PDA

View Full Version : Work IE Searches showing up on home Tablet in Chrome

Godfather
01-07-2014, 07:35 AM
Okay this is seriously fucked.

I was searching something on google on my tablet I use strictly for personal use (Nexus 7) in Chrome. I typed in a few letters and noticed a familiar Google search suggestion.... from something I googled at work a few days ago. After dicking around a bit more, I realized my tablet's suggested google searches are somehow synced with my work computer.

To be clear, my work computer is company-owned. It does not come home with me, I do not install programs on it, or visit social media sites. I perhaps logged into my home Gmail once a few months ago but I'm fairly sure I've changed my password since then so it is long-since logged out. Either way I just changed it again tonight and won't log-in at work again. I've never noticed any personal searches I've made show up when I'm at work, so I have to guess they're not going in that direction but who konws. It's a very security conscious company, and I'm told we have many tiers of security through head office.

On the other end of things, I've never once done anything to connect my tablet to work in any way I can fathom. I don't have Facebook or Twitter on it even, it's basically a web-surfing device only.

How in the hell is this possible? What steps do I need to take beyond changing my Gmail password, and what should I be worried about?

Thanks in advance,
GF

redred
01-07-2014, 07:56 AM
it's the gmail , i have the same thing with searches that show up on my phone that i've looked for on the laptop i use chrome on both

DemonGeminiX
01-07-2014, 08:58 AM
Create a second gmail account for home (make it as anonymous as possible) and use that for all the fucked up searches you do at home that you don't want the company to find out about. Just don't log into it while you're at work.

Just out of curiosity, did your company make you give them your social media usernames and passwords?

:-k

DemonGeminiX
01-07-2014, 08:59 AM
You might want to check out the settings on the Nexus and see if there's an auto sync function or something of that nature.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=nexus+7+auto+sync&oq=Nexus+7+auto+s&gs_l=hp.1.1.0l10.2961.21585.0.24940.14.13.0.1.1.0. 131.1387.2j11.13.0....0...1c.1.32.hp..0.14.1396.6H 40OODgePo

Loser
01-07-2014, 03:29 PM
incognito mode. Never log into your browser, if using chrome.

You can actually pull up passwords in plain text from the chrome browser. It's not very secure.

Acid Trip
01-07-2014, 04:53 PM

You can actually pull up passwords in plain text from the chrome browser. It's not very secure.

Yup, chrome is fucking terrible like that. I call it the world's best self updating internet browsing virus ever created.

Muddy
01-07-2014, 04:56 PM

Exactly.. I never log in to Google or Chrome.. It only helps them log a feed of what I'm doing.. And tbh, I have been using Yahoo for a search engine lately because I am just getting sick of Googles attempted infiltration into every facet of my life..

PorkChopSandwiches
01-07-2014, 05:30 PM
I like it, no matter where I log into chrome I have all my shortcuts too, just dont log in at work

Noilly Pratt
01-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Did you ever log into Google+ at all at work? I imagine you have done at home. As soon as you do that it seems to latch onto stuff and remember.

Kind of reminds me of a helpful puppy that's growing into this big humungus dog and doesn't know his own strength. Time to look carefully at G+, Gmail AND YouTube security settings...found that YouTube is getting bad that way, too.

Goofy
01-07-2014, 05:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/rwpJ4uz.gif

DemonGeminiX
01-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Did you ever log into Google+ at all at work? I imagine you have done at home. As soon as you do that it seems to latch onto stuff and remember.

Kind of reminds me of a helpful puppy that's growing into this big humungus dog and doesn't know his own strength. Time to look carefully at G+, Gmail AND YouTube security settings...found that YouTube is getting bad that way, too.

Google owns Youtube.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Firefox > IE > Chrome

Godfather
01-08-2014, 03:02 AM
Thanks for all the advice! I think I figured it out, some strange setting in Gmail that did it on all devices. :roll: Very stupid feature.

Godfather
01-08-2014, 03:03 AM
Firefox > IE > Chrome

I agree... I use Firefox at home. We have to use IE at work because our system is optimized for it. I only use Chrome on my tablet, and even that it's just because it seemed to be better than the Firefox app.

Loser
01-08-2014, 03:20 AM
chrome://settings/passwords

On un-updated versions of chrome, you can see stored passwords, unencrypted, in plain text.

Therfor, unsecure.

But net wise? It's more secure then firefox because it's sandboxed.

Just don't log into your browser, and NEVER save passwords.