PDA

View Full Version : Canada defeats U.S. with Nash’s and Eberle’s shootout goals

Jezter
05-06-2011, 05:25 PM
KOSICE – Jordan Eberle and Rick Nash both scored for Canada in the shootout, as Canada won 2-0 in shots and won the game 4-3 against the USA in Qualification Round play in Kosice at the 2011 IIHF World Championship.

Canada vs. USA 4-3 (0-0, 1-2, 2-1, 0-0, 1-0)

Canada and the USA battled through sixty minutes of regulation time, then another five of overtime before Eberle and Nash settled the issue in the shootout. Jack Johnson and Blake Wheeler each missed on the U.S. shots.

It was one of those games that unfolded like a good play – with the best stuff coming at the end, but being set up nicely in the preceding acts.

The USA was leading 2-1 early in the third period before Canada tied the score at 3:27 in dramatic fashion. Just as a boarding penalty to the USA’s Chris Porter was coming to an end, Canada’s Marc-André Gragnani shovelled the puck from the left side to John Tavares, lurking in front. Tavares batted the puck towards the goal from right in front and U.S. goalie Ty Conklin got a piece of it. As it bounced near the net, amidst a maze of sticks and skates, Tavares swatted at it and knocked it in to tie the game at 2-2.

One minute and fifty-five seconds later, during a Canadian four on three man advantage, veteran Jason Spezza moved towards the right face off circle, as he took a pass from Tavares, and hammered the puck past Conklin to give Canada a 3-2 lead.

Next it was Canada’s turn to suffer the consequences of a penalty. Canadian Cal Clutterbuck went off for slashing at 10:43 of the third period and, 34-seconds later, Blake Wheeler found Derek Stepan in front of Canadian goalie James Reimer. Goal. Tie game, again.

The USA opened the scoring at 4:13 of the second period. Mike Komisarek fired a weak shot from the right point that just floated its’ way in and dropped down and past Reimer.

Canada tied the score at 1-1 at 7:20 of the second period. Just as a power play was ending, Brent Burns charged towards the slot from the left point and lunged towards the a pass from Alex Pietrangelo, who was parked deep on the right side. Burns made contact as he was going down and fired the puck into the right corner behind Conklin.

The nicest goal of the period came at 13:47 when the USA took a 2-1 lead. It was all about timing – good for the USA, not so much for Canada. Canada’s Chris Stewart turned the puck over to Wheeler right by the US blue line just as the USA’s Jack Johnson was stepping out of the penalty box. Wheeler zipped the puck up to the wide-open Johnson, who moved in on Reimer, cut across in front of him, went to the backhand and steered the puck through his legs.

The sell-out crowd at Kosice’s Steel Arena got exactly the start you’d expect from a Canada / USA match up – fast-paced, a couple of punishing hits and good scoring chances.

Canada’s Marc Methot set the pace 54-seconds into the game when he crushed USA defenceman Kevin Shattenkirk along the glass in the right wing corner in the Canadian zone. Shattenkirk was on the ice for a few moments but got up and skated off under his own power. The hit was reciprocated 18-second later when the USA’s Komisarek nailed Burns, taking a roughing penalty in the process.

As it turned out, the drama was just starting.

The win moves Canada into sole possession of first place in Group F with seven points (one wins, two OT win). The USA has four points (one win, one OT loss and one loss).

Canada and the USA haven’t played at the World Championship since 2008, when Canada defeated the Americans 5-4. Canada has now won the last 6 meetings between the two nations at the WM, the last USA win was in 2001 (4-3 in OT). In the last 20 years, Canada has dominated with 13 wins and only one loss.

Muddy
05-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Is this Soccer?

Jezter
05-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Dude... :lol: How about you read the first sentence first. :D

Muddy
05-06-2011, 05:47 PM
What the hell is IIHF?

Jezter
05-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Oh good lord... IIHF = International Ice-Hockey Federation.

Muddy
05-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Oh.. cool.. :)

samarchepas
05-06-2011, 06:14 PM
http://en.lmgtfy.com/?q=iihf :lol:

Hal-9000
05-06-2011, 06:41 PM
We are truly magnificent :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Shootouts :roll:

Hal-9000
05-06-2011, 10:01 PM
dammit I hate shootouts

love winning tho :dance:

deebakes
05-06-2011, 10:03 PM
it's not winning if you beat the U.S. :roll:

Hal-9000
05-06-2011, 10:08 PM
it's not winning if you beat the U.S. :roll:

huh?

Is it winning if I beat Charlie Sheen??? :rolleyes:

*punches Charlie in the nutz*

deebakes
05-06-2011, 10:10 PM
you'd not be able to post if you hit charlie sheen... you'd die instantly from the cornucopia of STD's that dudes carrying...

AntZ
05-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Sounds like the fix was in again! first the Olympics, now this! :roll:

deebakes
05-06-2011, 10:14 PM
canadians aren't smart enough to fix anything :mrgreen:

Hal-9000
05-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Can I fix you both a cup of hot cocoa with a nice sprinkling of kick you in the nutz on top? :)

deebakes
05-06-2011, 10:18 PM
you canadians are always so friendly... i'll take the cocoa but you can hold the nutz. i know you want to :tup:

Hal-9000
05-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Yeah we are friendly...I'll be sure to say sorry, right after I boot your testes so hard, the next time you cum white stuff will shoot out of your nose :thumbsup:

deebakes
05-06-2011, 10:24 PM
that will surely surprise the ol' lady :tup: she'll never be expecting it :twisted:

Hal-9000
05-06-2011, 10:28 PM
aww damn hun you sneezed on me! .......wait...that's cum! :shock:

Dee - sorry babe, got some in your eye (s) :lol:

deebakes
05-06-2011, 10:29 PM
:dance: :cheerlead:

Hal-9000
05-06-2011, 10:31 PM
this thread has made it full circle

from shootout to shootout :thumbsup:

you should show up more often Dee :lol:

deebakes
05-06-2011, 10:54 PM
:woot:

DemonGeminiX
05-07-2011, 02:46 PM
canadians aren't smart enough to fix anything :mrgreen:

You said it, man. If an entire country gets bacon wrong...

:dance:

Godfather
05-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Too bad nobody ever cares about this tournament because it's always on when the NHL Playoffs are....

World Juniors are great but this is just the guys who's team didn't make the NHL trying to keep busy over the summer :lol:

DemonGeminiX
05-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Too bad nobody ever cares about this tournament because it's always on when the NHL Playoffs are....

World Juniors are great but this is just the guys who's team didn't make the NHL trying to keep busy over the summer :lol:

Honestly, if this thread hadn't been posted, I would've never known it was going on. There is absolutely no coverage whatsoever where I'm at.

Jezter
05-07-2011, 09:17 PM

Honestly, if this thread hadn't been posted, I would've never known it was going on. There is absolutely no coverage whatsoever where I'm at.
You two make me sad.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-07-2011, 11:23 PM
You two make me sad.

You know what makes me sad? Deciding the winner of a great game with the equivalent of rock, paper, scissors.

Godfather
05-08-2011, 12:29 AM
You two make me sad.

Why? I'm a huge hockey fan... but this tournament means diddly squat. It's not even the best teams any country can put forward, it's just leftovers. The Stanley Cup is what we Canadians dream of at night through our entire youth. Anything else this time of year is totally trivial

DemonGeminiX
05-08-2011, 12:51 AM
You two make me sad.

Don't blame me, Jez. Blame the cats that decide what sports I'm going to actually be able to watch on TV.

deebakes
05-08-2011, 01:15 AM
i also had no idea that this "tournament" was in progress :lol:

Make that all of north america i guess :razz:

Jezter
05-08-2011, 09:12 AM
You know what makes me sad? Deciding the winner of a great game with the equivalent of rock, paper, scissors.
Shootouts suck, I agree.

Why? I'm a huge hockey fan... but this tournament means diddly squat. It's not even the best teams any country can put forward, it's just leftovers. The Stanley Cup is what we Canadians dream of at night through our entire youth. Anything else this time of year is totally trivial
You say you are a huge hockey fan, yet you don't appreciate World Championships? Dude...do you realize there is a world out there and not just Canada? It is very very ignorant to say it means diddly squat. It is also wrong to say the teams are just leftovers. Look at the rosters first and then come say they are leftovers. Like team Russia. They have their NHL superstars there and. Are they leftovers too? Would your NHL teams be so good if you did not have players from all around the world? The best players from each country? Hockey is universal and not just Canada. Maybe to you it doesn't means shit cuz you don't see the hockey playing world cuz it is all nhl nhl nhl to you.

AntZ
05-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Would your NHL teams be so good if you did not have players from all around the world? The best players from each country? Hockey is universal and not just Canada. Maybe to you it doesn't means shit cuz you don't see the hockey playing world cuz it is all nhl nhl nhl to you.

Yeah! They would, because that's the history of the NHL up until the late 70's. Sure, there were a few in the old days, but it was virtually all Canadian and American players until the late 80's when the flood of Eastern European players came after the fall of the iron curtain. Some have argued that hockey was more rugged, manly, and better in the old days.

Jezter
05-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Yeah! They would, because that's the history of the NHL up until the late 70's. Sure, there were a few in the old days, but it was virtually all Canadian and American players until the late 80's when the flood of Eastern European players came after the fall of the iron curtain. Some have argued that hockey was more rugged, manly, and better in the old days.

That was 20 years ago..hockey has evolved greatly from those times. Hasn't it?
Some might argue against it. Some might appreciate the more brutal hockey, some appreciate the skilled hockey (Like I do and cuz European rinks are bigger, it leaves more space for skill). It is in the eye of the beholder.

deebakes
05-08-2011, 06:03 PM
i just saw some highlights from yesterdays action at this thing, there were about 20 people in the stands watching...

Godfather
05-08-2011, 06:17 PM
You say you are a huge hockey fan, yet you don't appreciate World Championships? Dude...do you realize there is a world out there and not just Canada? It is very very ignorant to say it means diddly squat. It is also wrong to say the teams are just leftovers. Look at the rosters first and then come say they are leftovers. Like team Russia. They have their NHL superstars there and. Are they leftovers too? Would your NHL teams be so good if you did not have players from all around the world? The best players from each country? Hockey is universal and not just Canada. Maybe to you it doesn't means shit cuz you don't see the hockey playing world cuz it is all nhl nhl nhl to you.

It clearly means more to Europeans, that's fine. I guess the Stanley Cup is something so important it's like explaining color to a blind man. Maybe that's why European captains almost never lead their teams to Cups!!?!? It's not about it being local. We spent our summers as kids building cardboard Stanley's and then playing street hockey for 8 hours to fight over it until it was too dark to see the ball. Every Day.

I love the Olympics, the World Juniors, WHL (had seasons ticks), CHL, AHL, NCAA, CIS, Elitserien.... To accuse me of not appreciating hockey is ridiculous. Clearly you don't know me :lol: I first learned to read watching the sports tickers.

So believe me when I say this tournament is rendered insignificant because it has the misfortune of being scheduled when the greatest month of sports for me are on all the time. The teams put on the ice by Canada and the US don't represent the entire country because our best players are otherwise occupied with trying to win the most recognizable trophy on Earth. If Finland beat Canada I wouldn't blink. Look at the players on Team Canada in the Olympics who aren't playing in this IIHF tournament because they have better things to be doing. John Tavares is leading Canada in points.... And the players who are there from Canada and the US know nobody cares. It's just the guys who don't feel like golfing yet. The caliber of hockey proves that. Sure, I'll miss the Sharks vs Wings to see Canada play Norway :roll: I was more excited when the Canucks won game 7 in OT against the Blackhawks, than when Canada won gold at the Olympics.

There are 2-4 NHL games on every night, and myself and almost all of Canada doesn't care about this IIHF nonsense, intentionally trying to draw crowds from the NHL.

Hal-9000
05-08-2011, 06:38 PM
That was 20 years ago..hockey has evolved greatly from those times. Hasn't it?
Some might argue against it. Some might appreciate the more brutal hockey, some appreciate the skilled hockey (Like I do and cuz European rinks are bigger, it leaves more space for skill). It is in the eye of the beholder.

I was brought up in the violent era, fights were expected and the norm in every game.I don't care for goon hockey personally, I would rather see skill.I was a big Wayne Gretzky fan from the year he started playing and let me tell you,
that was pretty tough in itself at the time :lol: Everyone considered him a pansy and protected...which he was to some degree.But those same critics failed to realize that all scorers on teams had goons that would fight anyone who took a cheap shot at their stars.To me hockey isn't about loading up lines with guys who can punch and barely handle a puck in front in the net, it's about finesse and setting up 3 way passes to beat the goalie.

Big checkers yes, goons that fight...no.

Godfather
05-08-2011, 06:43 PM
I was brought up in the violent era, fights were expected and the norm in every game.I don't care for goon hockey personally, I would rather see skill.I was a big Wayne Gretzky fan from the year he started playing and let me tell you,
that was pretty tough in itself at the time :lol: Everyone considered him a pansy and protected...which he was to some degree.But those same critics failed to realize that all scorers on teams had goons that would fight anyone who took a cheap shot at their stars.To me hockey isn't about loading up lines with guys who can punch and barely handle a puck in front in the net, it's about finesse and setting up 3 way passes to beat the goalie.

For sure. I hear people trying to dissect hockey down so often

I think hockey is the one sport with incredible balance- it's not just any one thing. You can watch MMA or Soccer, or Track... all opposites of each other. Hockey has it all: unparalleled team spirit, incredibly fast plays, huge hits, giant athletes, requires great senses, and it still demands the most talented hand-eye and fineness. The hits and dangles and skill just keep going up with every draft year.

That's why to me it is without a doubt the best sport on earth :thumbsup: