PDA

View Full Version : NSA diverted computers and laptops from shipping facilities to install spyware

Teh One Who Knocks
12-31-2013, 12:32 PM
By Scott Kaufman - The Raw Story

http://i.imgur.com/iKe6fKN.jpg

Der Spiegel reported on Sunday that the NSA’s “Tailored Access Operations” (TAO) has been diverting desktops and laptops shipped to U.S. consumers and installing spyware on them.

According to the report, the process, which TAO calls “interdiction,” involves intercepting packages on their way from manufacturers like Dell, Cisco, and Seagate, and installing bugs or spyware on them at a “secret workshop.”

The packages are then reintroduced into the delivery pipeline and arrive at their destination without the consumer ever realizing their machine has been compromised.

When contacted by Der Spiegel, Cisco senior vice president John Stewart said that his company is “deeply concerned with anything that may impact the integrity of our products or our customers’ networks,” and that Cisco does “not work with any government to weaken our products for exploitation.”

Unlike most NSA operations, which rely on remote access to targeted computers and networks, the TAO’s programs offer unprecedented physical access.

DemonGeminiX
12-31-2013, 12:41 PM
Has anyone identified the spyware? Files, locations, etc?

Acid Trip
12-31-2013, 03:29 PM
Has anyone identified the spyware? Files, locations, etc?

The article is a little misleading. They aren't installing spyware, they are doing things like changing the the hard drive firmware with their own version. You don't know its there and its impossible to remove without getting a new drive. How about a modified network card that lets them inject data directly into the network?

This is a long video and about the 30 minute mark gets REALLY scary. Well worth the time to watch.

Edit: He's got a special surprise for iPhone users about 40 minutes in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0w36GAyZIA

PorkChopSandwiches
12-31-2013, 03:46 PM
:tinfoil:

Hal-9000
12-31-2013, 03:59 PM
The article is a little misleading. They aren't installing spyware, they are doing things like changing the the hard drive firmware with their own version. You don't know its there and its impossible to remove without getting a new drive. How about a modified network card that lets them inject data directly into the network?

This is a long video and about the 30 minute mark gets REALLY scary. Well worth the time to watch.

Edit: He's got a special surprise for iPhone users about 40 minutes in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0w36GAyZIA

thanks, that was my question.....files or firmware and can you detect it..

Hal-9000
12-31-2013, 03:59 PM
:tinfoil:

secret location = Porky's place of 'work'

FBD
01-01-2014, 03:09 PM
gotta go after firmware since people that are concerned with security dont use MS or apple's fuggin hacked ass crap that the NSA has they keys to the front door to.

deebakes
01-01-2014, 03:12 PM
i think i need to get off the internet :shock:

DemonGeminiX
01-01-2014, 03:31 PM
I'm pretty sure you can download firmware updates for hard drives.

:-k

Lambchop
01-01-2014, 04:08 PM
That's messed up. Any interference is unwarranted.

Hugh_Janus
01-01-2014, 04:18 PM
:watching:

Godfather
01-02-2014, 12:08 AM
Damn that's messed up.

Remember G-man? I think he once worked for the NSA. Let's get him back here to answer some questions :x

deebakes
01-02-2014, 12:28 AM
he's probably the one that crashed tehbasement :shock:

Hugh_Janus
01-02-2014, 12:46 AM
Damn that's messed up.

Remember G-man? I think he once worked for the NSA. Let's get him back here to answer some questions :x

ahhh.... the post whoring days.... :reminisces:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-02-2014, 12:59 AM
Godfather was GMan I thought