By Allison Takeda - Us Weekly

http://i.imgur.com/TZc9N0h.jpg

Beyonce's surprise visual album is a hit with critics and fans alike -- but one song is stirring up controversy among an unlikely group. "XO," about a troubled relationship, has been criticized as "insensitive" by some current and former NASA employees, who are unhappy with the superstar's use of audio from the Challenger disaster of 1986.

The brief sample can be heard at the beginning of the video for the song, written and produced by Ryan Tedder and Terius "The Dream" Nash. It features the voice of retired NASA public affairs officer Steve Nesbitt on Jan. 28, 1986, the day the space shuttle Challenger exploded after liftoff from the Kennedy Space Center, killing all seven crew members aboard.

"Flight controllers here looking very carefully at the situation," Nesbitt said at the time. "Obviously a major malfunction."

June Scobee Rodgers, the widow of Challenger Commander Dick Scobee, told ABC News she was "disappointed" in the use of the clip, as it brought back memories of that fateful day.

"The moment included in this song is an emotionally difficult one for the Challenger families, colleagues, and friends," she said. "We have always chosen to focus not on how our loved ones were lost but rather on how they lived and how their legacy lives on today."

"For the words to be used in the video is simply insensitive, at the very least," retired astronaut Clayton Anderson told ABC.

Beyonce, for her part, said Monday that she meant to honor, not offend those affected by the tragedy. "My heart goes out to the families of those lost in the Challenger disaster," she shared in a statement to Us Weekly. "The song 'XO' was recorded with the sincerest intention to help heal those who have lost loved ones and to remind us that unexpected things happen, so love and appreciate every minute that you have with those who mean the most to you."

She added: "The songwriters included the audio in tribute to the unselfish work of the Challenger crew with hope that they will never be forgotten."

Hal-9000
12-30-2013, 07:50 PM
troubled relationship

disaster that killed 7 people

not comparable.....sorry B

DemonGeminiX
12-30-2013, 11:13 PM
What a fuckin' moron. And kids are looking up to this idiot.

Muddy
12-31-2013, 12:52 AM
This chick irritates me.. And yes I'm sure she could care less.. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-31-2013, 04:54 PM
This chick irritates me.. And yes I'm sure she could care less.. :lol:

I can't stand her and I think she is completely overrated. And that "dancing" she does that everyone thinks is so fantastic looks more like an epileptic seizure to me. :thumbsdown:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-31-2013, 05:25 PM
Classy

PorkChopSandwiches
12-31-2013, 05:25 PM
Of course the reality is she probably had no idea since she has nothing to do with the production

DemonGeminiX
12-31-2013, 09:08 PM
Of course the reality is she probably had no idea since she has nothing to do with the production

Hey! Knock that off! We want to hate on this ho.

:x

PorkChopSandwiches
12-31-2013, 09:38 PM
:rofl: I'm a hater too.....just sayin

Teh One Who Knocks
01-01-2014, 12:05 AM
By CHRIS TALBOTT - The Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — NASA officials say the 1986 Space Shuttle Challenger accident "should never be trivialized" in response to a new song from Beyonce that features an audio sample recorded just after tragedy struck.

The space agency issued a statement late Tuesday after the pop star began to receive criticism from Challenger families and others for using the short sample. It includes the words "major malfunction" as an allusion to a failed relationship.

In a statement to ABC News on Tuesday, Beyonce said her "heart goes out to families of those lost in the Challenger disaster" and the song was recorded with the "sincerest intention" to help those who've lost loved ones.

The snippet comes at the beginning of her song "XO" from her new self-titled album.

DemonGeminiX
01-01-2014, 12:58 AM
NASA should aim their next decommissioned satellite's reentry at her and Jay-Z's mansion when they're gonna be home.